Hey guys, as some of you may know I just got a Peavey JSX head a few days ago. Well, the tubes I ordered came in, and now I'm wondering: how do I bias a tube amp? I have a millimeter, and the red and black probes that come with it. The JSX has a red and black input on the back for testing, so I take it I match the colors?

Another quick question, I was told that since I have 6L6 tubes, I want to bias it around 36ma...will the multimeter read 36, or is it testing all four at once? If it's testing all four at once, would the number read 144 on the millimeter? Thanks guys.
The test points on the back of the JSX aren't for measuring the power tubes bias. With the JSX you can adjust the bias by ear with the bias trim pot. (next to the power tubes in front of the phase Inverter preamp tube) The dials sweep is small an safe to adjust yourself. Counter clockwise turn for hotter bias, clockwise turn for colder bias. Turn it while the amp is on and listen with your ears. Then leave it where it sounds good. Bias settings are only recommended. Players like their amp biased a bit colder as well as hotter. It's up to and your ears.
Some people say, "don't do it yourself if you don't know what you're doing" But these people aren't JSX owners and haven't a clue about the amps bias trim pot dial, it's range or it's capabilities.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Hey Van Noord, thanks for your help, it worked great! Now my amp sings! Thanks for the help dude
Be careful adjusting your bias by ear. If you adjust it to hot, your tubes can die much faster.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
And sometimes faster means a matter of minutes! I remember the first time I biased my amp, biased a little too hot unintentionally, and thought to myself "wow what tone!" took a look at the tubes, glowing like red hot coals! Yeah, those tubes lasted about a total of a week or so...
Quote by locosenor13
Hey Van Noord, thanks for your help, it worked great! Now my amp sings! Thanks for the help dude
No prob bud. That bias trim pot is a great feature on that amp. Enjoy!
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Be careful adjusting your bias by ear. If you adjust it to hot, your tubes can die much faster.
On this amp, the supplied bias trim pot dial sweep it too small to put the amp at any risk.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Ah. for clearing that up, then.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I heard that peavey will be coming out with a 1x12 combo version of the JSX. The owner of a local guitar store said that they are releasing it at the LA trade show in a few days? is this true? If it was it would be kickass.
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.