ok, i'm wondering if anyone would be kind enough to suggest some good economy picked licks or whatever, in metal songs.
something that would sound good in technical/progressive death metal?
i'm lazy, i'm sorry.
Alternate Picking >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Economy Picking.

lrn2AlternatePick
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K

lrn2AlternatePick

Personally, I think Economy is better, esp. when it comes to string skipping and sweeping passages (Not like crazy fast OMGZ WTFBBQ sweeps but yeah).
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by V.U.K

lrn2AlternatePick

Dude, learn to economy pick. once you learn how, alternate picking just seems stupid.
of course i can do both, but why skip over the string to up stroke when you can just simply down stroke?
explain to me why you think alternate is better?
Yea, I'm not that great at economy picking but when I practice I like the way it feels. Definately worth learning if your alternate picking is good.
Sorry to be a noob and break into it but

Got any examples of economy?(What it looks like what bands use it alot)
Quote by skate_guitar
Dude, learn to economy pick. once you learn how, alternate picking just seems stupid.
of course i can do both, but why skip over the string to up stroke when you can just simply down stroke?
explain to me why you think alternate is better?

its all opinion.
Quote by SGlover69
Sorry to be a noob and break into it but

Got any examples of economy?(What it looks like what bands use it alot)

check youtube, they have many vids.
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
its all opinion.

yeah, i guess it'd be opinion but economy is still that much easier/quicker once you get good at it.
^this is true.
i think his intention was to tell ts to be proficient at both techniques-or if it wasnt then thats my advice.
try apreggios from hell-yngwie malmsteen, its got quite a bit economy picking, and it can 'expand' your ideas of how to structure songs i suppose
Alternate picking has one big advantage which leads to a better overall sound. With economy picking you lose your timing and rhythm. The better you are at it, the less noticeable it is; however, going from a super strict down up down up to a loose down down up etc kind of thing really can make a big difference. Not to mention you have a bigger pick attack with alternate compared to economy... Petrucci and Gilbert compared to Yngwie.

If you're playing with wierd time signatures it's easier to follow alternate picking than economy as well.

That being said, when soloing, it's great to be able to use both. If you're making a really tech rhythm, you're shooting yourself in the foot using economy.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Alternate picking has one big advantage which leads to a better overall sound. With economy picking you lose your timing and rhythm. The better you are at it, the less noticeable it is; however, going from a super strict down up down up to a loose down down up etc kind of thing really can make a big difference. Not to mention you have a bigger pick attack with alternate compared to economy... Petrucci and Gilbert compared to Yngwie.

If you're playing with wierd time signatures it's easier to follow alternate picking than economy as well.

That being said, when soloing, it's great to be able to use both. If you're making a really tech rhythm, you're shooting yourself in the foot using economy.

ahh you make a very good point.
i've actually noticed it's difficult to keep time, and that if you want to sound more aggressive you tend to go slower because you need to use more of the pick.
i'm a strict economy picker... haven't played alternate in so long that i can't even use it anymore. keeping time was a little harder during the few months of transition, but with practice that problem went away...

i've found that when playing with dynamics it's more difficult to maintain a consistent volume (at least on an acoustic).

however i feel string skipping to be easier with economy picking than it was when i was playing strict alternate picking.