I have a Marshall MG250DFX. It started out well and I liked it for a while, then I realized it doesn't get loud enough for me. The tones are descent, but definitely not what I paid for. I don't play in a band, but I do jam with friends and I would like something with a little more versatility. I use a Gibson SG Special Faded with Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbuckers. I mostly play music in a Jimmy Page style but still go anywhere from blues to metal like Iron Maiden. My Marshall also does not have enough effects for me. Is there an amp out there that produce similar but better tones than this amp? My price range is anywhere below $600. Thanks a lot.
used Egnater Rebel if you can find one, pretty good amp and loud enough for small-ish gigs. Tubes are generally louder than SS, depending on how they're rated, but dont let low wattage scare you. Tube tones are worth the money, btw.

Big MG's are **** because MGs (15 watts, not a ****ing stack either) belong in a bedroom, not making other people's ears bleed.
Most tube amps don't come with effects (aside from the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade) but if you really think you need them, look into a Line 6 Flextone, possibly used.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
peavey classic 30? traynor ycv40/50?

they only have reverb, though. but with any luck they'll sound sufficiently better than your MG so that you won't care...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Either a Peavey Vypyr 75w or the 60w when it is released. It's a similar idea to the Marshall but a million times better. Alternatively, get a cheap valve amp like a Valve King or Laney VC series and invest in a few well chosen pedals.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Dont look for an amp with effects, that's what effects boxes are for. An amp is for tone/volume.
Quote by shoolocomous
Dont look for an amp with effects, that's what effects boxes are for. An amp is for tone/volume/overdrive/distortion.

better. and +1.

though some amp-based tube-buffered spring reverb/tremolo etc. can be cool. EDIT: it's debatable if it even has to be tube-buffered to be honest.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 8, 2009,
you are right effects should be played with pedals. With that aside any other suggestions for amps?
Versatile amps in that range include the B-52 AT-112, Peavey Classic 30 (would probably struggle with most metal without an OD) and the Traynor amps, Palomino V50, Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 (although the jury is still out on how they sound seeing as Peavey keep pushing them back) and the Kustom Defender.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Dave_Mc
better. and +1.

Meh, I meant tone as in clean tone / dirty tone, but whatever, you were probably right to clarify for amp newbs
Quote by shoolocomous
Meh, I meant tone as in clean tone / dirty tone, but whatever, you were probably right to clarify for amp newbs

haha, no worries, as you said, it doesn't hurt to clarify it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You have a 250 watt amp it does not get loud enough for you but you don't play in a band. Where are you playing this amp do you have your own stadium or something.
Quote by stujomo
You have a 250 watt amp it does not get loud enough for you but you don't play in a band. Where are you playing this amp do you have your own stadium or something.

My thoughts as well.
Quote by stujomo

250 in this series of amps means 2-50 watt speakers= 100 watts total
yeah it would be ridiculous to have a 250 watt amp. 2 50watt speakers does not necessarilly mean 100 watts. they both max out at 50 watt giving me maybe 60 so no its not loud enough for me.
Quote by cdziok
yeah it would be ridiculous to have a 250 watt amp. 2 50watt speakers does not necessarilly mean 100 watts. they both max out at 50 watt giving me maybe 60 so no its not loud enough for me.

I see well get yourself a an old Marshall 100Watt tube amp.
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
I see well get yourself a an old Marshall 100Watt tube amp.
Yes.

But he will probably want an attenuator with that! or maybe a 50-watt version instead
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Yes.

But he will probably want an attenuator with that! or maybe a 50-watt version instead

He's looking for LOUD though... not quiet...