noone seems to take music as serious as i do...whenever im in a band im either pissed off cuz no one ever wants to practice or just unable to handle the lack of skill someone else has on their instrument. im a junior in high school that just wants to be in a good band... does it become easier in college or is it the same story?
im in high school and i did have that same problem in the band im in, but its gotten better. I think in college it would get better if you went to a music college to find band mates, but its a matter of looking for the right people.
Maybe you could calm down and have fun? Fair enought there are times to be serious but don't get annoyed with poeple that have less skill. I don't know about college but perhaps find local musicians that want to be serious.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Oh man I know just what you mean! I've been playing guitar for 2 years and 2 months and everytime I'm playing and people ask me how long I've been playing, I tell them to guess and everyone always guesses 5 - 8 years. But my amount of skill that I apparently have (I don't think I'm too great though, just okay) makes it hard for other people to play around me I guess. Cuz musicians around here can play around everyone... except me.

And I'm 15 by the way so sorry I dunno about the college thing.
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
i hate the guys that just do it for the girls or cause they think it makes them cool...
I'm Tyler
Quote by guitarmageddon0
noone seems to take music as serious as i do...whenever im in a band im either pissed off cuz no one ever wants to practice or just unable to handle the lack of skill someone else has on their instrument. im a junior in high school that just wants to be in a good band... does it become easier in college or is it the same story?
Yeah I feel ya man. There are a few good musicians in my school, but of all my friends and acquaintances no one is either serious or a skilled musician or not in a band. I am currently in a band and my band members are mediocre players at best and hardly have any musical knowledge.

I believe it does get easier in college. I was jamming with my brother and some of his friends (they're all out of high school) and they were really good. They knew what they were doing and how to jam and they were skilled players as well. It was such a relief for me.

Quote by Corruption
Oh man I know just what you mean! I've been playing guitar for 2 years and 2 months and everytime I'm playing and people ask me how long I've been playing, I tell them to guess and everyone always guesses 5 - 8 years. But my amount of skill that I apparently have (I don't think I'm too great though, just okay) makes it hard for other people to play around me I guess. Cuz musicians around here can play around everyone... except me.

It's nice to know other people get this.
Last edited by food1010 at Jan 8, 2009,
I'm in college and well, it's not that much better. You have free time, but everyone's in college to pursue another career so the musicians who are working **** jobs and it's play music or nothing for them just aren't there. Granted, you will have access to music school students, but I haven't had very good experience with any of them...

Just keep looking though, you'll fill in the pieces gradually.
"Be as radical as reality."
- V.I. Lenin
It does get easier as you get older. The kids who exhibit those tendencies that the serious players find annoying:
-not showing up for rehearsals
-don't practice between rehearsals
-just plain suck
-want to be in a band for girls, booze, cool factor, etc
-show up to rehearsal and screw around
-etc.

Those players tend to get pruned out of the running at a rate directly proportional to how much of a pain in the ass they are to work with.

And to that, we all say "good riddance."

By the time you're 25, over 95% of all the players you know will no longer be playing actively. Take that to the bank.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
It does get easier as you get older. The kids who exhibit those tendencies that the serious players find annoying:
-not showing up for rehearsals
-don't practice between rehearsals
-just plain suck
-want to be in a band for girls, booze, cool factor, etc
-show up to rehearsal and screw around
-etc.

Those players tend to get pruned out of the running at a rate directly proportional to how much of a pain in the ass they are to work with.

And to that, we all say "good riddance."

By the time you're 25, over 95% of all the players you know will no longer be playing actively. Take that to the bank.

CT

Agreed, there's also the probability that those young kids that wish to take music more seriously are usualy more naturaly talented than the average musician of a similar age.
People develop musical ability at different rates, so at the younger end, there will be a greater range in that age group of abilities, and those with more natural talent will naturaly feel held back by those without as much natural talent, but as we get older, talent tends to even out between musicians.
Quote by Corruption

It's probably because you're ****, tbh.
it gets easier to find the kind of band your looking for as you get older.
serious bands wont take someone under 18 seriously, mainly cause of the immaturity, the need to go to school, and well the lack of passion people younger have.
I personally don't even talk to people under 19 about the spots open in my band. or if a collage student that's a no no.

for now you just have to tough it out jam with bands that you may not like so much just to gain the experience for when you try to join a serious band.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
dude i just got into high school (grade 10) and it gets worse
even if u and some kid are both fellow musicians they wont play with you because you are not there friend, or they dont like the way u dress, or ur not popular
face it us teenagers are retarded in a thousand different ways
im in the same position and the truth is many kids in jr. high and high school only play their instrument because their mom pays for the weekly lesson.
real musicians that take things seriously keep playing when they turn 18 and older.
until ur that age there is going to be tons of retarded kids who arent REAL musicians
Last edited by hamartia at Jan 29, 2009,
my advice is this: once you're of legal age to play in bars and actually do the band thing... just be picky. Warm up to the idea that it might take you a year to find a proper lineup of people who meet all your criteria. As you get older, the competency factor goes up, but so do other differences, such as taste, availability, long-term goals for a band, etc, etc etc... once you find the right lineup, things will start happening.
Honestly, take it from someone who is in college... its not THAT much easier.

Sure its a little bit easier, because in high school... you know everyone who plays each instrument (most likely) and you generally know most peoples skill levels and their specialties. Its just as hard to find a really great band in college... even in my jazz program, there are pleanty of people that don't have great chops (mostly drummers.... oddly enough). Not only do you need to find people who are capable serious musicians, but also, people you just click with in social situations. Theres no point in being in a band with the best instrumentalist in your area if hes a complete douche of a person, because you'll get annoyed and angry very quickly.

And why shouldn't he be annoyed Tenacious D'er.... maybe playing in a shitty amature high school band isn't fun for him. Maybe fun to him is being able to play music that sounds somewhat good and together, and when you have musicians who aren't technically that good, it gets VERY frustrating.

Anyways, you'll definitely have a much better chance at achieving the kind of band you want in college. But that doesn't mean its easy.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Most kids don't take it very seriously when you are younger. That's why we don't see more Black Tides and Silverchairs.
Quote by hamartia
dude i just got into high school (grade 10) and it gets worse
even if u and some kid are both fellow musicians they wont play with you because you are not there friend, or they dont like the way u dress, or ur not popular
face it us teenagers are retarded in a thousand different ways
im in the same position and the truth is many kids in jr. high and high school only play their instrument because their mom pays for the weekly lesson.
real musicians that take things seriously keep playing when they turn 18 and older.
until ur that age there is going to be tons of retarded kids who arent REAL musicians

Wait... isn't high school supposed to be "the best years of your life?"

Sorry... I just have to laugh at that load of crap they tried to sell us when WE were in high school.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
in high school, I was in a little group that was me and a friend of mine. he played a pretty awesome piano, and I played a pretty awesome guitar. NOBODY knew. are practice sessions included going to the jazz room during lunch and going to the jazz room after school. we were definately not the most famous kids in school, so when the talent show came, we were so psyched because we were great. when we went around to look for a drummer(just a drummer), nobody wanted to do it.
That's how unpopular we were. One day in the music room when we were both practicing stuff, I turned the music teacher's amp to 9. I leaned the amp toward the window(the jazz room overlooks the playground). I told my friend that we were gonna play "steppin' out" by the bluesbreakers. I opened the window, and nobody noticed yet. than I turned the amp on, and started to play. everybody looked at the window and saw me and my friend playing this music.
After that, when we asked a drummer to play that song he said yes.

that was one of my happier musical moments in school, I loved it
Quote by willwelsh816
in high school, I was in a little group that was me and a friend of mine. he played a pretty awesome piano, and I played a pretty awesome guitar. NOBODY knew. are practice sessions included going to the jazz room during lunch and going to the jazz room after school. we were definately not the most famous kids in school, so when the talent show came, we were so psyched because we were great. when we went around to look for a drummer(just a drummer), nobody wanted to do it.
That's how unpopular we were. One day in the music room when we were both practicing stuff, I turned the music teacher's amp to 9. I leaned the amp toward the window(the jazz room overlooks the playground). I told my friend that we were gonna play "steppin' out" by the bluesbreakers. I opened the window, and nobody noticed yet. than I turned the amp on, and started to play. everybody looked at the window and saw me and my friend playing this music.
After that, when we asked a drummer to play that song he said yes.

that was one of my happier musical moments in school, I loved it

Sounds cool, but in my old highschool I think people would have laughed at that song.

As for the thread, it gets no easier in college in my opinion, I'm still the only one in my band to have done any work or to even seem to want to play an instrument. The real shitter is that there's no-one else I know or know of that even plays other than friends who are equally shit musically.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables