In a month or so, I'm going to pick up a martial art and eventually a second. Next year I'm also going to start wrestling for my high school, so I want the martial art to be something to supplement that area and such.

I've narrowed it down to Jiu-Jitsu and Judo, but I'm going to make my secondary a definite of Muay Thai.

So would any practitioners out there please help me to decide which would be more help?

Much thanks.
From my limited knowledge of martial arts, it sounds like jiu jitsu would be much better, since muay thai is a striking style.
Jiu-Jitsu. I love it. My Brother also trained in it with Hoyce. Good stuff.

From a wrestling point of view, You're not always going to be on your feet. That's why Jiu-Jitsu is better than Judo. although i've always wanted to learn judo. That's good stuff too.

Muay-Thai is striking, Mostly. So if you're doing it for wrestling go Jiu-Jitsu.
Last edited by Euchre at Jan 8, 2009,
Judo, it has all those crazy throwdowns and submissions and crap.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by StevenJ128
From my limited knowledge of martial arts, it sounds like jiu jitsu would be much better, since muay thai is a striking style.

The choice is between Judo and Jiu-Jitsu; the gym allows for a second style to be practiced, so I'm going to make that Muay Thai for variety and so that I can whup my friend's ass in tournaments, as he goes to an opposing gym.

Thanks for your input, though.
whatever helps you with your balance. if you can control your hips well when you're down then it'll help. what weight you planning to wrestle?
I'm Tyler
Quote by Octtwe88
whatever helps you with your balance. if you can control your hips well when you're down then it'll help. what weight you planning to wrestle?

140-150, if possible.
Any martial art would help because they all have some form of fundamental technique that involves using your opponant's weight/momentum against them, but Judo would probably transition best to wrestling because it uses a ton of takedown/submission style moves.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Look up sambo; is actually rather helpful, but mainly if you're a bigger guy; the higher up weights tend to do more throws, which is mostly what sambo is. Of the two you mentioned, I'd take Judo over Jiu-Jitsu.

I was the captain of my wrestling team in high school, at a rather low weight (125); if you don't have experience with wrestling, then here's some advice: martial arts would be helpful in the higher up weights where throws are more common, but lower weights use normal single- and double-leg take-downs much more often, and throws are a rarity. I think I was thrown once as a sophomore, wrestling one of the top wrestlers for that weight class in the state.

It's your call; but I'd recommend going to off-season wrestling camps and building up technical proficiency and endurance.

Hope this was helpful.

-Gunpowder
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Soul-Monger
140-150, if possible.

oh i see. i wrestled 189 and 215 through school, most fun i ever had. good luck and work your ass off, you'll regret it if you don't
I'm Tyler
is it brazilian jiu-jitsu?

edit: isn't judo more for chokeouts and striking? are chokeouts allowed in wrestling?
Last edited by atthedrive-thru at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by Octtwe88
oh i see. i wrestled 189 and 215 through school, most fun i ever had. good luck and work your ass off, you'll regret it if you don't

Quite a few of my friends wrestle at that weight, but I think I'd have a bitch of a time getting up to it, considering I'm 5'6'' and about 135.

I think I'll try that my Junior year, though. Shan't be too hard. I've got the heart.
Quote by Soul-Monger
Yes, I think. I'm not sure if they offered Japanese.

well that's supposed to be good for ground grappling isn't it? and wrestling like that involves a lot of being on the ground or close to it doesn't it?

edit: i'd go with the jiu-jitsu, in addition to learning chokeouts you learn joint locks and stuff and i know that's allowed in wrestling, and it'd be good to learn the ground defense like slipping out of holds and stuff would be pretty beneficial to wrestling i would think
Last edited by atthedrive-thru at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by Soul-Monger
Quite a few of my friends wrestle at that weight, but I think I'd have a bitch of a time getting up to it, considering I'm 5'6'' and about 135.

I think I'll try that my Junior year, though. Shan't be too hard. I've got the heart.

Actually, you're gonna want to cut back as much weight as possible, which isn't that difficult, considering how much weight you sweat out during practice - personally, I used to lose 3-5 pounds per practice, though I'd gain some of that back from eating.

In the off-season, I was usually around 135, and during the season I cut down to 119.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Gunpowder
Actually, you're gonna want to cut back as much weight as possible, which isn't that difficult, considering how much weight you sweat out during practice - personally, I used to lose 3-5 pounds per practice, though I'd gain some of that back from eating.

In the off-season, I was usually around 135, and during the season I cut down to 119.

yeah he's right lol. shed weight, but dont try too much. i would lose up to 8 lbs or more some practices. of course i'm a bigger guy too.
I'm Tyler
Are you talking about an addition to aid you In MMA or just Grappling? If you want something to aid you in MMA best next 2 you could do is BJJ and Muay Thai,if your talking about just grappling go with BJJ and Judo
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny