well heres my situation, i really screwed up and got the marshal mg 100 half stack based on what one of the guys at the guitar center near me said about it. ive been hearing alot about how tube amps are so much better then the mg and how the mg is terrible. ive been struggling to get a good get up kids-ish sound out of my amp but after hours of playing witht he settings and hearing about how awful the mg's are ive preety much given up, so im wondering if i should get a new amp head and if so which kind should i get(preferably a cheaper one in the 500$ range).
$500 ain't much for a tube head, i'd suggest upping the budget
and what genera do you play
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
OP, you won't really find many quality heads for $500. You could probably find a good combo for that much, such as:

Palomino V50
Crate V50
Peavey Classic 30
B-52 AT-112
Line 6 Flextone
Mesa/Boogie F-30 or F-50 or DC-3 or 5

Most of these you'd have to find used, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
OP, you won't really find many quality heads for $500. You could probably find a good combo for that much, such as:

Palomino V50
Crate V50
Peavey Classic 30
B-52 AT-112
Line 6 Flextone
Mesa/Boogie F-30 or F-50 or DC-3 or 5

Most of these you'd have to find used, though.

+1
The Classic 30 can get a good british pop punk tone.
You should be spending 800-1000 on the head. At least. And I'd assume you plan to use the MG cab. Dont.
If you insist on a head though, look at bugera. They have relatively nice tube heads for around $500. Not sure if it fits your genre, but no doubt its a good amp for what it is.,
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ