hey guys.

i am having a really big problem. this is THE BIGGEST problem i hav ever had!
i dont know how to harmoize!!
i tried youtube videos, UG lessons, everything! i just dont really get it!

can someone please just describe how to harmonize into 3rds in the easiest way possible? please.

thank you guys.
Quote by voleurz
stick it in the butt and pee
Learn theory. There's no "easy" way to describe it because it's not a simple thing you're asking. If you want to learn how to harmonize you're going to need to understand basic music theory, specifically the intervals of the major scale...so get studying.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Easy. You have to know the key you're playing in and chord theory. Here's a basic lesson. Let's say we have a song using the chords C, F and G. These are the I, IV and V. If we know the key of C, which is:

C D E F G A B C

We know that the 3rd is an E. An E is actually in the Cmaj chord.

Let's look at F:

F G A Bb C# D# E

The 3rd in this chord is an A, which is also in an Fmaj chord.

How about G?

G A B C D E F#

The 3rd here is a B. You guessed it. The B is actually in the Gmaj chord.

FWIW, you can also harmonize with the 5th, or any other note that fits from the key of that chord.
just turn each note into a chord and play the higher or lower part.

what do you mean?

Easy. You have to know the key you're playing in and chord theory. Here's a basic lesson. Let's say we have a song using the chords C, F and G. These are the I, IV and V. If we know the key of C, which is:

C D E F G A B C

Let's look at F:

F G A Bb C# D# E

How about G?

G A B C D E F#

FWIW, you can also harmonize with the 5th, or any other note that fits from the key of that chord

i get how the 3rd note in the c maj is E, but how would you play like a riff and harmonize it into 3rds
Quote by voleurz
Quote by TDG Tabs
what do you mean?

i get how the 3rd note in the c maj is E, but how would you play like a riff and harmonize it into 3rds

Find the key you're in and just take the thirds from the associated chord progression. If you can't understand that then you're not ready to learn to harmonize yet and need to study some of the more basic bits of theory.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by KG6_Steven

C D E F G A B C

Let's look at F:

F G A Bb C# D# E

How about G?

G A B C D E F#

FWIW, you can also harmonize with the 5th, or any other note that fits from the key of that chord.

wow..i didnt even ask this question and it help me understand harmonizing a little bit more
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
This is a very difficult question to answer. One needs a good understanding of theory to comprehend something like this. I think the easiest way to do this, is just to tell you which patterns to use.

This pattern applies to notes played on the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th strings. If playing a G at the 3rd fret of the 6th string, we can harmonize this with the 3rd by also playing the B on the 5th string and 2nd fret. As I mentioned earlier, this applies to the 3rd through 6th strings. On the 3rd string, for example, if we're playing a C at the 5th fret, we can harmonize on the 3rd by playing the 2nd string, 5th fret. How's that? You can also do some inversions, but this should be enough to get you going.
How to harmonize, put simply;

1. Find which key you're in (We'll use G Major as an example)

2. Play G

3. Harmonize with B

^^That's harmonizing in a 3rd.

Why?

Let's look at the G Major scale

G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G

G is the root note of the scale, otherwise known as the first interval.

B is the 3rd note of the scale, otherwise known as the 3rd interval.

From basic chord theory, what do the first and 3rd interval make when put together?

A chord! (Or a diad for those theory nazis)

So if you want to harmonize another note in the scale with another in major 3rds, you just count 2 notes up the scale.
so say if im playing an A on the 6th string, i would go up 2 notes which is a C and move up a string?
Quote by voleurz
play the third that exists in that key.

if your playing in C major and harmonizing and D note, the harmony will be F because F is the third of E and F exists in C major.

However in a key likeG major where F is sharp, the harmonized note of D will be F# becasue it exists in the key.

it may not work all that well if you are trying to do minor thirds in particular keys and whatnot, but that is the general idea. at least for thirds anyway.

easiest way: play the scale of the key you are in. find the note you are playing, and continue playing the scale two notes higher. the second ntoe AFTER the note your trying to harmonize is the harmony
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
I just realized I messed up the key of F. It should be:

F G A Bb C D E

Knowing how to figure out these keys is also beneficial to figuring out chords. We can easily construct chords using those notes. We know that a major chord is 1, 3 and 5. This is F, A and C. We know that a minor chord is 1, b3 and 5. This is F, Ab and C. We can also create our maj7 and any other chords from this information. This is all part of theory.
ok, so an exaample wise... how would you harmonize this?

e|---------------------
B|---------------------
G|---------------------
D|--------10----------
A|-----8------8-------
D|--8------------0----

can you tell me what key and stuff?
Quote by voleurz
Quote by KG6_Steven
I just realized I messed up the key of F. It should be:

F G A Bb C D E

Knowing how to figure out these keys is also beneficial to figuring out chords. We can easily construct chords using those notes. We know that a major chord is 1, 3 and 5. This is F, A and C. We know that a minor chord is 1, b3 and 5. This is F, Ab and C. We can also create our maj7 and any other chords from this information. This is all part of theory.

if hes asking how to harmonize thirds then i dont think hell understand constructing triads and stuff..
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Quote by TDG Tabs

e|---------------------
B|---------------------
G|---------------------
D|--------10----------
A|-----8------8-------
D|--8------------0----

what song is it?

find the key of the song, and pick each individual note there. find that notes third in the scale like i mentioned in my first post, and play those. those will harmonize
Quote by wannabe jesus
Quote by TDG Tabs

e|---------------------
B|---------------------
G|----------9---------
D|-----7--10-7------
A|--7--8------8------
D|--8------------0----

Here's how I would do it. The E, or open 6th string, is not in the key we're playing and sounds very odd. I have no idea what the chords are behind this, but if I had to guess, I'd say it could be the key of Cmin. Cmin is derived from Ebmaj. This is the reason why the E doesn't sound good.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Here's how I would do it. The E, or open 6th string, is not in the key we're playing and sounds very odd. I have no idea what the chords are behind this, but if I had to guess, I'd say it could be the key of Cmin. Cmin is derived from Ebmaj. This is the reason why the E doesn't sound good.

most stuff ive seen in drop D is played in D minor cause of the style, which is why i thoguht it was weird to see a Bb in the key
Quote by wannabe jesus
Quote by TDG Tabs

e|---------------------
B|---------------------
G|---------------------
D|--------10----------
A|-----8------8-------
D|--8------------0----

I don't know what key it's in, as far as I can tell, there's A#, F, C, F, D played in order and I don't know what to harmonize the A# with, I'll just take a guess though

e|---------------------
B|---------------------
G|---------------------
D|--------10----------
A|-----8------8-------
D|--8------------0----

e|---------------------
B|---------------------
G|---------------------
D|--------14----------
A|-----12-----12------
D|--12------------ 3----

No idea if it sounds correct but I don't know what key you're in.

Quote by KG6_Steven

He's playing in Drop D, not Standard.
Last edited by XianXiuHong at Jan 8, 2009,
Remember, don't limit yourself to just diatonic thirds. Octaves and fifths work well too. And you can create a pretty cool feel just playing major thirds off all the notes whether it is diatonic or not (Readymade by RHCP has a good example of this). And some of the best harmonies are two unrelated melodies that happen to blend together well.
Really, just go with what sounds good.
the song is never too late by three days grace.

how do u know what key your in and how can u figure it out?
Quote by voleurz
Wow, not that I think about it, I can harmonize, but I don't know how I'm doing it! XD
I guess it helps that I'm in band. After a while of hearing/playing the melody, intervals that sound right just pop into my head and I play them. I'm better at it with a grumpet or french horn, but it comes to me with the guitar sometimes too.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Things like that aren't meant to have a harmony line to it.. it'll just sound funny if you try it. Not to say there aren't ways to work in another guitar part.. but that method will sound awkward. Essentially, learn theory, that's all there is to it.

Thirds aren't the only way to harmonise either - there's also 6ths though not too many modern players seem to utilise them. Not to mention 5th's, but entire lines harmonised in them sound... strange. Unless that's what you're going for - I've written harmony lines in 4th's because it's so off to our ears and fir what I was trying to write.