I've wanted to delve into (listening) classical music for a while (not just classical guitar). Can someone give me some "beginner's" pieces (or if there's already a classical music thread somewhere, link please) thanks.
Quote by Turkeyburger
It's not cool to make fun of people with disabilities.....

(Being Norwegian is a disability)

Quote by BK202

Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
Nice acceptance of music.

TS, try the classic guitar forum.

EDIT:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Oh you mean the one I helped create and modded extensively?

Yeah it's a good forum. Seems like you've never been in it though nor know anything about it as one of my threads is a sticky.
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at Jan 8, 2009,
Beginner's pieces?

Do you want to play or start listening?

I recommend Bach's Inventions

Invention No. 13 is my favourite

Haydn's symphonies are pretty cool aswell

Beethoven Piano Sonata 13 in C Minor Movement 2 is epic

Moto Perpetuo by Nicolo Paganini is an extremely technical violin piece comparable to modern day shredding.
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt

Don't worry Dread, I understood.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Thanks for suggestions, but I don't intend to perform them on guitar and I mean like the famous symphonies and pieces by the Beethovens, Mozarts, and Bachs of past.
Quote by Turkeyburger
It's not cool to make fun of people with disabilities.....

(Being Norwegian is a disability)

Quote by BK202

Last edited by cloudjessie42 at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt

Someone's new here :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOVwokQnV4M

Bach's "Air on the G String" is a good starting place. To follow up, there are a lot of collections of classical music floating around; go pick yourself up a copy.

Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by XianXiuHong
That's 20th century

20th century =/= classical

To clarify, "classical music" includes:
  • Baroque (1600 - 1750) - Bach, Handel
  • Classical (1750 - 1800) - Mozart, Haydn
  • Romantic (1820 - 1900) - Beethoven

There is also 20th Century classical music.

You could just start with a Classic FM playlist, but here are a few popular ones:

Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata , 5th and 9th Symphonies
Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 , Air on the G String , Toccata and Fugue in D minor , Magnificat , Mass in B minor
Mozart - Lacrimosa from the Requiem , Eine Kleine Nachtmusik , 40th and 41st Symphonies
Wagner - Flight of the Valkyries
Debussy - Clair de Lune
Straus - On the Beautiful Blue Danube
Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture
Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending , Fantasia on Greensleeves
Last edited by blue_strat at Jan 8, 2009,
bach's brandenburg concertos are nice, but i find most classical music before bethoveen to be somewhat stagnant and lacking emotion.

i more prefer the branch of experimental russian music from the late 1800s and early 1900s.

try Stravinsky's rite of spring. during the first performance, there were fist fights in the audience, people screaming because they were "in auditory pain", and audience members calling out for doctors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjX3oAwv_Fs
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by Craigo
And? I find classical boring and those who criticise me for holding this belief for having a closed mind pretentious.

Now I feel like an idiot, and I'm not sure why...>.>

He said classical sucks, and I didn't think he should put down types of music that he didn't like...

Apparently he is largely affiliated with the classical guitar forum...*cough*

Alright, I said something stupid. Sorry.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt

He said classical sucks, and I didn't think he should put down types of music that he didn't like...

Yep he is a professional twat right enough. Tried to flame everyone.
Quote by blue_strat
To clarify, "classical music" includes:
  • Baroque (1600 - 1750) - Bach, Handel
  • Classical (1750 - 1800) - Mozart, Haydn
  • Romantic (1820 - 1900) - Beethoven

There is also 20th Century classical music.

There's 20th century "classical" music but if you take it apart and analyze it, it sounds completely different to the traditional classical pieces, the phrasing, the techniques and alot of the sounds are so different.

20th century music also allows alot more room for "wrong" notes while classical follows an incredibly strict set of rules where even a note that sounds in place will be "wrong" due to the rules of classical phrasing made in that time.
Quote by XianXiuHong
There's 20th century "classical" music but if you take it apart and analyze it, it sounds completely different to the traditional classical pieces, the phrasing, the techniques and alot of the sounds are so different.

20th century music also allows alot more room for "wrong" notes while classical follows an incredibly strict set of rules where even a note that sounds in place will be "wrong" due to the rules of classical phrasing made in that time.

They are very different, you're right, but both are lumped together into the genre of classical. Just so the TS doesn't get confused if he hears about new classical music being released this year.
Quote by blue_strat
They are very different, you're right, but both are lumped together into the genre of classical. Just so the TS doesn't get confused if he hears about new classical music being released this year.

Quote by SoWrongItsMatt

Yeah he was just joking.
He plays, and I'm pretty sure writes, classical music.
Check out Gyorgy Ligeti
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Dvorak - 9th Symphony "From the New World" / Largo

Joplin - Maple Leaf Rag

Beethoven - Sonata op. 13 "Pathetique" 2nd movement

my 3 favorites.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Rhapsody in Blue-Gershwin.

Awesome song. And from someone whos favorite band is RATM.
I am an officially ordained Dudist Priest.

"Human beings are miraculous for their ability to learn and adapt from their mistakes, but even more so for their apparent disinclination to do so." Douglas Adams
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
bach's brandenburg concertos are nice, but i find most classical music before bethoveen to be somewhat stagnant and lacking emotion.

i more prefer the branch of experimental russian music from the late 1800s and early 1900s.

try Stravinsky's rite of spring. during the first performance, there were fist fights in the audience, people screaming because they were "in auditory pain", and audience members calling out for doctors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjX3oAwv_Fs

I tend to be into the experimental russian music too. I'll bet you're a fan of Shostakovich too, amirite?
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
i really really have gotten into Dvorak's string quartet no. 12 (american) and shostakovich's string quartet no. 8.

both (but probably more the dvorak) i would say are easily listenable peices for someone who isn't into classical too much.
member of The Yes Club
member of the Ten Years After Club
member of the Allman Brothers Club
member of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club
PM deadhead313313

member of the Queen Fanclub!
PM Hanzi_G
Beethoven's Egmont Overture is a really cool piece. And check out Corelli's Concerto Grosso in G Minor. Great piece as well.