This is a question I've been wondering for some time: When it comes to punk rock music, why does it seem like THE WORSE IT SOUNDS, THE BETTER IT SOUNDS?

Okay, before you get all mad, I'm not bashing punk rock. I like it, but in some ways "The worse it sounds, the better it sounds" seems to be the motto. I wish I could give a REALLY good example, but I can't even think of one right at the moment. It just seems like the more screaming, loud, and out of tune a song is, the more the audience likes it...so, my question is: is this true for most punk rock fans?
example 4 u- any time the sex pistols performed live
edit: and no, that's not true for me
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
i see what you mean but i totally dont agree
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
An example would be Johnny Rotten. His singing was so terrible that everyone. including myself, loves it. As for your actual question I can't answer for I only dabble in punk. The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Jam and The Misfits.
It's mainly about what the music stands for, rather than the music itself. That was the story early on anyway.
Quote by crazy8rgood
This, stockylachy, if i was a woman, i would want you to have my babies...

Wait...
i don't agree with the "The worst it sounds, the better it is"...
screaming in punk sounds good...well, just sometimes...
the more energy it has, the better it is. sometimes that means sheitier playing, but sometimes not. it really depends what band it is.
love is love // return to dust
Quote by 311_4_Life
Punk is just straight up no bull**** rock, thats all.

dude u say this but u have 311 on your name
Punk has a focus on message over musicianship, and it usually serves as a release more than anything. Some songs do tend to sound rather grating, but there's a lot of punk that has a good sound, too.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
ok punk rock is just ****ty music played by ****ty musicians who strum the same 3 ****ing power chords over again, play polka beats and couldnt play a guitar scale or a solo to save their lives
A ton of punk has a clean studio recorded sound and a lot of punk has a gritty lo-fi sound, both have their charms. Punk is about the energy and connection with the audience, I think that's the most important part of punk. That's why people base their whole lives around this genre, there's an intense connection between the people going to show and the people playing them. Most bands play about either something you can relate to or get behind. Punk isn't about having a clean sound that you polished in the studio, it's not about sounding exactly how you sounded on the album at your shows, it's about going out there and giving people the best time of their life and just playing with a huge amount of energy.

Quote by xxko0lkid92xx
ok punk rock is just ****ty music played by ****ty musicians who strum the same 3 ****ing power chords over again, play polka beats and couldnt play a guitar scale or a solo to save their lives

Get out, you're in the punk forum. I can't even begin to explain how close minded and wrong you are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q45EZ9LLW4Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAMFHT6BGO0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSiAx7u8k5Q

I can come up with even more examples if you wanted.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by xxko0lkid92xx

Sounds like someone doesn't listen to enough Dead Kennedys.
Quote by xxko0lkid92xx

Hey. Shh.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by xxko0lkid92xx

Ya dewd punx r dumm

Jack my swag
ya thats y nobody has ever heard of any of those bands and theyve never done anything. nobody will remeber them and nobody cares about them.
If you call those guitar solos than your out of your ****ing mind, you should be allowed on this site, its called ultimate-GUITAR.com not ultimate-isuckatguitar.com
Quote by xxko0lkid92xx
ya thats y nobody has ever heard of any of those bands and theyve never done anything. nobody will remeber them and nobody cares about them.
If you call those guitar solos than your out of your ****ing mind, you should be allowed on this site, its called ultimate-GUITAR.com not ultimate-isuckatguitar.com

Obvious troll is obvious, bands like Dead Kennedys, The Minutemen, Fifteen, Television, and Black Flag(just naming some bands with good guitarists) have made huge impact on so many people's lives and trust me, they will be remembered. Why do you come into the punk forum and attack our favorite form of music which is basically like personally attacking us? I don't do that to your favorite genre, so stop, nobody gives a shit about anything you say.
Quote by xxko0lkid92xx

tell me punks can't play guitar at all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frr_DPsWtWk

Jack my swag
Last edited by gopherthegreat at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by xxko0lkid92xx
obviously you all do since you keep replying back, if u didnt care you woulda stop

If you post here looking to get owned, you will. I won't lose any sleep at night over your pathetic attempt at trolling, I just felt like owning someone.