Last night when I was practicing scales I was noticing that they sound from the amp was cutting in and out a few times. The amp is only 7-8 months old, so I would not expect the tubes to be bad. I checked the cables and then all seemed to be firmly in and not loose. I switched guitars and still had the same problem.

Since I am new to tube amps, where do I start? (When practicing today I did not notice anything but of course am still worried.)

Thanks in advance.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Sounds a bit like a power tube problem, if I had to guess.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Sounds a bit like a power tube problem, if I had to guess.

Is there an easy way to (1) identify which tube that is and (2) check it out? (I remember in my early youth days--1960s--going down to the local hardware store with the tubes from the black&white TV and plugging them into that machine that had where you matched the tube fitting to the special plug fitting on the machine--there were like 75 different sockets--and test the tube, but I suspect that's not they way it is done any more )
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Well, volume fluctuations or an overall volume drop are usually good ways to know that power tubes need replacing. And when it's time to replace a power tube, you generally want to replace the whole set, not just one.

EDIT: But beyond just being able to tell from playing, I dont know how to tell you when power tubes are dying. I know that pre amp tubes can get microphonic.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Last edited by TNfootballfan62 at Jan 8, 2009,
First of all I would try a different Cable from your guitar to your amp.

THen I would buy some new tubes and try them out (Very easy to do on a YCV50... take back wood cover off with the 2 screws. THen slips tube holder (with springs) to one side and pull tubes straight out. Insert new ones and away you go)

If it still does the cutting out... take it back. You have 2 year warranty.

Its always a good idea to keep some spare tubes around anyways... When I get an amp I try and figure out what tubes would give me the sound I most want, then use the stock tubes in case of an emergency.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the tubes are el34's and I buy my tubes from

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=10&sub_category_id=79

Dougs tubes is another online place.

How do you like your YCV50? I LOVE mine.
Last edited by stangconv at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by stangconv
How do you like your YCV50? I LOVE mine.

Thanks, that is extremely helpful. Where would I get the tube holder?

I like they Traynor a lot but I am just learning how to use it and get different tones out of it. If there is a great tutorial on the web some where, please let me know.

Again, thanks for the help.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by jcoley2

The tube holder is part of the amp. It's just a piece of metal with springs attached that holds the tubes tightly in their sockets.

As for your problem - I'd change out the cable first.

I noticed you also said "all" the cables....does that mean you're using pedals? If so, make sure they all have fresh batteries or the adapter is connected firmly (if you use an ac adapter)
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Guitartist
I noticed you also said "all" the cables....does that mean you're using pedals? If so, make sure they all have fresh batteries or the adapter is connected firmly (if you use an ac adapter)

NO, I meant the one cable that goes to the two channel pedal that came with the amp.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by jcoley2

I like they Traynor a lot but I am just learning how to use it and get different tones out of it. If there is a great tutorial on the web some where, please let me know.

Again, thanks for the help.

not really a tutorial but there are some settings and other info. Join the group and feel free to ask more questions!!!

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/traynor/

also this thread i mega helpful!!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=905651&page=7&pp=40