What's up fellow guitarists. I have a dumb question today, and although I know many, who like me, will be unable to answer it, I know there is at least one or two dudes browsing through here daily who have got to know, or at least be able to lend some hints.

Typically, I write my songs with a chord progression first, and then add the lead using whatever scale is in key with the progression. Makes perfect sense. I use a lot of ionians, phyrgians, pentatonics, all that.

But lately, I've been writing the melody first, and sometimes I write a good one that I know is in some key, but I just don't know what key it is. Now, I'm unsure, I know with chord progressions say it is G C E or something like that that would mean it's in the key of G or Em. Cool, but is it the same with melodies as well? Like, I know what notes are in my melodies, and the one I'm working with now is this

G a a# c d
c a# c a# G

G a a# c d
c a# c

Can someone tell me what a good chord progression might be behind this?
The times they are a changin'.....
Sounds like the key of G minor.

You're going root, 2nd, minor-3rd, 4th, 5th, 4th, minor-3rd, 4th, minor-3rd, root.

Uh for chord progressions, how is that riff played? Just like, 8th notes?

Gm to Cm sounds pretty good. Change chords when the melody hits G or C.
Last edited by NorseGodofRock at Jan 8, 2009,
See what u can do it create a chord progression over the (1) beat note of the bar say if the melody opens with a G, Use a G Chord or G inversion. Basically this will complement the melody line quiet nicely, but its up to you to experiment with different chords

you then can follow the key and follow the chords in intervals, say go iv - vii - iii - vi - ii - v - i
thats a sort of jazzy sort of progression
Quote by one vision
The A sharps should be B flats if it's the key of G minor.

yeah but he didnt know what key it was in in the first place.
but its all good
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic