I posted on here earlier that I couldn't find a good guitar solo tone...so one of the methods I tried to do with my Randall RG50TC (which I was told was a good amp) was to "crank" it. So, I turned it on a pretty high volume (about 4 or 5, pretty dang loud) and kept the overdrive channel at around 7. My tone (both solo and rhythm) sounded terrible, my amp almost sounded country trebly when it was supposed to be a metal amp...I don't understand why. I had my mids at around 7.5, treble around 8, and bass around 7, so I kept most of them at equal or close-to-equal EQ.

Am I doing something wrong?!
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by stratman_13
Were you in a small room?

Just a normal-sized bedroom.

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
You often have to eq a tube amp at high volume levels because the tone changes when you turn it up.
Myself, I have my half stack eq'd to sound optimal at high volume only, as I don't ever play it quietly.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
You often have to eq a tube amp at high volume levels because the tone changes when you turn it up.
Myself, I have my half stack eq'd to sound optimal at high volume only, as I don't ever play it quietly.

I was not told this, danke I thought it might be a problem with eqing.

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Yes, EQ'ing amps at high volumes is best. I did mine at band practice yesterday, and now it fights better with the mix. Also, trying to crank an amp in a bedroom is never really going to sound good.... Too many soundwaves bouncing off the walls causing disruptive waves.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
sorry to hijack this but can someone link me to a good how to thread on eqing? I suck at it and its taking me forever to go through the searchbar search results. hopefully this will help ts too
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
Quote by Van Noord

this one. i had the same problem at first, but now that i have my eq setup a lot better it sounds a lot better. especially loud cleans
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by prsrulz91
sorry to hijack this but can someone link me to a good how to thread on eqing? I suck at it and its taking me forever to go through the searchbar search results. hopefully this will help ts too

Boost your mids. I tend to lay heavier on the bass, as Strats are bright. Go somewhere where you can turn your amp up decently loud without getting much environment distortion.

Go from there. Hope that helped
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I always thought you should turn down your mids for metal leads but i could be wrong seeing as though i don't play metal and have my mids on 9 or 10. but try that and see of you like your lead tone a little more.
Metal Rythm = Scoop Mids

Any Lead = Boost Mids.

Which is why I want that Mid Boosting system David Gilmour has on his strat.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by stratman_13
Yes, EQ'ing amps at high volumes is best. I did mine at band practice yesterday, and now it fights better with the mix. Also, trying to crank an amp in a bedroom is never really going to sound good.... Too many soundwaves bouncing off the walls causing disruptive waves.

Good idea...thanks again...was wondering why my amp NEVER sounded good loud in my bedroom haha

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Also, country players tend to EQ their amps with everything on a similar level (6, 6.6, 7, etc.), so that could also be contributing
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by V.U.K
Metal Rythm = Scoop Mids

Firstly, there's another 'h' in 'rhythm.
Secondly, no. Just no.

Not all metal bands scoop their damn mids. In fact a lot of metal bands I listen to boost them.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I play Meshuggah/Periphery type stuff and CRANK my mids. Not much treble as the presence adds enough for me.
nope

my amp sounds best around 3-5. i get speaker distortion after like 7

10" ftl
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by joe_k
I always thought you should turn down your mids for metal leads but i could be wrong seeing as though i don't play metal and have my mids on 9 or 10. but try that and see of you like your lead tone a little more.

Wouldn't that sound a bit....bad? =S
Sweet.
Quote by BC_Warlock
Wouldn't that sound a bit....bad? =S

nah it thickens up the tone and also helps you cut through the mix when your playing in a band. but thats just my opinion. i haven't really sat down and played with my eq on my new amp but it still sounds nice to me.
Amps change as they get louder. My solid state Vypyr (which I do love, mind you) sounds good with a treble boost at low volume. At high volume it sounds icepicky it's so trebly.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
As much as I hate the sound of totally scooped mids, I equally despise the sound of too much midrange.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I have a similar problem. I have a telecaster going into a tube amp, and i play in a band with no bass guitarist, so i always end up having the bass around about 10, mids and treble on 8. Is there any way i could increase the bass?
Quote by Bradders0707
I have a similar problem. I have a telecaster going into a tube amp, and i play in a band with no bass guitarist, so i always end up having the bass around about 10, mids and treble on 8. Is there any way i could increase the bass?

an EQ pedal can boost it
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by Bradders0707

raise the bass side of the pickup.
use the neck more.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Bradders0707

EQ pedal and use your guitar's tone knob.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia