Ok, I was walking around a local computer store and all the sudden...BAM I actually found a PCI video card (not PCI-E just PCI, I know my computer is crappy), I check the price...10$! How could I go wrong? (Its an ATI 128mb Rage) it was used of course so I buy it and ask the guy behind the counter for an installation CD, he says I doesn't need one and I didn't feel like arguing.

Go home pop open my side panel pop the puppy in and fire up my computer...and my monitor refuses to even recognize my CPU. My Computer is turned on by my monitor is just black. So after a tantrum, I fiddle around for a bit, I disable my old card, I switched ports. The best I got was the default blue screen with the picture of the green hill in the center with no start menu, and task manager would not show.

I couldn't find any manuals on line, though I did read something about plug and play I'm going to try and update my PCI slots.

Some help would be appreciated. I here the windows welcome tones in the back ground but my screen in black.
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb
I think it's a type of fish.

PM me for GP5
Also I accidentally uninstalled my on-board card so now I am viewing everything in a cool-4bits.
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb

PM me for GP5
Is your power supply providing enough wattage?
Quote by tonedeafidiot
DANG IT! That's like the 3 freaking time today I've made an idiot of myself!
So you cant download drivers? Try hitting Control-alt-delete and going File>New Task and then typing Explorer.exe. That might get your icons and start menu up.
Umm there is no Monitor so I can't hit the task manager, as for teh power supply I checked and I have more than enough juice, plus the monitor is ON during all this just now showing anything.
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock

so true ^.

Quote by smb

PM me for GP5
Shameful bump, I really don't like 4-bit...
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock

so true ^.

Quote by smb

PM me for GP5
Buy a new PC.

If not,
how are you posting?

Seems to be working fine...
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by sneyob
Buy a new PC.

If not,
how are you posting?

Seems to be working fine...

I took out the card...which is why I am currently viewing your comment in 4-bit.
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock

so true ^.

Quote by smb

PM me for GP5
Quote by freedoms_stain
Sounds like you need drivers for the card.

Drivers won't install unless the graphic card is in the PCI Bus, and when the card is in the PCI Bus the monitor doesn't work...
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock

so true ^.

Quote by smb

PM me for GP5
Quote by k1ng_pooh
I took out the card...which is why I am currently viewing your comment in 4-bit.

I see.

Ah, the glorious 4-bit.

But yeah,
you should go to ATI's website or something.

At the very least, Google it.
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by k1ng_pooh
Shameful bump, I really don't like 4-bit...

Well, maybe instead of hanging around here, you could go to a computer forum where people can actually answer your question. Just a thought. Or Google. Or the computer thread. Anything.
You're*
Umh, there should be a small round lithium battery inside your computer... Take that out and leave it sit for a while, then put it back in... That should reset the motherboard, thus resetting your original VGA output...

MAKE SURE THE COMPUTER IS OFF WHEN YOU DO THIS (I had to say it, some people are stupid)

If that doesn't work, then I honestly don't know...

About the new card, I agree, it's most likely a driver issue, but like you said... It needs to be in to install it.

Mind giving your computer brand/ model/ specs?
UG's HIPPIE