I'm about 6 weeks into it, so far I've done some of the more common chords, down picking, up picking, alternate picking and economy picking, some 12 bar blues, improv on the 12 bar blues using the one of the pentatonic scales, and just started power chords. Still suck at all of it, but having a blast.

I've been spending some quality time with House of the Rising Sun by The Animals, which is great for some of the more common chords, but looking for something good with Power Chords.

I'm thinking Back in Black? But if anyone has any other good suggestions, I'd be grateful. Song2 by Blur jumps to mind. 70s/80s rock. Nothing complex.
Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. Dammit by Blink-182.
I mention these because although I never use power chords, my band's singer (who plays guitar as well) has us play these because he can't play any chords more complex than power chords.

Yeah, these are 90's songs, not 70's or 80's. Sorry. I can't think of any 70's or 80's ones.
just a cool tip with power chords:

if you tune to drop D tuning (DADGBE), you can just barre the low D string and the A string and you have an instant power chord. useful if you're looking to write your own songs or want to simplify songs.
Fly Away, Lenny Kravitz, easiest power chord song ever.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Stop worrying about them....a powerchord is just the bottom two or thre notes of a normal open or barre chords, so there's nothing to actually learn.

Forget powerchords for the time being and just concentrate on learning open chords and then barre chords. Once you've learned those things powerchords are just a case of "you know that thing you've learned? Play less of it".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Don't change that song - faster pussycat

and yes, powerchords are just part of a normal triad, and once you can comfortably play full chords you won't use powerchords much. But they are easier to play than full chords so let you play songs quicker, and its a lot more fun learning by playing songs than just playing exercises all the time.
It might be a little too early for you, but most of Black Sabbath's stuff had power chords in it, particularly in their early periods. Back In Black uses standard chords (or at least that's how I play it), as most standard AC/DC songs do, just for the record.

Iron Man, Paranoid (the speed takes some adjusting), War Pigs, N.I.B., Electric Funeral. Not so much the latter, but overall, it's a good tune to learn.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
In a powechord, do you have to press down all 6 strings with your finger 1?

That's a Barre Chord. A Power Chord is a sort of mini version if you like.

Anyway, a very easy song is Teenage Kicks by The Undertones. Power Chords with a simple rhythm and there's a small solo that uses the Pentatonic Scale.
Guitars
Vintage V100HB

Amps
Roland Cube 20X

Effects/Other
Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer, Boss DS-1
Quote by GS LEAD 5
In a powechord, do you have to press down all 6 strings with your finger 1?

It doesn't actually matter - as long as you're only PLAYING the bottom two or three notes.

So, if you're holding down a barre chord then you can play a powerchord just fine, all you need to do is not strum the top 3 or 4 strings.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down

Perhaps play Eye of the Tiger, it's really simple, yet you'll do a good job practicing powerchords.
If you like Iron Maiden try Wrathchild theres a couple lead sections that are kinda tricky but the main riff is the same power chord shapes.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor