I wanted to know what is the simplest/least expensive way to record on a computer with decent quality?

It's just for fun so I really don't want to spend a lot. But recording directly to the sound card sounds like absolute crap. (By that I mean it sounds like absolute crap clean; with distortion it's pretty much just noise)

So.. what's a good solution?
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
USB Mike?
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Quote by thementor
USB Mike?

Wouldn't sticking a mic in front of the amp sound pretty bad?

I was thinking of direct input recording.
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
An interface or preamp+better soundcard will help you incredibly. What's the budget? The reason direct in is so bad is because the microphone signal is weak and hard to pick up, and onboard sound is terrible period.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by vartanspartan

I was thinking of direct input recording.

100% of good music (i.e not techno,pop etc) bands just "stick a mic in front of an amp" to record.

Get a decent mic, like a Shure SM-57, and a decent audio interface, for both you could probably get for 120 quid of ebay, if thats too much then just get a worse mic :P
Love is my religion
I use a Lexicon Lamba studio--you can plug an instrument or amplifier into it directly and record yourself with any recording software.
Quote by vartanspartan
I wanted to know what is the simplest/least expensive way to record on a computer with decent quality?

It's just for fun so I really don't want to spend a lot. But recording directly to the sound card sounds like absolute crap. (By that I mean it sounds like absolute crap clean; with distortion it's pretty much just noise)

So.. what's a good solution?

See my low budget recording video at the top of this section of the forum or in my sig...
Quote by vartanspartan

You have to be kidding ...right? Thats the way its been done now for 50+ years!