I've finally decided on the guitar I want (MIM Standard Ash Tele). Im just curious as to what to look for as far as the construction of the guitar. When I bought my other guitars, I didnt even look to see if the neck was constructed properly, as well as many other things. I found out a few minutes after plugging in the guitar afterwards that one of my volume knobs on my les paul wasnt working properly (tough to turn it). So what sorts of things should I look for in my new guitar when comparing maybe 2 or 3 of them. Sorry if I confused anyone

Matt
well, what i do is and this my sound crazy but i play the guitar before i buy it. ya know, so i know if it sounds good, plays good, looks good, and everything works good.
if the body is cracked around the heel, if the neck is solidly attached and doesnt wobble, if the tuners tune well and dont lose their tune easily, open up the control cavity and see if the wires are neatly done (looks professional) or if its all messy (crappy job/possibly done wrong), plug it up and make sure all pots function quietly and well.

those come to mind off the top of my head.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by Fenderhippie69
well, what i do is and this my sound crazy but i play the guitar before i buy it. ya know, so i know if it sounds good, plays good, looks good, and everything works good.

That's not crazy, any smart person should do this.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
check every fret on a clean channel for buzz. if it buzzes mention it to the clerk. if it buzzes horribly just forget it but if its only a light buzz on a few frets a setup with new strings may help

check for neck warp, damages, nicks, etc.
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Quote by Fenderhippie69

Sarcasm is the lowest form of Humor..
Def. play any guitar before you buy it. And spend more than 5 minutes playing it. Your the only one that can decide which one will work for you. As for the guitars construction, just look it over, inspect everything, and try it out.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
You also want to check all the electronics are working and there is no loud hums.
Thanks for the help guys. I've already played the guitar many times lol. Should i have the folks at GC tune the guitar up for me when I buy it? or should I just play it as it comes, and bring it back if I have any issues (I.e Action, buzzing, etc)?
Don't forget to check the frets so that they are evenly dressed and smooth crowned on the edges. This is pretty important
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Also check for dead spots. Play every note up and down the neck, on every string. If it doesnt make sound at all, or if it decays too fast(like a hlaf-second or less, use your discretion), then its a dead fret. I dont know how to fix it, but I'm sure there's a way.

So yeah check for that too.