I just practice with my guitar and I can be SO loud. We're talkin' LOUD. And I know my neighbors are just being nice about it by not saying anything, because I have absolutely nowhere else to practice. Honestly, I how back a lot in my playing because I know I can't be too loud. My question is: what can I do? Where else can I practice (for free)? Any ideas/suggestions would help lots...
Turn down, headphones.
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.
Quote by esp1234
Why do you have to play loud? Can't you turn your amp down?

because it's just not the same! I need to be able to experiment.
Headphones will solve your problem, and it will show you how annoying your loudness is.

So use the headphones, turn it down to where you can bare having it right next to your eardrums, and go. Everyone is happy.
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.
Quote by alex0203
because it's just not the same! I need to be able to experiment.

How bout getting an attenuator? that is if you have a tube amp
Quote by alex0203
I just practice with my guitar and I can be SO loud. We're talkin' LOUD. And I know my neighbors are just being nice about it by not saying anything, because I have absolutely nowhere else to practice. Honestly, I how back a lot in my playing because I know I can't be too loud. My question is: what can I do? Where else can I practice (for free)? Any ideas/suggestions would help lots...

suggestion: have some respect for those that live around and just turn it down. There is no reason for you to play that loud. I can play at a level where you can barely hear it in the next room, and it still sounds great and I can hear it well enough to do what I want to do

Save the volume for a more appropriate setting, like when you are playing in a band or something.
shred is gaudy music
Play with an acoustic guitar.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
Its called "Master Volume"
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Does playing really loud even sound better? I always play failry quiet but I heard some guy say he practises quiet and then goes to GC and cranks the volume and his roomate says "I didnt know you were that good". Whats the deal? does volume make you sound better?
ps. I realize if you arent good then you arent good and volume wont change that, but that aside if your an alright player will you sound a tad better?
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
Does playing really loud even sound better? I always play failry quiet but I heard some guy say he practises quiet and then goes to GC and cranks the volume and his roomate says "I didnt know you were that good". Whats the deal? does volume make you sound better?
ps. I realize if you arent good then you arent good and volume wont change that, but that aside if your an alright player will you sound a tad better?

Not better, but if u make a mistakes your ears will die, which could potentially be helpfull in the learning proces

Anyways, from the sound of it you play through a 30+ watt tube amp, if it doesn't crank out the juice at low volumes.

You should have considered this before buying such amp, and most tube amp's don't have headphone inputs (lol).

Buy a pod or a small tiny practice amp, like a microcube or something.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Freepower
If you have to play loud, and you won't pay for practice space, consider moving to the countryside, that's the only solution I can see...

It's worked for me for a good long time now

MadTaco
"He who controls the past, controls the future. He who controls the present, controls the past." - Orwell
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99

well to my perception all music sounds a bit dull when below a certain volume. it sounds muffled, like a blanket covering it. i think it has to do with sound pressure. actually feeling the bass frequencies adds so much to my music experience, playing at (very) low volumes simply don't move enough air to feel that

also when playing at louder volumes you'll hear yourself better
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Amplifiers sound thier best when they're being 'pushed' near to thier limit, I have the same problem with my neighbours. Using headphones is the most obvious answer however the tone is nowhere near as good unless you have some properly wicked (ie EXPENSIVE) headphones.

Sorry to say this dude but you're just gonna have to turn down the master.

...or just fcuk the neighbours! this is rock and roll after all!....
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
You've chosen a hobby where practicing at home is unfortunately nowhere near as satsifying as performing in your chosen arena. Much like a horse rider, swimmer or firework maker you're limited in what you can do at home, whether it's because of space, practicality or simply due to the need to be polite.

In short, deal with it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Headphones are the best solution. If its so loud and (presumably) distorted your ears are bleeding how will you hear what mistakes and sloopy playing you make during practice?
Egg Cartons are supposed to be good for sound proofing, if nothing else I'm sure it'll reduce it a little. I'd check the local mcdonalds, in my small town when I worked there we went through a hella lot a day, and they're about 2x2 ft. I'm sure they'd give you some for free or for extremely cheap since they throw them away anyways.
Kill it with napalm.. (sorry.. i read this on here somewhere.. i just had to use it)

I live in a pretty quite neighbourhood.. Just close the windows and all the doors and you should be alright..

Or maybe consider soundproofing your room if thats not too drastic..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer