My acoustic only came with one strap button, and I have to tie the other end around the headstock with some yarn. This has been bothering me because it slips off of my shoulder when I stand up. Is installing a strap button a do-it-yourself project or should I take it to a professional?
Take it to a pro. You need to have one installed on the heel of the neck, but if not done right, you'll crack the heel. I'll do most anything else to a guitar, but this is one thing I leave to a repair shop. If you decide to tackle it yourself, you need to drill a pilot hole for the screw. The pilot hole needs to be of sufficient diamter to prevent the wood splitting. If you take it to a pro and they ruin it, they just bought you a new guitar.
when you stand up it falls of your shoulder, implying that you are sitting yet have a strap on. that's pointless.. of course the transition is going to make it fall off.. it happens on electrics too with 2 strap buttons. if you're standing up, it's gonna stay there. tie it in front of the nut up my the tuners and have it go over one shoulder, under the other. and as far as i know, you woudn't want to install another one because of cracking wood and stuff. if you REALLY want to and dont care too much about your guitar, you could probably drill a hole through and put a nut on or glue it with something really strong (like gorilla glue or an epoxy)

i wouldn't recommend doing anything though.. try buying a new strap.. there's some that are made for going around the neck there.. go to GC's acoustic room. they have special straps in there
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Is the whole tie the shoestring around the headstock of the guitar a safe thing for your guitar? Should I be worried about the pressure that may be put on the neck to hold up the guitar?
Quote by rangeralex
Is the whole tie the shoestring around the headstock of the guitar a safe thing for your guitar? Should I be worried about the pressure that may be put on the neck to hold up the guitar?

It's fine. There's nothing to worry about. Just don't push really hard on the guitar with the strap on(which is something you shouldn't be doing anyway).
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
If we are not perfect in any thing we should not put hands in that. So my suggestions for you is just go to professional and learn how to install another strap button.

Jeanguitar