Did everyone now that olp has packed it in?
http://www.olpguitars.com/

i was shocked when i went to look at their site just before.

is this a time to buy up all olp's for future price increases?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
SUBs were actually made by Ernie Ball in the same US factory as reguar MMs, not just licensed by like OLP was.

I heard about this today though. "Sterling by Musicman instrument line"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FG3ZSiKrYE

I truly hate the idea of this new line.

They are suppose to be SUB replacement not cheap like OLPs.
Last edited by Miss G at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by Miss G
SUBs were actually made by Ernie Ball in the same US factory as reguar MMs, not just licensed by like OLP was.

The SB14 in red looks pretty sexy!

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Sterling by Musicman...

Didn't they stop SUB and OLP production because it wasn't profitable, and they were going to make only high end stuff?

What an excellent business model, bringing back a failed product that didn't make any money. Ford might as well bring back the Pinto too.
Quote by Captain Insano
Sterling by Musicman...

Didn't they stop SUB and OLP production because it wasn't profitable, and they were going to make only high end stuff?

What an excellent business model, bringing back a failed product that didn't make any money. Ford might as well bring back the Pinto too.

My thoughts exactly. They stopped the SUB due to poor profits, they scrapped OLP due to their "poor build quality", which got better last year (In his own words).

Saying that, I loved reading this on the Ernie Ball forums, "If u wantz teh top of teh range bass, pay ova a grand 4 it!11". I think Squier would be a great company to look at for Ernie Ball. Everybody knows the VM, everyone here has at least played in a shop because of the hype. I'm sure at £200-£250 per bass the Squiers are making profit right now. The Squier is using the hype that Fender creates, this interests people starting bass when they read "Squier by Fender". Use both your companies to their advantage, can't get the £500 Mim Fender, buy the £200 Squier. Bored of that and want to "move up", buy the Mim Fender, then MIJ/MIA Fender.

The SUB was selling for about £500. This is more than an Ibanez SR500, SR700. Fender MiM Jazz and P Bass. Spector Legend 4. Hell, that £500 could get a passive Warwick Corvette first hand. Their prices were silly for the market they were aiming for.

If you're in the UK and you wanted a Stingray copy, you bought a JHS Vintage for £140, it came with Wilkinson pup, Wilkinson bridge, Wilkinson tuners and came in nicer colours. Even the OLPs were over priced, what was the twin pup model called? The MM32s? They were close to Ibanez SR500/Fender MiM J/P price!

Ernie Ball confuse me with their ways.

EDIT : Convince that friend of yours who gave up on bass to give you their OLPs, then wait 5 years and stick it on eBay.
Last edited by Micehorns at Jan 8, 2009,
I thought this was old news. I'm almost tempted to say OLP went down before SUB did.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I thought this was old news. I'm almost tempted to say OLP went down before SUB did.

Ernie Ball stopped the license with OLP about a year ago, maybe two now. But it appears that OLP has recently stopped making instruments full stop.
Quote by Miss G

They are suppose to be SUB replacement not cheap like OLPs.

Any idea what the retail price of those is? I'm a Musicman fan but I can't afford a real one.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Vampire 255
Any idea what the retail price of those is? I'm a Musicman fan but I can't afford a real one.

well I saw a NOS SUB Stingray being sold for $775. So I'd assume it will sell for between $500 and $800.

I'd like to know if these are going to be made in the US.
Quote by Miss G
well I saw a NOS SUB Stingray being sold for $775. So I'd assume it will sell for between $500 and $800.

I'd like to know if these are going to be made in the US.

What's NOS?

And fuck, if it's going to cost that much I'm screwed.

Quote by Vampire 255
What's NOS?

And fuck, if it's going to cost that much I'm screwed.

new old stock

but if these turn out to be great basses you might see used SUB being sold for less
Quote by Miss G
but if these turn out to be great basses you might see used SUB being sold for less

I like the way you think.

To eBay. :P

Quote by Micehorns
If you're in the UK and you wanted a Stingray copy, you bought a JHS Vintage for £140, it came with Wilkinson pup, Wilkinson bridge, Wilkinson tuners and came in nicer colours. Even the OLPs were over priced, what was the twin pup model called? The MM32s? They were close to Ibanez SR500/Fender MiM J/P price!

Wishes he'd read this before getting the OLP on monday. Still better then the tbird I was playing though.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That isn't one of your basses with a f*cked up neck is it?

Yeah, it's pretty damn warped! If OLP have gone down the pan and it'll be worth something it may be worth taking it to a pwoppa good luthier.
Quote by Captain Insano
Sterling by Musicman...

Well if you think about it, the first hatchback Focuses looked like a newer version of the Pinto so...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by Micehorns
Ernie Ball stopped the license with OLP about a year ago, maybe two now. But it appears that OLP has recently stopped making instruments full stop.

Ah, yes. That's what I meant.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
[Me watching the video]

Come on! Show me a cheap Bongo!

No! I don't want none of that Ringstay crap.

Maybe the one after this...

Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
Quote by Ivanator
[Me watching the video]

Come on! Show me a cheap Bongo!

No! I don't want none of that Ringstay crap.

Maybe the one after this...

It wouldn't a Bongo though, you'd just get the shape.