Hey, I bought a new guitar (epiphone PR5-E) and when I plug it in no sound comes from my amp, just a buzzing sound. I checked and the guitar has batteries in it, the built in tuner works and all just it doesnt work plugged in. Should I just return the guitar or is there anyway for me to see what the problem is?
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Maybe it's a bad cord? Switch it and see.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
I use the cord with my other two guitars, and I've switched cords anyway.
Lets try the really simple trouble shooting... because you never know.

- amp on?
- wires plugged all the way in?
- guitar volume on?
- amp volume on?
- 1/4 input(on guitar) screwed in tight?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
yes....... I know the input jack works because when I plug it in the lights on the control panel thing go on. I guess it just doesn't work.....
Try a new battery. I know, you said it's got one in it, and the lights light up, but it could still be the problem. Battery may not have enough juice to power up the entire pre-amp circuit, only the lights. And those little LED's don't need much to turn on.
Also, you didn't answer one key part of captivate's post...

Do you have the volume on the preamp and the amp turned up?

Also, make sure you don't have the tuner turned on. I am not sure which pickup system that model comes with, but some systems clip the output to the amp when the tuner is turned on.
Quote by jimtaka
Also, you didn't answer one key part of captivate's post...

Do you have the volume on the preamp and the amp turned up?

Also, make sure you don't have the tuner turned on. I am not sure which pickup system that model comes with, but some systems clip the output to the amp when the tuner is turned on.

I was just going to post that. When I have my Breedlove plugged in, no sound comes out while I have the tuner on.

Also make sure the patch cord is in all the way on the amp and your guitar. Sometimes people don;t push it in all the way.
I tried it wit the tuner on and off, I tried new batteries today as well, and yes I messed with all the knobs including dynamics and the phase switch, nothing works.
Sounds like it's time to bring the guitar back. At least have the store guys try to get it to sound through an amp at the store. Then you can decide if you want to exchange it or not.
are you using a stereo cord? If so they can work on some instruments but not on others. You should use a non-stereo cord.
I already shipped the guitar back, so a new one should come in.

But since we're here, could you explain what a non stereo cord is? I figure all guitars use the same cords, lol.
Last edited by MedicreDemon at Jan 10, 2009,
Nope, not the same. A mono cord is a single channel cord, and has only one black seperating band around it. These are for your guitar. A stereo cord has two channels of signals to convey, so it needs two seperating bands between them. Here's a pic of a mono adapter. Notice there's only one black band around the plug end.