Poll: Large or Small hands?
Poll Options
View poll results: Large or Small hands?
Large
17 35%
Long
31 65%
Voters: 48.
Page 1 of 2
Hey UG,

'Kay so, recently, my friends and I have been debating hand/finger sizes, and how/if it effects guitar playing.
Personally, my hand size appears to be long, but is actually normally sized.
I have a couple of guitar-jamming buddies that have pretty big hands. And they're kind of new to guitar playing, so they're not that good. But I say they have a chance of learning pretty fast.
In my case, my normal sized fingers seem to hold me back. Especially my pinky; it's hard to use my pinky when playing on the 8th fret and above. I've been playing for.. actually I'll use "since" this time.. Since November '05, but didn't really practice much until about June '06. So you can say i've been playing for either 2 and a half years, or 3.
Anyways, I've been playing for that long, and I'm not that capable of playing fast solos *pinky situation and such*. Yet I see online 'Tubers that claim they've been playing for 2-3 years, and those of which have long fingers.

Lately, I've been wanting the need for long fingers. But nooo, my mom had to marry a normal sized finger guy. Ahaha jk =P

Hmm, most of the Music Industry guitar playings have fairly long fingers.
Such as,
Dimebag Darrell,
Slash,
Buckethead,
Muhammed Suiçmez of Necrophagist (if you don't know him/them, check 'em out. They're great *death metal*)
Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield,
and the list goes on.

Now, short fingered players.
Uhmm.. I only know of.. 2 players with small hands:
Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom,
and Michael Romero of Symphony X.
That's all I could think of. But then again, these 2 guitar players are amazing.
But if you know more, list 'em. =)

3..2..1.. Discuss!

*EDIT*

Sorry People,
I made a mistake in the polls !
1st option was supposed to be .. as it is.
Second was supposed to be "Small" instead of "long."
I don't know how to edit it :S
R.I.P. Witold "Vitek" Kiełtyka and Dimebag Darrell.

My Gear:
Dean Two-Tone Razorback
LTD MH-50 w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DK2 Dinky
Ibanez RG350MDX
Line 6 120w Spider III
Marshall MG30DFX
Roland Cube 30w
Last edited by metallirock08 at Jan 8, 2009,
I wouldnt say it will determine if you will be a better guitar player, but it certainly helps having larger hands.
[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q264/chw42/spiderjamesPJsig.png[/IMG]
Have you ever seen Steve Vai's hands??!! Jesus... he could strangle 10 people with 1 hand... his hands are that huge...
Dimebag reminded me of the kind of person that has sausage fingers.
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
Quote by Lord Of Donkeys
no, my cousin Ben Lacy has fat stubby fingers and he is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulC9TUqIjtg&feature=related

That was cool

Did they title it "Cashmere" to imply that it was a cover tho?
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Eric Johnsons hands are relatively small, but just look at him freaking go on Desert Rose.

EDIT:
Quote by Chikao42
Satch has relatively small hands.

I dunno about that, he does some pretty ridiculous stretches on Surfing with the Alien.
Last edited by captainoid at Jan 8, 2009,
i met Slash, shook his hand, checked it out...i was curious.
he seems to have about the same size hands as me, and i think mine are big, but my fingers are less than ideal for huge streches, as they are fairly short, and really man-stubby.
so if it helps, finger size is what matters, but as my friend's guitar teacher says, "you don't need to have long fingers to play, because the notes all repeat themselves on the string above. If you can reach 6 frets, you're fine."
Quote by creeping.death!
Thick finger are better for chords. Thin fingers are better for shredding.

unless theyre complex jazz chords. then you need as skinny fingers as possible.
I have no opinion on this matter.
People with Morfan's syndrome usually are tall and have big hands, such as Robert Johnson. Pianist Sergei Rachmaninoff had huge hands that let him compose things that most people can't physically play. I suppose similar principles could be transcribed to guitar, having long fingers does give you an advantage, I suppose.
Quote by MorbidBeliever
Have you ever seen Steve Vai's hands??!! Jesus... he could strangle 10 people with 1 hand... his hands are that huge...

+1
He can probably play all three necks on his three neck Ibanez simultaneously
I am so tired of rhetorical questions. Or am I?
I've noticed when people start out on guitar, they tend to find some sort of physical impairment that excuses their playing. "My hands are too big/small" "My fingers are too long/short" "My wooden leg makes me sit at an awkward angle" "My massive penis is getting in the way**" etc.

If you practice, you get better, regardless of how you're built physically. So no, it doesn't matter.

**As far as I know that's only ever happened me, Jimi Hendrix, and Lemmy from Motorhead
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Jan 8, 2009,
I've always wondered how guys can be so good with fat fingers like zakk wylde has, I have skinny medium length fingers and I play fine so I don think that it matters much.
My fingers are skinny so they look long, people make dumb excuses like having too big of fingers so they can't play. Or that their fingers are too short, it's pure bull****, I tell them to stfu.

Quote by Gargantuan
This is why they make big and small fretted guitars

and
Quote by Garou1911
"My massive penis is getting in the way**" etc.

**As far as I know that's only ever happened me, Jimi Hendrix, and Lemmy from Motorhead

It does make things difficult, though, doesn't it? I suppose I've just learned to deal with it...
I have big hands.

Which is why I'm getting a seven stringer, because six string guitars feel small in my hands.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Big hands= Les Paul
Tiny hands= Stratocaster

Nothing else needs to be said in this topic.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by nalyd
It does make things difficult, though, doesn't it? I suppose I've just learned to deal with it...

It's a daily battle, my friend. You've just gotta find a way around it (*rimshot*)
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
You silly goose, guitars don't have hands or fingers
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Yea, it's just an excuse.
Hand size doesnt matter unless your hands are just SO tiny.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by creeping.death!
Not really. Big fretted guitars are better for shredding, while small fretted ones are better for playing rhytmn.

You know, I've never really figured out how that worked.

Confused the crap out of me.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I have small hands but when I first started playing back in 8th grade with my friends I progressed a lot faster than they did....that shows it doesn't matter if you have big hands or small hands.
Quote by creeping.death!
Not really. Big fretted guitars are better for shredding, while small fretted ones are better for playing rhytmn.

I've heard people say that they like smaller fretted guitars because they have small hands and its easier for them

MC name = Bearrorism
Quote by convictionless
what about both :\
its large and long
wait are we talking about hands?

I'm sorry, only me and Garou1911 have massive penises.
Quote by valennic
You know, I've never really figured out how that worked.

Confused the crap out of me.

For shredding, bigger frets are useful from the twelveth fret onwards, since they are used the most. This also makes it more uncomfortable to play on the first five or six frets, which is where you usually play rythmn.

Hope that made it clearer.
Quote by creeping.death!
For shredding, bigger frets are useful from the twelveth fret onwards, since they are used the most. This also makes it more uncomfortable to play on the first five or six frets, which is where you usually play rythmn.

Hope that made it clearer.

Hm....a bit.

But I've played both small fret and big fret guitars, and the only thing I noticed about the big fretted guitars is that they were more comfortable to play, the small ones just felt wrong to me.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

It does have a effect i have big fingers so when i fret sometimes i fret strings by accident but its not a huge problem though i'm sure long fingered guitarists get a huge boost by being able to fret faraway frets without having to switch frets.
AH.
damnit!
Sorry people, made a mistake in the polls !
Options were supposed to be..
Large
Small
R.I.P. Witold "Vitek" Kiełtyka and Dimebag Darrell.

My Gear:
Dean Two-Tone Razorback
LTD MH-50 w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DK2 Dinky
Ibanez RG350MDX
Line 6 120w Spider III
Marshall MG30DFX
Roland Cube 30w
Quote by valennic
Hm....a bit.

But I've played both small fret and big fret guitars, and the only thing I noticed about the big fretted guitars is that they were more comfortable to play, the small ones just felt wrong to me.

Meh, it's just what they're designed for. You may find them comfortable for other reasons

Quote by Gargantuan
I've heard people say that they like smaller fretted guitars because they have small hands and its easier for them

It depends in what part of the fretboard they play. Have you tried shredding on small frets? It's no fun, I tells ya.
Last edited by creeping.death! at Jan 8, 2009,
Not only does this guitarist have tiny hands, the guitar is as big as she is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZQD2ifP0nE

I think blaming the size of your hands is usually an excuse.
deviantART ||| flickr
┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘
last.fm zune
coryklok is my e-hubby! ^_^
rip Billy Mays <3
Quote by Kata Dante
Not only does this guitarist have tiny hands, the guitar is as big as she is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZQD2ifP0nE

I think blaming the size of your hands is usually an excuse.

Yeah, but I think asians are the exception to every rule.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Page 1 of 2