So I have had this Ibanez SRX 700 for about a year now and I have had no problems with it except just now. the last few weeks I have had family members over to visit for the holidays and I suspect that while I was out (I was usually gone most of the day) that one of them (or more!!) used it (it was down stairs... lesson learned.) and now it will not work at all. The balance knob on the bass was able to move 360 degrees which it has never done before and the bass has no output. I put in a new battery... nothing. Tested my other bass on the amp, it worked. I opened the back and there were two wires just chilling (pictures) I'm guessing they are the problem... I have no idea where they go... maybe one of you do? I have no problem with soldering.
Thanks for the help. Sorry for the bad quality, I took the pictures on webcam.
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/415/fdsfdsfsdjw0.jpg
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/8176/image200901080001no6.jpg
Google bass guitar schematic. There's a link for bass wiring, schematics, and diagrams. I'm not a bass player but I'd bet something on there would help. Good luck.
Also look at the ends of the broken wires and the 2 spots without wires on the pots. Chances are there's a slight difference which would show you where to hook up, I.E. one wire clean break, one wire with solder on it.
The first thing I would do (and have done before) is trace the wires back to every pot, can they reach the pot on the far side? if not, eliminate that pot. Then look ontop for any marks left by the solder, if it's ripped it may have left some shielding on the pot, this marks what colour the wire was that used to be soldered on.

Where do the wires come from? The Pup, pot, input, earth even?
Quote by canadiancc
. The balance knob on the bass was able to move 360 degrees which it has never done before and the bass has no output.

Hold up, check the washer and nut at the back of the pot, they may be loose. Then check the front (Take the knob off and tighten the nut). If it's turning 360, then its not connected correctly. Someone must have pulled it with force and taken the nut right off the pot (either front or back).
Last edited by Micehorns at Jan 8, 2009,