so i found a pretty great deal on a 1999-2002 fender jaguar

i've always wanted a candy apple red jag with a matching headstock (like unhealthily) i love the feel and sounds of these guitars

but before i make any purchases i have to consult UG

im just curious if with my splawn will i be able to get heavier classic rock, hard rock, and some modern stuff (think muse, rage against the machine) out of this guitar with stock pickups

thanks

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Cool guitar, I think the MIJ/CIJ ones still have the crappy, unusable bridge though; that will need to be replaced. And I doubt you could get a hard rock sound out of the PU's stock, they aren't like normal single coils but they sure bite like one.
What music do you play the most? Because it might be able to do it, but the sound will be quite thin and if those are your main genres I'd recommend something with humbuckers instead.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
If this is the version with the dragster humbuckers then it should at least be able to pull those genres off, though the output might just be too low for it to get that muse/ratm tone.

And yeah, those tremolo's really aren't reliable, but i hear nearly everyone who buys one of these replaces it with a mustang bridge, apparantly that works really well.
i plan on putting in a mustang bridge and changing the pickups and tuners

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

then it would definately work and it'll look good while doing so. I love jag's looks, probably going for the hardtail HH myself.
^Bad move, the hardtails HHs suck.

I love my CIJ, (CAR, matching headstock, of course :p the pups stock are pretty low output and weak, but it does everything before metal anyhow. Not too well, granted, some new pups would certainly help out. But it wont really make up for the low sustain bright jangly nature of the jag, without some heavy modding anyway.

The trems great, only problem is the buzzing and rattling of screws in the bridge, as well as the grooves cut in the saddles causing strings to pop out of place mid playing, i reccomend you invest in some Graphtech Stringsavers to replace the saddles with. Mustang saddles + height screws. Win win. And a good heavy gauge, most reccomend 11s, at least, i play with 10-52s and still got a bit of buzz, sorted with some nail polish around the grub screws.

But if its preowned theres a good chance the previous owner allready made most of these adjustments.

Or if not, throw on a buzz stop.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jan 9, 2009,