Yeah, I made a TS thread, but I realized TS's aren't too great for that, lol. So what is? It'd be cool if it would also work as a nice clean boost for like an Andy Timmons kinda thing, but that's probably asking for too much out of one pedal, lol.

tl;dr super tight dist is priority, and a good clean TImmons feel would be nice.

Thanks.

EDIT: I have an MXR noisegate so I don't have to worry up OD'ed hiss just in case any of you are wondering.

EDIT2: Guess I should elaborate on what I meant by tightening up. You guys know the A7x guy's lead tone? Say what you want about the band, but that's a pretty cool tone. Silky and creamy. I don't want it exactly like that, but it's a start.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Last edited by abcdboy at Jan 9, 2009,
Quote by HIM%(^
isnt the 5150 enough...mines moreee then enough gain....

hes not asking for more gain, just to tighten it up a bit

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

new pickups would most likely do that trick. an od would just add more gain..unless you had some sort of eq in your rack...
forgive my noobish question, but what does "tightening it up" mean?
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
Any clean boost or OD pedal will work..

I've used my Bad Monkey, Keeley Tubescreamer and EHX LPB-1 all with great results...

Level 10 Gain 0 is the general rule of thumb with OD clean boostin..
I've heard of a few people using Tube Screamers...
but bleh

Maxon OD808 is the ONLY way to go, imo

It's secks mannnn
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
There is no "best" per se, but there are a lot of different flavors. I've been using a Boss SD-1 for a few years now with good results. I've also used a friend's Keely TS through it for a while and It sounded great as well.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Keep in mind that when using an od pedal in this application you are adding output, not gain.
You then need to lower your amps gain a few notches from what you usually set it to.
I'm also not a fan of maxing the od pedal's level dial to 10 and cutting the gain dial to zero. Instead, I prefer setting the level to 6 or 7 /10 and the gain to 1 or 2 /10. This way your tone isn't "taken over" by the od pedal or "thinned" out.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Edited it some stuff. SD1 and Tubescreamers (maxons included) are on the table. Any more suggestions?
Gear...
Andy Timmons= BB preamp by xotic!

That's what he uses.
\thread
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Maxon OD808 or MXR GT-OD
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Andy Timmons= BB preamp by xotic!

That's what he uses.
\thread

+1

I can vouch for it being a killer boost pedal with the 5150 in particular too. Tightens it up nicely, and doesn't lose lowend like some TS9/808 variants. The bass and treble controls give it a little more versatility than most TS variants too. It's true bypass, and a comparatively quiet OD/boost pedal as far as noise. Works great as a standalone OD too, plenty of gain and drive on tap, just an all around sweet sounding pedal.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jan 9, 2009,
I think I'll get the BB preamp (Unless someone can convince me otherwise). If I do get it, should I put it in front of the guitar, or with the noisegate in the fx loop? If the latter, in front or behind it?

Thanks.
Gear...
Boosts should go in front of the amp (between guitar and amp input). This allows it to "boost" the level of signal going into the preamp.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
I've heard that occasionally EVH used his very old OD-1 with his, depending on the sound of the tubes. Might be something to look into. sent you a PM!