Ive heard of a few famous guitarists doing this, like Tom Morello or the Edge from U2. I understand it is miced through a PA, but even at such at such big gigs that im sure they play, would a 30/40 watt tube combo amp be enough to cut through for the band at that big of a venue? Or are they using there own monitors for extra volume onstage?

Just curious.
The audience hears plenty of guitar via the PA system, and the guitarist on stage gets a ton of guitar sound via their monitors, which the guitar signal also runs through.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Like for them being able to hear themselves? I think they most all use monitors...

I wouldnt see why they would need to be able to hear their own amps, as they have enough money/endorsements to use top of the line in ear monitors.
So they probably have extra monitors on stage just for Amp volume then, right?

Hence the ole saying...you dont really 'need' a halfstack, but they are cool to have. :P
Quote by Ghold125
a PA can do wonders, and add a **** load of volume to you.

This. You could play an arena with a 10 watt practice amp if you wanted to. So yes, you will be fine. Any decent LARGE gig will provide a PA and if they don't, then it isn't worth playing such a show.
Quote by TheCalvinator
So they probably have extra monitors on stage just for Amp volume then, right?

Hence the ole saying...you dont really 'need' a halfstack, but they are cool to have. :P

I've personally only played a handful of gigs where my amp hasn't been mic'd and run through the PA with me hearing it mostly through monitors. It's just how things are done, I play through a half stack for the tone more than the volume. Although I do drive my amp pretty hard, it's always hard to hear the direct amp signal through the bass and drums right near me. So even if you have a half stack, it's the monitors that let you hear yourself.
So when you guys set up your monitors, do yoo just have the vocals coming out or the entire mix of the band?
Quote by TheCalvinator
So when you guys set up your monitors, do yoo just have the vocals coming out or the entire mix of the band?

You can do whatever you like. Usually, front monitors will have the entire mix and the drummer gets the guitars.
EDIT: At a concert that is.
Quote by TheCalvinator

Personally I only run what I absolutely need through my monitors. Kick and snare drum, my guitars and my vocals, and maybe a little of our lead singer's vocals, nothing else. Keeps everything very clear over my side of the stage, I can still hear plenty of bass straight off the amp, and having only a few things in my monitors means you can hear each thing properly.

The trick I was taught is to have as little as possible in your monitors.