so i have a SX jazz and a MIM fender jazz

i just broke a string on my mim fender and i was wondering what size/kind strings i should get since i dont no anything about strings i play RHCP/strokes/blink 182 and i like to play funk and jazz isnt out of the question since im starting to try to read music to join my schools jazz band so i guess is ther a string thats suitible for all thsoe playing styles or at least so so for all of em

question 2 since i broke my string i piked up my SX which i havnt played in a LONG time like since i was rly bad( not that im rly good but im just not as bad) and it seems to have a better slap/pop sound, i was wondering weather that could be because of old strings on my MiM( its from 94 and i bought it used and havnt changed the strings so i dont no how old thye are) or if it could be that it just sounds better

thx in advanced
Quote by Cubertt
so i have a SX jazz and a MIM fender jazz

i just broke a string on my mim fender and i was wondering what size/kind strings i should get since i dont no anything about strings i play RHCP/strokes/blink 182 and i like to play funk and jazz isnt out of the question since im starting to try to read music to join my schools jazz band so i guess is ther a string thats suitible for all thsoe playing styles or at least so so for all of em

question 2 since i broke my string i piked up my SX which i havnt played in a LONG time like since i was rly bad( not that im rly good but im just not as bad) and it seems to have a better slap/pop sound, i was wondering weather that could be because of old strings on my MiM( its from 94 and i bought it used and havnt changed the strings so i dont no how old thye are) or if it could be that it just sounds better

thx in advanced

There are loads of strings out there, it takes awhile before you find the strings that are right for you. You could try Rotosounds, Ernie Ball, Elites, Elixirs, Dean Markley. Just try those more known brands out first. I'd say Ernie Ball Extra Slinky would suit your style. They gave me that Blink 182 style tone. Honestly, try everything out there.

Could be strings, could be action, could be pickups, or your SX is a better bass for slapping. Try new strings on both, see which sounds better. If you have a cheaper bass that sounds better than your Fender then our opinions don't matter, it sounds better to you and you like it? Then that's the most important thing!
thx for the response ill def check those strings out when i go to w/e guitar store i go to but what about gauges i dont rly no whats goin on there
Quote by Cubertt
thx for the response ill def check those strings out when i go to w/e guitar store i go to but what about gauges i dont rly no whats goin on there

First I'd have a look at the Bass FAQ at the top of this forum, it's great for information on EVERYTHING to do with basses. Have a read through, here's the linkage to the string section.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11898228&postcount=7

http://www.houstonbasslessons.com/bassist_faq_about_strings.html

^^ Bottom of the page on this link is a very simple way of understanding gauges. For your type of playing 40-95 or 45 to 105 gauge should be fine.