I am having an emotional dilemma.

I have 3 dogs... a 6 year old Weimaraner, a 2 year old beagle and a very old beagle.

The third dog is over 10 years old and we got him a few months ago. For the past few months he has started marking in 4 or 5 different spots every day. I tried so many different things(enzyme cleaners, different diet, training) and I just don't know what to do. I feel a deep emotion connection to him and he is the sweetest dog in the world half the time but the other half he is peeing in the house, barking(and won't stop no mater what) or just not listening to me. Finally I started thinking that maybe I need to find a new home for him. I want him to have a good last few years because I know he is going to pass away soon but I just don't know if I can handle cleaning up pee 2-3 times a day.

What do you think I should do about him?
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Can I ask why/how you took ownership of such an old dog? Just curious
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
If you can, keep him outside....or ask a professional about the problem. Have you attempted to house train him?
Quote by TagRingo

Well I was at Petsmart and California Beagle Rescue was having a adoption fair and I kinda fell in love with him. They told me he was 4-6 but the vets I have taken him to say he is much older than that.

Quote by direngrey680
If you can, keep him outside....or ask a professional about the problem. Have you attempted to house train him?

I feel like I would rather have him in another home than make him stay outside all the time.

I have house trained him and even retrained him. I believe it is a dominance thing rather than a problem holding it or not know where it is ok to go, because he marks the same areas over and over again.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Last edited by thefrigginbob at Jan 8, 2009,
he's probably losing bladder control unless he wasnt ever house trained at all, which means you will either have to put up with it, keep him outside or give him away or similar.
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
I had a Beagle who left a fresh pee spot for me every morning, and she was 7. She was potty trained for the first 6 years, then apparently on year 7 she either forgot or just didn't care anymore. If it's too big of a deal for you, you may have to give the dog another home. About the dog barking and/or not listening to you; It's because the dog has had different training for a decade and isn't used to you. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, as a phrase goes.

If it's well behaved otherwise, I'd probably hang onto it. But then again, I had a deep attatchment to my Beagle so it may be different in my case.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by TagRingo

I'm gonna go ahead and guess this is one of those situations where a living being "ages" and becomes old.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
we have an older dalmation who does the same thing.....

and after almost a year of it, i'm just wishing my parents will get rid of her. its to the point where she cant even control it, or even be able to make it to the door to be let out, and she just lets it go wherever she stands (i dont ever let her in my room).

so, i would look for another home/professional care before it becomes a much bigger problem, but that is just my opinion.
Quote by tremeloud
I'm gonna go ahead and guess this is one of those situations where a living being "ages" and becomes old.

If you bothered to read the first post like the rest of us you would know he got the dog only a few months ago.
If he is pissing in the house he needs a good beating. Rub his face in it after. He needs to be punished and learn his lesson.

*By beat I don't mean kick the **** out of it, a good kick to the mid section should suffice.
Quote by Guitar Skater
what are beagles like? i want one

Great with children, small enough to take easy care of, but not small enough to cause problems with injury, maintainence. No inherent health problems (like most hounds), very loving naturally, great sense of smell, easy grooming, versatile dog that can be used for many jobs (hunting, drug sniffing, bomb sniffing) protective of its master but probably not the best guard dog. Too friendly for that possition.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
That's what happened to my dog. It would always pee a lot, and bark heaps at night. Then later that year when I woke up to get ready for school my dog was having seizures and we had to take it to the vet... It had to be put down.. It had a brain tumor.

Well ... maybe keep the dog outside so he can't pee inside.

Other than that.. Do what you think is best for the dog.
I am a washing machine. Do as I say.
i too have a beagle and ****ing love beagles

you should get an oil tray like the ones you put under the car and if you have an old family member get them to get those blue pee pads that they sleep on in case of accidents (or otherwise just buy them)

rub a paper towel in you dogs pee then rub the tray just to get the scent

wipe dry

place in spot where your dog pees but only after you have extremely well cleaned the area

put the pads on and when they are full throw em away and replace

thats what we do with our dog because as soon as we moved into the house she found a spot and even if we move the pad she goes in that spot so we but the pad on that spot and it works like a charm

dogs smell where they went before its like an ad saying here i am

i'd work on it and keep her(him)
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
If you really love him so much, keep it and clean everything, it's not his fault, his old.

Unless you think you are not able to take car of him anymor, the you should look a good place for him.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by nikki82
call dog whisperer..just dont take him to the pound.

No, don't call him, he's evil.

Anyways, my beagle is VERY good at doing his wees, and demands to go outside whenever he needs one. Sorry, but I have no real good suggestions at the moment. Except that Beagles are awesome and I fucking LOVE beagles.
It sounds like the dog has either never been house trained or has become institutionalised (which happens because the dog has been locked in a kennel all day, is eventualy desperate to urinate and eventualy does it in the kennel, which it never gets told off for, so it just learns that this is acceptable behaviour.)
Take the dogs out together for a long walk first thing every morning, if they are well behaved and return on command, let them off the lead for a good run about.
This will serve several purposes.
A) It makes your dogs bond more as a pack, which means it stands a better chance of taking the other house trained dogs example of peeing outside as the way this pack behaves.
B) On a long walk, a dog will pee and mark territory all the time, so when you get home, it's tired, more relaxed, (which will help with the barking problem) and above all, empty.

There's a saying, 'You can't teach an old dog new tricks.'
Don't think that the dog cannot be house trained because of it's age because that saying is just bullsh!t, dogs can learn no matter what age they are.
When you catch the dog peeing in the house (and only when you catch it in the act) shout at it (just a couple of words, no need to go over the top, but the dog needs to know you're displeased) and drag it straight outside into the yard.

It is however essential to first make sure that this new dog knows that you are the pack leader. Because it's so much older than the other dogs, they may be treating it as an alpha dog so it might see itself as pack leader. This will not do and will definately need addressing.
The best way to do this is to forcibly pin it down on it's side occasionally, during play is the best time. If it struggles, keep it held down (don't push down too hard, you don't wanna hurt it, be gentle but firm) until it stops struggling then gradualy go from holding it down to gently stroking it in a relaxed manner, but don't let it get up until you've finished.
Once you're established as pack leader, training should be easier.

Also, it may be paper trained. Try getting something waterproof, like a sheet of plastic, put it on the floor and put newspaper on top of it. But only do this when you go out without the dog or go to bed for the night.
If it is paper trained, it'll pee there, the paper will soak it up and the plastic will protect your carpets.
As an older dog, it might have a weaker bladder and simply cannot wait to go outside, so this would be the best solution in that situation.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jan 9, 2009,
Quote by thefrigginbob

I feel like I would rather have him in another home than make him stay outside all the time.

I have house trained him and even retrained him. I believe it is a dominance thing rather than a problem holding it or not know where it is ok to go, because he marks the same areas over and over again.

I was going to say to keep him outside too, odds are he'll do the same thing in another home.
Does he get on with the other dogs? The only thing you can really do is act like you're really freaking angry at him until he stops doing it...
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Guitar Skater
what are beagles like? i want one

stubborn, independant, nose > anything else.

their sense of smell is so powerful that it can directly take control over their behavior.

However they are a ****ing cute and cuddly race, I love them. Miss my beagle more than anything.

oh yeah, most owners aren't dedicated enough to have a beagle sadly.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...