Page 1 of 2
I usually put it on the left-most pickup when i'm playing, but one of my friends who is really good puts it on the very edge of his neck.
Every teacher I had says top pickup, unless your going for specific tones that you need to play on other parts of the bass to achieve.

I find that the area your friend puts his fingers to be very smooth, but it really has no punch.
Quote by Ghost117
I usually put it on the left-most pickup when i'm playing, but one of my friends who is really good puts it on the very edge of his neck.

Is he just playing further from the bridge? That's just to get a different sound.
Quote by Ghost117

It moves around with me, if i'm digging in hard and want a more "Aggressive" tone, i switch to bridge pup. If i'm going for a more mellow approach, it goes to the neck pup. If i'm wanting some fretboard clank, it'll rest on the fretboard. Sometimes I even rest it on the B string when i'm playing on the G string more often....I really should buy the Gary Willis ramp thingy.
For the lower 3 strings I rest my thumb on the neck pickup and for the upper 2 I either rest it on the very end of the neck or let it float.
Beridge pup on my jazz, on my precision I usually go on the pup, but if I'm looking for that bit of clarity so very often want/need, I try to float near the bridge.
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Floating. Rest the thumb 2 strings below the string I'm plucking.
i rest mine on the ridge of my tbird when im playing my tbird or i float depending on the mood
Keep On Keepen' On
I'm trying to get more floating in so I can implement my thumb better. it seems to be working.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I switch positions, both vertically and horizontally. But most of the time I play at three set positions, as close to the bridge as possible, over the pickup and between the pickups. I usually rest my thumb on strings according to the piece I play and what strings are plucked.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
I used to rest on the neck pup all the time, if i moved to the bridge pup i'd start messing up just cause i'm not used to the strings feeling that taught. Thumb will mute the B or E string the pinky does the rest.

However, lately ive been working on plucking with the thumb, index, middle, and ring fingers so you are pretty much constantly floating with nothing you can do about it, its a trade off i'll happily accept though.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
I'll rest it either on the neck itself, or the outer edge of the body. I have a Cort Curbow 4-string, and the action is set so low that the pickup only sticks out about 3-4 mm out of the body, making it almost impractical to rest your thumb on it. The way the bass is designed though, it is actually quite well playable how I play it.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Quote by JessyB96
i rest mine on the ridge of my tbird when im playing my tbird or i float depending on the mood

same here, or the pickups
on the pickup (precision), but I'm 90% plectrum anyway.

I'm considering investing in a thumbrest though...

EDIT: slack lies from me, i digress; i try to rest on the pickup but end up drifting to the neck joint sub-concoisly after a while...
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 11, 2009,
i float
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
On the strings because I play with my thumb, index, middle, and on occasion ring finger. Just like a guitarist on guitar, but I'm a bassist on bass.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
It depends on what tone I want. Sometimes I'll float, other times I'll anchor on a pickup or strings. Sometimes I'll anchor on the fretboard. Other times I'll mute across all the strings at the saddles and play classical acoustic like. It's all dependant on what I want at the time.
Quote by food1010
Depending on the sound I want: neck, neck p-up, bridge p-up.

+1, I play over the bridge pickup for an aggressive growl tone, between neck & bridge pickup for a more mellow tone and on the neck to sound like an upright bass.
I use the floating thumb technique almost all of the time
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
normally on top of the pickups because I find it the most comfortable for me
I Like Green!
It really depends on what I"m playing and what bass I'm playing. I tend to float most of the time in jazz but anchor on the pups when playing blues.
On the pickup, on my bass its the same postion as on a H Stingray so I get a nice tight sound
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
my jazz bass has a thumb rest. I usually rest on the E string on my P.
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
I recently changed my technique slightly, making a huge difference. I used to rest my thumb on the face of the pickup, whichever I'd use, but now I plunk my thumb on the bass itself, resting against the pickup (i.e. infront of the pickup, leaning on it). It's given me a rounder tone, a better picking speed, and less of a wrist angle. Plus, for whatever reason, tighter string spacings do not bother me now.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I have a VM TB P-Bass, so I have nowhere to rest it. I pretty much just let it fly free.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Used to stick my thumbnail under the pick guard, you can see by the worn area, this was before I refitted the chromeware prior to selling it.

G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
^Beautiful

Low B, pickup, and floating.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Neck or bridge pickup, bottom string, and sometimes on the body of my p-bass, if I'm playing it.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
my pickup is to small so i use the e string
"Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams, telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems"
Floating thumb technique, however I often play with my thumb to get my upright tone, which I do on the fretboard, higher I go, lighter it sounds and more hollow.
DB Player
Page 1 of 2