Poll: What fret size is best?
Poll Options
View poll results: What fret size is best?
Small
1 2%
Medium
9 20%
Medium/jumbo
28 64%
bass
6 14%
Voters: 44.
I've never had this problem before but recently my fingers have been getting worn out (as in literally no strength left to play) because I've been learning songs that require a lot more hand strength and endurance. Does anyone have any exercises that can be used to build up finger strength and finger endurance apart from the usual "if you keep at it your hands will get better endurance and strength" because I am already showing signs of RSI and I don't want my hands stuffed around with. Thanks
Thanks, good suggestion but I'm not sure if I can get hold of one of those.
No local music store?
Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock Nj Series
Ibanez TBX150R 2x12 (Crap/Junk, don't buy one)
Original Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DD-3
Boss CS-2
Boss FV500H Volume Pedal

I Hate Everyone
Last edited by GraveMistake at Jan 9, 2009,
Try this out
E|-----------------------------1-------2-----3---4-|
B|---------------------1---------2-------3-----4---|
G|-------------1---------2---------3-------4-------|
D|-------1-------2---------3---------4-------------|
A|---1-----2-------3---------4---------------------|
E|-1---2-----3-------4-----------------------------|

And reverse, on all positions upto 16
jumbo frets are good when you are experienced (about a year or 2) because there is more stretching and finger stretch involved. To play the into of the pretender-foo fighters, my old strat i had to stretch a fair bit, i got used to it and got a BC Rich KKW with jumbo frets, I realised I had to stretch further, but I was used to it becuase i was doing it with my strat.
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
Quote by tomulator
I've never had this problem before but recently my fingers have been getting worn out (as in literally no strength left to play) because I've been learning songs that require a lot more hand strength and endurance. Does anyone have any exercises that can be used to build up finger strength and finger endurance apart from the usual "if you keep at it your hands will get better endurance and strength" because I am already showing signs of RSI and I don't want my hands stuffed around with. Thanks

If you're showing signs of RSI then your technique must be bad, try correcting your posture and seriously slowing down for a good while.

Watch this about posture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvGD9edWcg
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah get a grip master and just use that when your not actually playing should help alot
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Umm... Instead of a Gripmaster, I just bring a tennis ball around me where ever I go and squeeze that. Whether, I'm going to class, between classes, or just walking around town, I just squeeze it with each finger, thumb on the bottom, sometimes with several fingers when using my pinky. Not sure if I explained that properly :/
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
FUNDS: $600
^^ How to squeeze a tennis ball? I think we got it :P Good idea.

OP; Stretch. If you're sitting down to do exercises, make sure your hands dont get to stiff. So do some Marty friedman hand massages first or something.

There's different things you can do anyway...Like some people have good control for Chord stretch's - So id practice some chord changing songs, preferably with some wierd chords in.
The riff in Metallica's Orion i thought was a good one. Its kind of a backwards powerchord with a few note changes as the riff progresses, whilst keeping up a nice tempo.

Play some challenging song's...

It's not gonna come overnight, as you should be know, but working on some things will help advance more productivly.

A lot of the time when i noticed i was improving, id just been noodling. Song come's on the Playlist, and i'll just try to jam along to it.

Play more basically, and stretch aswell.
just do a bloody warm up song mate, a fairly easy song with a few chrods etc. For example, learn to fly-foo fighters, then move into something quicker, i.e, the bleeding-FFDP. well thats my warm up routine
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
What will really help your hand strength is playing a lot of barre chords. Try some Jack Johnson songs unplugged.

Or you can get an acoustic. The higher-tension strings will build up hand strength faster, more effectively, and beyond what an electric will.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Try some Jack Johnson songs unplugged.

Or you can get an acoustic.

well an acoustic sounds better than an unplugged electric
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've discovered some exercises similar to one the suggestions. They're called spider exercises and are supposed to improve dexterity, accuracy and finger strength.
Quote by tomulator
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've discovered some exercises similar to one the suggestions. They're called spider exercises and are supposed to improve dexterity, accuracy and finger strength.

gimme some of those haha
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society