I want to give my computer to a friend but i wanted to delete everything that's on it so i start it up and i can't remember my password lol. I'm the only account on the computer and i'm the administrator. I know other people have had this problem and i was wondering how other people have solved the problem. Oh and there 's no floppy disk drive.
starting the computer in safe mode will bypass asking for the password. atleast in XP not sure about vista. then go into the controlpanel and change or remove the password
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?
Quote by stevoreno
starting the computer in safe mode will bypass asking for the password. atleast in XP not sure about vista. then go into the controlpanel and change or remove the password

When I go into safe mode, I'm still asked for a password. I run XP.
Either boot into safe mode (continually press F8 while the computer is booting until you get to the menu)
or, a little more advanced option
Using a linux live CD (This doesn't work for all, but I know it work for Ubuntu)
and boot with that to gain access to the file system.

Quote by Kwonnie
When I go into safe mode, I'm still asked for a password. I run XP.

When you boot into safe mode there SHOULD be another account that doesn't have a password on it
Use a boot CD, or if you're deleting everything just download and burn a program onto a CD that will reformat your Hard drive.
Quote by SpelChek
Use a boot CD, or if you're deleting everything just download and burn a program onto a CD that will reformat your Hard drive.

Do you know of any programs like this cause that's what i wanted to do in the first place.
when you do the safe mode startup sign in under the administrator account, you shouldn't be asked for a password there or if you have a guest setting that shouldn't have a password either.
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?
Quote by identityxcrysis
When you boot into safe mode there SHOULD be another account that doesn't have a password on it

Ah, yeah, you're right. There is another account. I've never used it before.
Quote by =w=eeze
Get a mac.

Yeah, I'm an assh*le.

That doesn't help with memorizing passwords assh*le.
thanks everyone i just got in my old account. It was kind of scary easy though because it seemed like anyone could do it.
Quote by Captain Insano
Take out the the silver watch battery looking thing, and put it back in.

That's the bios battery. All that's going to do is reset his time and some other ****.
It's not going to reset a windows password.
Quote by christianboi
thanks everyone i just got in my old account. It was kind of scary easy though because it seemed like anyone could do it.

Yeaaaa, people seem to think that if they password their computer, they're secure. I know a dozen ways to get into computers, provided I have physical access.
Set a BIOS password though, it's a pretty decent method of protection.
Although if you forget that one, you're pretty much ****ed.
Quote by Captain Insano
Take out the the silver watch battery looking thing, and put it back in.

How the funk is that gonna help?

Quote by identityxcrysis
Yeaaaa, people seem to think that if they password their computer, they're secure. I know a dozen ways to get into computers, provided I have physical access.
Set a BIOS password though, it's a pretty decent method of protection.
Although if you forget that one, you're pretty much ****ed.

Not true, I know my computer atleast has a password reset jumper, and I'm pretty sure the battery thing will reset it aswel.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Jan 9, 2009,
Quote by Jesstaa

Not true, I know my computer atleast has a password reset jumper, and I'm pretty sure the battery thing will reset it aswel.

Password reset jumper? That kinda defeats the purpose of...everything.
I don't think taking the battery out resets it, that's a pretty easy way to get around.
I THINK you need to actually short out the bios to get rid of the password.
Or just...take out the harddrive or something.
Quote by stevoreno

If he were giving a computer that runs vista to a friend, it wouldn't be much of a gift, anyway.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Gunpowder
If he were giving a computer that runs vista to a friend, it wouldn't be much of a gift, anyway.

I don't see what everyone's problem is with Vista anymore.
I switched back to it after SP1 and I haven't had any problems.
I'm not saying it's perfect. But it's a great OS now.

Although I'm using the Win7 beta, and that kicks even more ass.
Quote by Gunpowder

Vista has it's problems, most of which have been fixed, but yeah his friend is better off waiting for Windows 7, which is basically a even more fixed version of Vista.
I LOVE YOU JESUS CHRIIIIST
JESUS CHRIST I LOVE YOU
YES I DOOOO
Quote by identityxcrysis
I don't see what everyone's problem is with Vista anymore.
I switched back to it after SP1 and I haven't had any problems.
I'm not saying it's perfect. But it's a great OS now.

Although I'm using the Win7 beta, and that kicks even more ass.

I don't actually have a problem with it, but I have a mac, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a jab at Windows
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Gunpowder
I don't actually have a problem with it, but I have a mac, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a jab at Windows

Figures.