I have $300 to spend on an amp and if it's worth it i could push $400-450 and i would like to know which amp would be the best for my money. I play Rock and am in a band so we gig in the summer, and i need an amp that is able to do so. Can someone help me with this?
Last edited by Pennderinn at Jan 9, 2009,
you find a gig worthy in that price range. save a bit more and you can get a nice budget tube amp for a good price.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Don't force yourself into a hasty decision with a budget like that, unless you are stuck spending around 450 max and theres no way around it. Save up for a bit and you can find yourself a nice new/used tube combo, Randall RG50-TC, Peavey 5150 or XXX combos, ect. ect. With around 600-800, you're options really open up and in the end this would be the better route to take in my opinion.
How good are the Spire III 75 (or 120) amps? I saw some good reviews on them and they are loud enough?
You mean the Spider III?

...please...stay away from them. Please.

(now my usual response)
Used peavey ultra
Used Laney AOR
Used Peavey Classic (i don't know what kind of 'rock' you play...)
or save up a little bit for a B-52
I'm not cool.
Quote by StrangeAngel
You mean the Spider III?

...please...stay away from them. Please.

(now my usual response)
Used peavey ultra
Used Laney AOR
Used Peavey Classic (i don't know what kind of 'rock' you play...)
or save up a little bit for a B-52

I play "Classic Rock" you know late 60's through 80's mainly, some modern... out of curiosity what's bad abuot the Spide III?
What kinda rock are you into?

Check out the epi valve jr and a good cab? Maybe some pedals or something.

EDIT: The Spider just doesn't sound very good. Some people are into the sound, but most people aren't. I don't think the distortion is that bad though.

But yeah, check out the valve jr.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Last edited by abcdboy at Jan 9, 2009,
Valve junior? He said he's gigging. I wouldn't want to gig with 5 watts, low gain and no tone control on the amp.

Spider III is 'ok' when you're just playing in your bedroom. It's a practice amp with rather crappy tone. Just sounds bad and isn't worth the money, that's all you have to know.

A Peavey Classic should be pretty much perfect.

EDIT: a USED peavey classic
I'm not cool.
I said a good cab. He can push it with a good pedal. Gain will come just from the amp being pushed.

It'd be easier to decide if you could tell us what bands you like.

Most gigs are PA'ed, too.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Last edited by abcdboy at Jan 9, 2009,
okay, so just to let you know, i have Behringer Multi-effects pedal (the V-ampire i think is the name) a Hothead Distortion and Cry Baby Wah, and i use a mixer for eq (since it's 10 band). And the to name a few bands that i play off the top of my head are, AC/DC, Van Halen (play them a lot), Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin, Steve Miller Band, Van Morrison, Bob Seger, Chuck Berry, Deep Purple, Foreigner, Free, etc.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Jan 9, 2009,
The Randall 120RH half stack. It will push you a little more on price but if you search a bit I'm sure you can find a deal for it. I've got a Randall (not this particular model) and I love it. I run pedals so I really have no use for the 2nd channel. Marshall costs way too much and Line 6 is garbage. Here's a link to the Randall:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120RH-and-RX412-Half-Stack?sku=481735
Quote by random_B-RAD

I checked that Windsor out. That thing is sweet! Perfect for me because I never play clean! lol