This has never happened to me before, so I figured I'd take it to the Pit to try and figure this out. (I know, stupid me).

I had a nightmare the other night for the first time in awhile. This might be long so I'll try to section it out so you can read some parts and still get it if you're too lazy (obviously having better things to do )

A Little Background:
Usually my dreams are pretty messed up and never make the slightest strand of sense, and I rarely have a straight forward dream where something comprehensible happens.

I struggle with sleep paralysis A LOT so i think this might have something to do with it, but although I was aware of my surroundings, and coming in and out of sleep, I wasn't having my usual symptoms (which is where my head feels like its shaking, I get an awful headache, and I try with every fiber of my being to wake up).

The Dream:
Anyways, in reality my mom is leaving to work.
I'm aware of this because I hear her in the kitchen and it wakes me up momentarily.
She leaves, and in my dream I can see a dead man in my kitchen and it's scaring the hell out of me. He's just lying on the floor. No clue who he is.
In my dream I call my sister in and tell her about this dream I had, explain the dead man, even though I'm still in the dream.
She says no it wasn't him, it was his son and brings me a baby shoe which is dirty and bloodstained.
At this point I "remember" a rumor that if you play a certain note with an amp on full blast, and put an object that was present at someone's death, you could recreate their last words, or cries.
So I try it and it's nothing but weird frequency.
After that my sister leaves for school but it's only 4AM and she doesn't leave usually till 6 or 7AM.
I get freaked out because the body is still out there so I figured that if I run outside up and down the hall (I live on the second floor of an apartment where you can always feel someone walking outside) I'd be aware that I'm making noises and I can try and calm down and know that there is a logical reason for any noises I might hear. (In reality the noises of people running down the halls freaks us out a lot).
So I do and I come around to my door again and my neighbor (some lady that doesn't exist in reality) is up glued to the news. Apparently something bad happened and it was on every channel, and I believe it was a terrorist because I remember her using the word "jihad" but pronouncing it backwards.
Then I woke up scared out of my mind and I got up to watch TV (around 6AM which is weird for me cause I usually don't get up till at least 12PM).

The Problem:
I wrote the dream down in a dream/song journal I keep, and I can't stand to look at that page. It's been a few days, and before I go to sleep, I start to feel scared again.
I've got a lava lamp that I now keep on all the time because the dark makes me uneasy.
I still think about it a lot and when I do, everything starts to freak me out and I become completely irrational. No dream has ever had this kind of effect on me, and I have this gut feeling that it means something. I'm always expecting something bad to happen. Something along the lines of a natural disaster.
I live in southern california and we get earthquakes pretty often. Last year there was a pretty big one that kind of freaked us all out and since then we've all kind of been waiting for the "big one" that's supposed to rip california apart. I'm always dreaming about it because my little sister (she's 12) is scared out of her mind because of it. It's all she talks about sometimes.
Today, like two days after this dream, there was a 5.0 earthquake, and I feel like I expected it.

My Question:
Is it common to have dreams that frighten you for days?
And have you ever had a prophetic dream?

I've had a few before actually and i always expect the worse when I have a bad dream. But no dream has ever really lingered as long as this one has.

tl;dr - Go chill out in the synonyms for fapping thread, this probably isn't for you.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Wow, deep stuff.

I can't really say I've had any prophetic dreams, since most of it I link to subconscious bull.

As far as nightmares go, the last one that I've had that really frightened me was when I was six. My mom was an alien. AN ALIEN!!
were you the same dude that said before that you were getting 12 hours of sleep and still feeling tired because of work etc.?

Maybe you need to just take a few days off or something and clear your head.
X
Quote by yup
were you the same dude that said before that you were getting 12 hours of sleep and still feeling tired because of work etc.?

Maybe you need to just take a few days off or something and clear your head.

Yeah actually.
I'm having more and more vivid dreams and they're starting to get pretty disturbing.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Do you use drugs, especially hallucinogens? Were you high when you went to sleep that night?
kill all humans
I had a nightmare that a girl i know was a robot, and i had to kill her, long story short at the end of my dream i heard them say i wont remember what happend. when i woke up it was so vivid i really thought she was a robot for a few days.

It is possable to tap into the subconsious mind, or so some people say. So some dreams my not be prophetic but they might show you stuff about you that you don't realize you are doing wrong.

I was at a friends house and we could not find the WD40, When i fell asleep there i woke up at 5 in the morning after having a dream about the WD40 in the cabnet in the garage.
I went into his garage and sure enough there it was.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Do you use drugs, especially hallucinogens? Were you high when you went to sleep that night?

I've taken mescaline a few times, but this was a few years ago.
Since then I've only smoked pot every so often for my back pain, and honestly my highs have been a lot stranger.

Last time I smoked was probably the night before the dream (i wasn't high before falling asleep the night of that dream), but again, it was just some pot, I wasn't really high off my rocker or anything. But I don't do it really all that often. Once or twice a month tops.
Could that be why?
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

-- Arthur Honegger

Quote by x_thurston_x
I've taken mescaline a few times, but this was a few years ago.
Since then I've only smoked pot every so often for my back pain, and honestly my highs have been a lot stranger.

Last time I smoked was probably the night before the dream (i wasn't high before falling asleep the night of that dream), but again, it was just some pot, I wasn't really high off my rocker or anything. But I don't do it really all that often. Once or twice a month tops.
Could that be why?

Well, pot is a mild hallucinogen, so it's possible. I'm not an expert on drugs by any means though.
kill all humans
you have teh aidz
[/trolling]

It could be the pot, it could also be a tumor, consider both options
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
I wouldn't know what its like to be afraid of a dream...But then again, I'm not really afraid of anything...I just kinda accept that what will be, will be.

But I have had some crazy dreams....
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Not to sound annoying or anything, but have you talked to a doctor/psychologist of some sort? They would probably be best for this kind of thing.
kill all humans
It's...odd, to say the least about your dream. I dunno about you guys, but my dreams mean something be them bad or not (well to me). I'll have a dream and I'll wake up, define it and see what it is. Recently it's been me hooking up with girls, not girls I really know but just girls.

Now oddly enough, the same day I have this dream, the girl I like tells me likes me. Get the connection? Our dreams are our unconscious mind that is allowed to roam free. Now you said your sister talks about that earthquake stuff right? Well with the way the world is, the literature you may have read or whatever, it could be that your psyche is so FOCUSED on this stuff, it got into your unconscious mind. Just like how somehow your amp got put into it, you must play guitar regularly, it's a regular thing, so your unconscious mind throws it in. You hear things about disaster, terrorism and that makes it's what into your unconscious state.

What we hear/see/feel in the real world tends to sink into our unconscious. If i were you, I'd take a load off, maybe get away for a while, relax. You're either very stressed and worried the world will end with all the propaganda or...well or it was nothing.

As for the dead person...Have you lost anyone close to you?Not like they die, but either they passed, or they got really sick, or you just weren't as close to someone anymore as you were before hand? That could be your mind feeling as if that connection has broken and that person has died.

Hope that at least semi-helped.
i have sleep paralysis a lot..i read its more common in african americans..i really hate it..but ive never had a dream that scared me for days..the only dreams i really remember are the sex dreams..those are the best.
*Looks at wall of text*

ummmm

*Runs away*
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
i get deja vu a lot and i realized the reason for it is that i have dreams and then days, weeks, or months after i have forgotten about them they happen for real. it freaks me out. recently i've been able to recall more of the dream after i first get the feeling of deja vu and i can figure out what's about to happen. also recently ive been having deja vu of having deja vu about a dream. like a dream within a dream kinda thing.

i think i might be schizo
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
I had a dream once that bothered me for days... I watched a few of my closest friends(who are all female) get kidnapped, raped, tortured and killed in front of me... The worst part of it was that I couldn't save them.

I didn't sleep for five days after it... I couldn't do anything. I finally got over it though.