My "setup" (if you can call it that) is pretty simple and probably unconventional.

I'm using a digital voice recorder intended for speeches, and then I just edit it all on Audacity.

I'll record one thing, play it on my computer while I play the next instrument, and record it both as one and keep the new recording but the problem is that the final product sounds badly out of tune.

I thought maybe it was a mistake, but I'm constantly retuning before every take and checking my work before moving on but I can't figure out the problem.

Is this a common problem? And is there anyway to remedy it without having to get any new equipment?

It's not that I don't want to, it's just that right now I have a lot of other financial obligations and I don't really want to make a half ass decision on some cheap recording equipment that will just let me down in the end, thus forcing me to spend more money.

I'm not using a mic either, could that be a contributing factor?
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Your recorder's recording setup doesn't probably have a pitch controller kind of system. For example cameras' setups can vary in color settings and this means that you get different hues and saturations when you take different shots, same with voice recorders, your pitch may shift. This may happen in various stages, in the recording one, when you transfer to computer, when you edit with Audacity. Check your settings and see if others have same problems and if they've been able to reduce the pitch shifts and similar things
hey thanks man.
do you by chance know how i should try tweaking it?
my recording vocab is practically non-existent and i wouldn't know where to begin.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .