Page 1 of 4
Glad to know that i'm not the only one who thinks manual transmissions kick auto's ass!!! DOWN WITH AUTO! UP WITH MANUAL!
*Raises Hand*

bitch to learn though
Quote by sneyob
Saw extended blue dick,
clicked X.

Sorry,
force of habit

Quote by Bmm386

There is only one solution. We need to bomb outer space. That should show those terrorist bastards who's who
I am in america and I do, I kind of dont give a **** either way, people who think 1 is better than the other are ****ing retarded, and are just trying to start **** over something as insignificant as your transmission...
Auto ftw... It makes things simpler. If you're just joy-riding around, standard can be fun. For most applications, though, I'll stick with auto. Besides, my car runs better as an automatic.
Last edited by blasphemy101 at Jan 9, 2009,
I do. I find autos a little weird
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
i do. *wink wink*

jk, but seriously, i do drive stick.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Quote by wamguy89
Manual Is The Only Way To Actually Drive!

Capitalizing Every First Letter, Of Every Word In Your Sentence Is The Only Way To Actually Type!

It isn't. Both ways have pros and cons. Auto is so much more simple. Manual has slightly better gas mileage, and don't say you can control your acceleration or some bulls*h*i*t since you arent in Nascar, so that **** doesn't matter.
manual is soooo much better to drive

automatic is boring!!!

manual ftw!
MD5K
IBANEZ
Automatic cars require larger engines for the same power output as a stick, so are less environmentally sound. Besides, I know that had I been driving stick, I wouldn't have gotten into my accident, cuz I wouldn't feel safe doing things at the same time.
Auto is for wimps and ot burns more fuel. Manual shift or CV is natural. (Except for column shift - I'm old!)
manuals for the win!

on a side note how long do you guys usually wait to shift from 1st to 2nd? From what my dad says and i've learned, 1st gear is only to get the car moving. I usually gas it until around 2k rpm or under and let it drop to 1.5k or .5k, i can't remember atm, so it shifts smoothly. I also find it shifts smoothly at 2.5k rpm, which is my cars sweet spot for shifting other gears, but i have to gas it while releasing the clutch which i imagine burns the clutch faster? THanks sorry for the long post. Its my first car. I just want it to last.
Quote by themadness 1234
I am in america and I do, I kind of dont give a **** either way, people who think 1 is better than the other are ****ing retarded, and are just trying to start **** over something as insignificant as your transmission...

Why limit yourself if your gonna learn to drive do it right in the first place..
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
I need to learn how to drive standard
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Quote by Prisoner5
Automatic cars require larger engines for the same power output as a stick, so are less environmentally sound. Besides, I know that had I been driving stick, I wouldn't have gotten into my accident, cuz I wouldn't feel safe doing things at the same time.

larger engines? you sir aren't allowed to post on any car related forums ever again. different transmissions? yes. larger engines? GTFO.
Quote by Nexium
Why limit yourself if your gonna learn to drive do it right in the first place..

I agree that everyone 'should' know how to drive both, since knowing how to work a clutch helps a ton when it comes to most machinery. It's just that, I don't see what the ****ing deal is with people going nuts for manual or automatic. It is such an insiginificant thing.
Does it count that i can drive a stick, and the truck im getting is a stick, but i dont have my license yet?
Child of the Fence and Guitar n00b.
Depends on what you're driving. There's a reason they invented auto.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Can't stand automatics, but cruise control ftw!

Not helped by the fact I rolled the one and only automatic I ever had
Quote by guiTardif123
manuals for the win!

on a side note how long do you guys usually wait to shift from 1st to 2nd? From what my dad says and i've learned, 1st gear is only to get the car moving. I usually gas it until around 2k rpm or under and let it drop to 1.5k or .5k, i can't remember atm, so it shifts smoothly. I also find it shifts smoothly at 2.5k rpm, which is my cars sweet spot for shifting other gears, but i have to gas it while releasing the clutch which i imagine burns the clutch faster? THanks sorry for the long post. Its my first car. I just want it to last.

it can depend on the car but i usually shift up anywhere between 2k and 6k. depends what kind of mood im in
woo i love standard

plus i'm less likely to have my car stolen
Save a drum, Bang a drummer!

Quote by Dragatear
You guys are REALLY strict. Worse than neopets.

Quote by Tyler Wright
cokesodanotdrug, your a bitch.
I'm not an American, so yes I drive "stick shift" or rather "manual".

And how is it a bitch to learn?

"Oh noes! Engine revs getting past a certain point, better change gear!"
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Mm I drive a manual and i cant see the problem at all
I drove an automatic once and just didnt feel as in control of the car as i did with a clutch.

And besides manuals are much more fun, you know, busy day on your way home getting it up to 7000rpm always puts a smile on my face
Quote by REMfan1
Mm I drive a manual and i cant see the problem at all
I drove an automatic once and just didnt feel as in control of the car as i did with a clutch.

+1
I do too.

I think it can be a bit tricky to learn, purely cos when you're trying hill starts and the like you don't have the experience of how many rev's to give, and constantly stall when you get to traffic lights / filters because you take your foot off the clutch too fast...
Say hi

Playing: Sleeping Dogs, FIFA 13, Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2
Reading: The Hobbit

Watching: How I met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, 24

Listening: Muse - The 2nd Law
Quote by guiTardif123
manuals for the win!

it depends what car you have.
normaly i change round 3 of 4 but in a mood ill red line it at 8.5
"Ladies and gents."

That concludes our tour of the toilets.
I can drive both a column shift, floor shift and auto's. Auto's are really only good for cruising cars, manual for everything else.
Quote by guiTardif123
manuals for the win!

You should be shifting at halfway to your engines redline for optimal performance and fuel economy.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Last edited by the_random_hero at Jan 9, 2009,
I learned manual, and had been driving for a year or two before I first tried automatic. I think on anything four cylinder, or anything where you need control over your RPM manual is definately the go. On my current car I do have an auto box, but it's a 3.8 litre 6 with a lot of grunt down low, so it honestly doesn't matter what damn gear it's in, there's plenty of torque to spare. Just chuck it in D and go. Big motor, rear drive, auto box and let's go. It suits the car. The 30% drivetrain loss in horsepower is no biggie, because I've got plenty more where that came from.

I considered getting a manual with the car I've currently got (Holden VT commodore) and it would have taken some tracking down, because they're a bit rare, and every reason I could think of why I wanted one was going to get me either arrested or killed, so I went with the auto. It still plenty fast enough off the lights, usually it's only the motorbikes and serious performance cars that move away quicker. I shift it down going down hill so I don't have to ride the brakes, I like to have the RPM to where it will just hold it's speed on the descent.

I do miss a proper transmission though, my old Volvo was 4 on the floor with direct drive in 4th, 3.91:1 diff ratio, no power steering and a really heavy clutch. You got intimately aquainted with the road and the engine.

And you all need to be able to drive manual, because trucks and vans nearly all use it, especially old ones. If you're planning to be in a band, you'll have to drive a rental truck at some point. Don't be stuck with a huge dillema about how to move the PA and backline because you never learned to drive properly. I know a jazz group who actually have this problem, they have access to a van none of them can drive.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Last edited by Cosimo_Zaretti at Jan 9, 2009,
I'm already a terrible driver with automatic, it'll take quite some time 'til I master manual transmission...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Pretty much everyone outside of America/Canada drives manual. I think it's cos we're more intelligent and can understand how it works unlike the silly yanks
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Page 1 of 4