Poll: Has Jacqui Smith taken things too far?
Poll Options
View poll results: Has Jacqui Smith taken things too far?
Yes, she's awful.
52 73%
No, she knows what she's doing.
2 3%
Some policies are OK.
7 10%
I'd need to find out more about her before deciding.
10 14%
Voters: 71.
Page 1 of 2
Not in the political thread because I wanted a poll.

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated by the UK's current home secretary, Jacqui Smith. Her current policies include:

Tracking everyone's calls, emails, texts and internet use (managed by private companies to reduce the cost).

A £5 billion scheme for ID cards containing personal information including finger prints and biometric data, all to be stored on a central database.

Detaining terror suspects for up to 42 days without charge (opposed even by the head of MI5).

Do people really think it's necessary or acceptable that the government spies on the entire population to keep us safe from a few fanatics? I'm fucking sick of my privacy being destroyed for "national security". The government really think they can keep data in those databases secure. You can guarantee they'll be targets of thousands of hackers, though the current government removes the need for hackers to break in by doing a fine job of simply losing personal data.

Here's part of a news article which made me laugh:

"The home secretary postponed the introduction of legislation to set up the superdatabase in October and instead said she would publish a consultation paper in the new year setting out the proposal and the safeguards needed to protect civil liberties."

She's got policies that'd make the Nazis jealous; protecting civil liberties my arse.
Last edited by Robbie n strat at Jan 9, 2009,
Phonecalls and texts were already tracked, there is a huuuuge warehouse somewhere in the south west containing databases for all the calls we make.

That being said, the day we have to carry biometric data on an ID card is the day I leave the country. She's an idiot. Not even americans who are crazy about terrorism threats have to put up with this much shit.
Because you know, the government has absolutely nothing to do all day, which is why they look through your emails when they're bored obviously.

Yes, I'm perfectly okay with this type of thing. Detaining terrorist suspects for 42 days before charges, I fail to see what's so bad about that. They do more than just flip a coin to decide who's a terrorist suspect, and 42 days is not all that long a time, just a safe place to detain them until they can get the charges brought together.

Basically, the government has better things to do than to spy on you during their coffee break, and this will affect you and me in absolutely no way whatsoever.
Quote by Kapps
Because you know, the government has absolutely nothing to do all day, which is why they look through your emails when they're bored obviously.

Yes, I'm perfectly okay with this type of thing. Detaining terrorist suspects for 42 days before charges, I fail to see what's so bad about that. They do more than just flip a coin to decide who's a terrorist suspect, and 42 days is not all that long a time, just a safe place to detain them until they can get the charges brought together.

Basically, the government has better things to do than to spy on you during their coffee break, and this will affect you and me in absolutely no way whatsoever.

Still, you have to admit it's kinda scary to know that the goverment literally knows everything you do.
I know biometric id is supposed to stop identity theft but if you get your identity stolen with all that information what the hell can you do it's not like you can get new finger prints. It would be smarter to put that money into the NHS or police, something thats actually useful.
Quote by Kapps

Taken from this page.

Faulk says he and others in his section of the NSA facility at Fort Gordon routinely shared salacious or tantalizing phone calls that had been intercepted, alerting office mates to certain time codes of "cuts" that were available on each operator's computer.

"Hey, check this out," Faulk says he would be told, "there's good phone sex or there's some pillow talk, pull up this call, it's really funny, go check it out. It would be some colonel making pillow talk and we would say, 'Wow, this was crazy'," Faulk told ABC News...

You're kidding yourself if you don't think people working for the government are going to abuse these things, or that people aren't going to manage to break into the databases and use the information to help them commit crimes.
Last edited by Robbie n strat at Jan 9, 2009,
Quote by Robbie n strat
Taken from this page.

Faulk says he and others in his section of the NSA facility at Fort Gordon routinely shared salacious or tantalizing phone calls that had been intercepted, alerting office mates to certain time codes of "cuts" that were available on each operator's computer.

"Hey, check this out," Faulk says he would be told, "there's good phone sex or there's some pillow talk, pull up this call, it's really funny, go check it out. It would be some colonel making pillow talk and we would say, 'Wow, this was crazy'," Faulk told ABC News...

You're kidding yourself if you don't think people working for the government are going to abuse these things, or that people aren't going to manage to break into the databases and use the information to help them commit crimes.

Or the government will leave the recording tapes on trains.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
With the current Government's data management i wouldn't trust this system.
Shes a ****ing moron of the highest order. Has no knowledge of anything.
As you mention, the main problem would probably be the hackers. I shudder at the thought of them obtaining the info the government would keep.

Internet use recorded and managed by private companies? I'd be afraid of ever doing online banking or shopping with that....

seeing as hackers often work for the IT industry, whats the chance a hacker works for such a firm...? Scary.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Last edited by Night_Lights at Jan 9, 2009,
Welcome to the New World Order. We got fun and games.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
Quote by Night_Lights
As you mention, the main problem would probably be the hackers. I shudder at the thought of them obtaining the info the government would keep.

Internet use recorded and managed by private companies? I'd be afraid of ever doing online banking or shopping with that....

seeing as hackers often work for the IT industry, whats the chance a hacker works for such a firm...? Scary.
When they say "private companies" they mean ISPs, so be afraid already, because they already have access to everything you do online.
Quote by david_safc
This is why you don't put women in charge of anything.

that was gold
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by Daneeka
Welcome to the New World Order. We got fun and games.

We know everything you've done, got a list with all your names.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by freedoms_stain
When they say "private companies" they mean ISPs, so be afraid already, because they already have access to everything you do online.

I just want to know how secure my banking information is.... I dont trust the whole 'secure connection' thing...

well, if anything, I'm glad I don't live in the UK. Yet.
Youtube covers

Quote by tommyt
We know everything you've done, got a list with all your names.

And now I'm going to stop this, before it gets too lame.

The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by titsmcgee852
And now I'm going to stop this, before it gets too lame.

My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Ya I dislike those policies very much.

Although I find the people getting all overwrought about monitoring E-mails funny because some company (Probably either Google, Microsoft or Yahoo) are monitoring all of your e-mails anyway, including monitoring the content.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
google keeps a record of your email, yes. and i think facebook keeps your info even after you delete your profile?

its really amazing the kind of info people put up for public display on social networks...
Youtube covers

Quote by sebbsmith
I have nothing to hide. Do you?

how about your bank account information?
Youtube covers

she is an idiot.
I mean the whole thing with id cards. we had them in england once before and people got fed up with them so they were scrapped, so why do it again.
Quote by Night_Lights
I just want to know how secure my banking information is.... I dont trust the whole 'secure connection' thing...

well, if anything, I'm glad I don't live in the UK. Yet.
These things are generally encrypted so even if you're being monitored the monitor would have to break the encryption in order to get your info.

And it's in the best interest of banks and businesses in general to make sure that encryption is tighter than a virgins arsehole because banks have to reimburse you for internet fraud from their own pockets and businesses rely on repeat customers and reputation to survive.
Quote by freedoms_stain
These things are generally encrypted so even if you're being monitored the monitor would have to break the encryption in order to get your info.

And it's in the best interest of banks and businesses in general to make sure that encryption is tighter than a virgins arsehole because banks have to reimburse you for internet fraud from their own pockets and businesses rely on repeat customers and reputation to survive.

ah yes, but can the banks beat the hackers? It always seems like the anti-hacker groups are always patching up the holes and following a step behind.

Eh, I'm paranoid.
Youtube covers

Quote by Night_Lights
ah yes, but can the banks beat the hackers? It always seems like the anti-hacker groups are always patching up the holes and following a step behind.

Eh, I'm paranoid.
No, they can't, I've had my account defrauded twice in the last 2 years, but I got the money back anyway.
Quote by Kapps

Wrong, wrong, wrong... You can be held for 42 days with out charge for being a "terror suspect". So for no lawful reason they could kick your door in, drag you away, hold you with no legal representation for 42 days. Your life outside would collapse (education / job out the window) as you have effectively disappeared off the face of the earth. After 42 days you could be released with no charge, no compensation, no apologies etc

This could happen for something as simple as innocently taking a photograph..
She's okay. Who cares about Habeas Corpus anyway?
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
Quote by sebbsmith
I have nothing to hide. Do you?

That is not the issue. If governments continue this invasive approach to monitoring their citizens eventually you will have something to hide.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Anything she thinks is automatically wrong. Everything she does must be undone. She's an evil hag and I hate her with a deep anger I can't explain in words.
Fuuuuuuuuck... 42 days for being a terror suspect? What defines terror suspect? What's stopping some dipsh!t customs officer from sticking all the Muslims in a jail for a few weeks?

"Oh hai, that building looks cool *innocently takes picture*"

"Your coming with me!"

"Oh noes!"
Last edited by Final !mpact at Jan 9, 2009,
Quote by JackalUK
Jackal58 for UK Prime Minister!

I don't think that would be wise. I'd get drunk and invade France.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Sounds perfectly fine to me, if that were the case I'd be buying the drinks.
it's Jaqui Smith's time of the month, or 42 day month.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
meh......i dont think this woman knows what she wants to be honest.
i recon she is trying to keep the people happy. By people i mean all the do gooders in the government.

Those ID cards sound dodgy with all that personal info on it......... like i have nothng against finger prints coz the police already kinda have them but to have biometric shiz on there is one step too far.

if these things happen im soooooo out of this country.
Guys we're forgetting this isn't East Germany or Stalinist Russia. The government don't arrest you for nothing, and those who are detained for 42 days must do something pretty damn bad to earn it.
I'm a South Asian male, and I personally am afraid of being victimised by the police, HOWEVER, lets remember there are people out there right now who want to blow up every man, woman and child they can, in the name of some false God.
Page 1 of 2