I like to play stuff all over the board, with the exception of metal.

Indie, Alternative, Grunge, Punk, Hard rock: Bloc Party, Coldplay, Angels & Airwaves, Nirvana, Rise Against, Lostprophets, Rage Against The Machine/Audioslave, those should mark my boundaries well...

Now, are there any guitars out there who can cover this area well? I wouldn't mind making maybe a pickup change here or there if it's the key to achieving my aim.
Budget? Amp? Gigging? Scale? Floyd?

There is a lot more info you need.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
just try out guitars with single coils and humbuckers and decide which one you like better, then you can ask again with that in mind. That's the main division without knowing your preference it's impossible to give good advice
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Budget is $550, won't mind buying used.

Amp is Peavey Classic 30.

Gigging and alone time.
a humbucker equipped guitar would be alright. your amp is okay i guess and use an od pedal to go for harder stuff. try out some guitars.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by Always-Ben
I like to play stuff all over the board, with the exception of metal.

Indie, Alternative, Grunge, Punk, Hard rock: Bloc Party, Coldplay, Angels & Airwaves, Nirvana, Rise Against, Lostprophets, Rage Against The Machine/Audioslave, those should mark my boundaries well...

Now, are there any guitars out there who can cover this area well? I wouldn't mind making maybe a pickup change here or there if it's the key to achieving my aim.

Sounds an awful lot like a Strat to me.
You're*
Hm...if a Fat Strat, then I'd probably wanna do a pickup change with an MIM Fender or a G&L Legacy.......which leads us to what pickups can cover this range. Perhaps this: a bridge pickup that can deal out a good amount of crunch (for the RATM-like stuff), a middle pickup that acts as a mediator, and a neck pickup that can dish out chimey, glassy tones (Coldplay-like stuff)?

Unless there are other guitar suggestions?
Last edited by Always-Ben at Jan 9, 2009,
you probably wouldn't need to swap out G&L pickups. IMO, G&L is a much better guitar than fender.

But for the majority of the bands, a strat does seem most suitable. However, a humbucker with coilsplit would give you a thicker tone for alternative rhythms. Seems like most alt bands have a thick rhythm tone. PRS and Les Pauls being very popular in that genre.

A PRS SE, Micheal Kelly Valor Vex or patriot in the deluxe or limited tends to be really solid guitars, a used Shecter C-1 Classic would do a great job as well...outside of the strat recommendations of course.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
maybe something with coil tap pickups
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
i like HSS strats, but just to toss this out there.

one of my most versatile guitars is my schecter pt fastback telecaster.

because it's got a full humbucker in the neck. which splits for an additional tone.

and the bridge has a mini humbucker. which when split sound pretty single coil-ish.

they are sd design stock pups and still sound pretty good thru my rig.

just adding a second type, in case you want to go tele instead of strat.

there's a pic of the schecter in my profile gear pics. it's at the bottom.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
HSS Strat for sure, get one before the end of the month, before they raise all of the Prices on Fenders.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Fender HSS MIM Strat or some kind of SG/Les Paul depending what kind of pups you prefer.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Quote by Friendly Stoat
Fender HSS MIM Strat or some kind of SG/Les Paul depending what kind of pups you prefer.

Like I said, be it an HSS or Les Paul or whatever, I want something that can do hard rock crunch and alternative bell/chime tones, perhaps with the bridge and neck pickup respectively.

And like I said, if I have to do a full pickup change to achieve this goal, I'll do so.

I did have someone, for example, suggest red-silver-blue Lace Sensors...
Quote by Pac_man0123
HSS strat/G&L sounds like a great fit. They make a MIM fat strat with a FR if you want it.

I hear lace sensors are a bit outdated, but i know someone that has them in his strat and he loves them.

Yeah, I'm looking over the idea cuz supposedly, that set can cover my bell-to-crunch range.

Hm...are there any other sets of pickups for a strat that can give me that range?