Page 1 of 2
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7819230.stm

so isps are going to have to store info on every email sent for a year. this doesnt include email content just who you are emailing.
so with the police hacking computers and this, do you think they are starting to go a bit far?
nah this is cool stuff
███████
███████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████

They can access phone records and have been able to for ages, it's just the same really.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
It sucks to think that there is no privacy anymore, I don't know what the legal stance is about MSN messenger and stuff????? so many people use things like facebook and myspace, so wether all that is being checked as well. So using facebook or myspace will save the privacy to a certain extent because the emails you recieve saying you have email is from facebook itself, and as only isp's and emaill adresses at this stage are being recorded means the "man" wont know who your messaging. The loss of privacy is something I can bare, but it does not make me accept it. The society is becoming one of a controlled state in this country, but the problem lies with mistakes the government has made elsewhere, if the government learnt from there mistakes there would have not been the need to resort to such drastic measures.
Quote by Bazilisck311
So if I buy a Les Paul standard and throw it 200 mph, its binding will generate downforce?
You don't seem to mind Google or Microsoft doing that, and keeping the content too.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
George Orwell was right, he just got the year wrong.
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
You guys are dipshits. All they record is who sent the e-mails, and who they sent it to. Exactly the same as they've been doing with phone calls for years.
The firms will have to store the information and make it available to any public body which makes a lawful request, which could include police, local councils and health authorities.

see.... not just adresses
I don't see why this is such a big deal. Will it really affect any of you? Email has never been secure, and the police aren't really the worst group of people in the world by any means.

If you want to talk to someone, and you don't want anyone to know about it, see them in person in a park or something.

And to the person who thought Myspace and Facebook were more secure than email; you're a huge moron.

Dragonforce? I don't even know what that is. Isn't it that Japanese card game "Dragon Force Z"?
Quote by Horlicks
You guys are dipshits. All they record is who sent the e-mails, and who they sent it to. Exactly the same as they've been doing with phone calls for years.

Yeah! And I think they should start doing the same thing with who you send postcards to too. And why not use everybodys cell-phones to locate where they are at the same time. So if a crime is committed they can see who was at the location. And we shall not mention that these criminals whom they think they can catch with this would just have to use simple procedures to avoid detection. So the law serves no purpose at all.
Quote by haz_uk

This, pretty much.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
The problem here is not the saving of e-mails, it's what comes after. The whole situation is based around on how far they can push invading on privacy and civil liberties for the sake of "security from terrorism" and "anti-crime".
Quote by darkrikku
my opinion is that if they have not caught .0010%(for all the emails, including spam) worth of criminals by this effectiveness..... then they should shut it down

whats that last zero for?
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by Horlicks

just because a law already exists doesnt make it right.
Quote by pbiggie
whats that last zero for?

To make it more precise? So nobody is confused and thinks 0.00149
Tbh, I think if there was a conspiracy going on to eradicate our privacy, do you think it'd on BBC?

And c'mon, the LAST media network to tell you, you're being fucked over in the UK WOULD BE THE BBC.
Quote by Kyle.E
Tbh, I think if there was a conspiracy going on to eradicate our privacy, do you think it'd on BBC?

And c'mon, the LAST media network to tell you, you're being fucked over in the UK WOULD BE THE BBC.

You should be happy that you've got the bbc instead of CNN and FOX.
Quote by kaihansen
You should be happy that you've got the bbc instead of CNN and FOX.

Fox I'd rather have Al Jazeera than Fox.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by ierostyle
It sucks to think that there is no privacy anymore, I don't know what the legal stance is about MSN messenger and stuff????? so many people use things like facebook and myspace, so wether all that is being checked as well. So using facebook or myspace will save the privacy to a certain extent because the emails you recieve saying you have email is from facebook itself, and as only isp's and emaill adresses at this stage are being recorded means the "man" wont know who your messaging. The loss of privacy is something I can bare, but it does not make me accept it. The society is becoming one of a controlled state in this country, but the problem lies with mistakes the government has made elsewhere, if the government learnt from there mistakes there would have not been the need to resort to such drastic measures.

Agree
Quote by mcfreaki
George Orwell was right, he just got the year wrong.

this.
i think ill put that in my quotes thing..
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by freedoms_stain
It doesn't really concern me.

They're not saving the content, so who cares?

It kind of concerns me more than they aren't saving the content. It's not that I want them to do that, but without the content what possible use could there be in the data? They'll just know who has been emailing who, but they won't have a clue what about. Without context there is surely no grounds for a warrant to search a person's computer if they are simply connected with a criminal by email - the only way this information could possibly be useful is if the police were able to legally access computers remotely without a warrant. Ah...I see what they did there
Quote by MrP
It kind of concerns me more than they aren't saving the content. It's not that I want them to do that, but without the content what possible use could there be in the data? They'll just know who has been emailing who, but they won't have a clue what about. Without context there is surely no grounds for a warrant to search a person's computer if they are simply connected with a criminal by email - the only way this information could possibly be useful is if the police were able to legally access computers remotely without a warrant. Ah...I see what they did there
But if they know who has been contacting a known criminal they can set up further surveilance on those people and figure out what's going on.
The Home Office insists the data, which does not include e-mails' content, is vital for crime and terror inquiries.
- Internet Service Providers will have to record who sent the email, to whom and when
- The e-mail's content will not be stored

So what's the problem?
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by freedoms_stain
But if they know who has been contacting a known criminal they can set up further surveilance on those people and figure out what's going on.
My issue is that if it proves to be more cost-effective the police may use their new powers to perform electronic surveilance on everyone associated with a criminal via email. If they didn't have the power to do this without a warrant I wouldn't be worried, but the two legislations together are taking things too far.
Quote by MrP
My issue is that if it proves to be more cost-effective the police may use their new powers to perform electronic surveilance on everyone associated with a criminal via email. If they didn't have the power to do this without a warrant I wouldn't be worried, but the two legislations together are taking things too far.
Yeah, the new police hacking law is a pile of shit.
Quote by Liam.
So what's the problem?

There's no legislation backing it. This'd be tough call in the commons (all of the tories would appose it and a lot of labour MPs, and of course Lib Dems) and it'd be utterly destroyed in the lords.

Anyway, the government has no business monitoring my communications. I'm a private citizen, I have a right to a private life without someone watching me. Would you want a camera in your living room? Even if all you did is watch TV and eat crisps, it's still invading your privacy.

And that WILL happen if we continue down this route. It's a slippery slope, and the UK is sliding faster than any country on earth.
If I wanted every aspect of my life monitored and controlled I'd move to China, as it happens I don't
Quote by JackalUK
If I wanted every aspect of my life monitored and controlled I'd move to China, as it happens I don't

Pfft, autonomy is overrated.

You never hear anyone from China complain do you?
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by JackalUK
I never hear from anyone in China...

Isn't harmonius in like Hong Kong.
Or is it Tokyo?
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
It's altogether possible that they've been doing this all along, but now there's a law about it.

To be fair, the Internet is not public domain, nationalised or a free-for-all. It's still set up and maintained by companies, all of which have possession over what they build. ISPs have every right to log their customers' actions, and the police have always been able to demand records from any company. This law just kind of cements that in the case of ISPs.
While I don't agree with this law it is no where near as intrusive as previous ones passed by the government such as the hacking law, the ID card scheme and others such as the extensive questionnaire to be brought in for all those leaving the UK. It will certainly be interesting to see how this affects opinions of labour, and should the conservatives win the next election it will be interesting to see if they scrap this as they have announced they would scrap other costly schemes such as the ID one.
Quote by elliott FTW
this.
i think ill put that in my quotes thing..

Completely unrelated but I noticed you claim to be UG's 'motorcycle expert'. Quick question: I'm on my 25kW probation period on my license. If I were to restrict a CBR600RR to that would it still run decently? And what would the insurance on it be like?
Quote by strawberryJAMZ
this only further proves that the united states is the superior country.

No, GTFO, laws passed in the US regarding the internet are very similar to those passed in the UK.
Last edited by blynd_snyper at Jan 9, 2009,
Quote by strawberryJAMZ
this only further proves that the united states is the superior country.

Page 1 of 2