Hey, ive been playing guitar for approximately 2 years now, and have done millions of cover going from guns n roses and acdc to rolling stones and santana.

Basically now i really wanna start writing my own stuff. I know the pentatonic scale, and mess around with i but really can find any riffs.

Should i like think of somehing in my head and then play it or something?

Should i base it off another solo and then improvise it?

How should i go about writing a solo? Thanks
i really like jamming with friends.. have somebody play a random rythm (doesnt matter if powerchords or major/minor stuff, just a rythm) and the other one tries to come up with a cool impro. if u liked what u just came up with, memorize it and play it again! u could also record while playing, helps keeping the stuff in mind!

EDIT: and of course u could take another solo as a starting point, always great to start!
Last edited by mmkat at Jan 9, 2009,
You may want to extend your horizon to other scales or modes. The Minor Pentatonic is very restrictive... Look at Zakk Wylde: no matter how cool his riffs are, his soloing abilities are limited (almost exclusively pentatonic). And playing licks fast doesn't necessarily make you a good soloist.

Edit: I'm not dissing Zakk, I like his music a lot.
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
Last edited by tickler444 at Jan 9, 2009,
just play through whatever your making a solo over, just listen very intensly and you will hear empty rooms.. This is were you'll play... Sing a melody that fits or just think it... it will come to you eventualy..
Assuming you can shift across your neck with said pentatonic scale, the art of writing your solo is a relatively easy one. The trick is making it brilliant, but, that would be your own doing and no one can help you with that (and i myself am very far away from writing something brilliant). Regardless, there are a few things I've learned along the way that could help you in the right direction.

First up would be something from Troy Stetina's "mechanics of lead guitar" or something to that effect. Your solo must tell a story. It must compliment the song and it should lift the piece into its final chorus, regardless of style. A good example of listening would be Europe. Classic writing from Kee Marcello. If Europe is too tame for you, then listen to In flames' "Coerced Existence", which is track 5 on "Colony" at about 2min50s. Kee Marcello guests on that song, the second solo is his. Pure brilliance. Tells a story very close to the meaning of the song.

With only a pentatonic scale you can tell so much in a song. the beauty of it is that if you take your shape and move up a semitone/tone or down a semitone/tone you focus on the keys other notes that flavour nicely.

Think of what you would like to say in your song, and then relate that to certain notes in your solo and tell the story. Use techniques to convey certain emotions and use them at the right moments. When is it right? Thats your call.

Hope this helps
To start out, target strong chord tones. Look at the chord sequence behind your solo and establish the notes that will sound strongest over each chord (this can be as simple as the root note, but don't stick to this exclusively or it'll sound bland)
Fast solos are devised by simply flitting about scales and arpeggios between all of this. Again, look at the underlying chord sequence to work out what scales to use.

If your lickbag is a problem, you need to learn more songs by other artists. It comes naturally to some, others not so much, but it's simply a matter of pulling all your favourite licks from a solo and moving them around. Take those licks and mess with them a little to stop your solos from sounding formulaic or cliche. Crossroads, as performed by Cream, is great for this, but almost any song with a guitar solo will work.
angus young and slash solo's are great places to start. learn there solo's and licks, and then create your own. for non-pentatonics, i would recomend randy rhoads