Hey, just a random question I was thinking.
-If my amp were to be covered (that's dumb **** to put in the rain), but if I was playing in the rain would it damage my pickups (EMG's 81 & 85).
--I sometimes see major label bands playing in rain/whatever that prop is (Slayers rein in blood)

Thanks,
kevin
I too have wondered this actually. I think it would feel really awesome to play a show in a total downpoor. Would there be a way to achieve this???
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
Quote by Horlicks
Easy solution: Don't.

well no **** haha. We arent looking for an easy solution
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
Major label bands do it because they can afford an entire set of gear just for the video shoot which doesn't matter if it gets wrecked (which it most likely will)
ohai little sig.
You could out the protective film they come in back on but I don't know what that would do to your sound.
it isn't the pickups that you should worry about aslong as the wires are covered and the electronics are water tight thn you could play under a waterfall and nothing would happen... its the fact that the water will create a short circuit which will damage the electronics..also aslong as the pickups are rust proof(im not sure if thy are) cos otherwise your pickups will jst rust...also the output jack cable connection to the guitar must be water tight as well so there isn't any short circuiting.

hopefully this is right...hope you don't get electrocuted lol =P
Sounds like a dumb idea, and bands doing video shoots usually arent playing so they arent plugged in. You'll either knacker ur gear or get zapped matey.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Yeah, probably the stupidest thing I've heard all day.

You can't play in the rain. Not only would it seriously screw with your electronics, but it will get in ever crease and crevice and damage any wood/metal parts you can imagine. On top of all that, I can imagine your tone would be ruined because the water on your strings would dampen the vibrations. If you really want to play in the rain, you can give me your guitar, whatever it may be - and I'll give you an ESP MH-100 to destroy.
Quote by PendulousThread
Sounds like a dumb idea, and bands doing video shoots usually arent playing so they arent plugged in. You'll either knacker ur gear or get zapped matey.

Slayer rain goat blood on the stage when they perform Raining Blood very frequently, dude. Though it's usually as a finale.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by syntheticocean
still sounds like a dumb idea, and after that comment, not too sanitary either.

You obviously aren't very familiar with Slayer, then

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Slayer rain goat blood on the stage when they perform Raining Blood very frequently, dude. Though it's usually as a finale.

If it wasn't for Slayer, I think we'd have AIDS beat by now.
Quote by Shinozoku

I'm sorry but that's not 'metal', that's just plain ****ing disgusting imo
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
What, does singing "Moderfukin death, Sat@n is t3h 1337!!" make you feel tough?

Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
Quote by Matt_Synyster
I'm sorry but that's not 'metal', that's just plain ****ing disgusting imo

Metal is disgusting from time to time

They get it from a farm in Texas (I think it's there) that slaughters the goats for the meat (might be sheep/lamb/whatever), so I wonder if they do anything to the blood to cleanse it?

Stupid name.

Exactly. Nowhere in Metal does it state that you have to be showered with the innards of another creature.

i'm very familiar with slayer. That doesn't mean I have to agree with garbage like that. Same goes with Gwar, they do some sick **** too, but they really wouldn't have a fanbase if they were normal. Imagine Gwar on stage with jeans and t-shirts, hardly any stage presence. They wouldn't exist today.
Get some goat blood and we'll talk
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Not only video shoots are in the rain. Also regular live shows. I've seen Bon Jovi play in rain several times outdoors.
Yeah, well I mean I understand it's dumb as hell. But I was just wondering how Slayer achieved to do that, and not mess up their gear at all.
-Yeah, I don't need to be told it's dumb as hell.
In As I Lay Dying's Confined video they play in the rain, LOTS OF RAIN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzeB7xeN48&feature=related

I believe nick still used his Black LP after the shoot not sure though. If it damages your gear is one question but actually playing well in the rain and sounding good is a whole nother story.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
maybe they have special made SUPER WATER TIGHT guitars. Otherwise yes it will literally rust your hardware and if your pickups arent good then it can short it. I dno how the state of the wood would be like afterwards though. Good advice - dont do it
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
Quote by al112987
I'd be more concerned with damaging the guitar than the pickups.

Same.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Wouldn't that make the strings vibrate?
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
Quote by Shinozoku

I have there Reign in Blood Dvd where they do that. It's simply amazing that anything could survive that. Everything is drenched to the core.

And whats impressive is even covered in blood the dont miss a note or skip a beat .

That said I wouldnt do it.. But if your guitar does happen to get drenched I would disassemble it and let it dry before you played it again.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jan 9, 2009,
is it blood or is just some watered down stuff dyed red?

I would think real blood would be worse on equipment then water. At least water evaporates. I think blood has acid and other corrosives in it. Never was good at Biology so maybe someone else knows more.

Either way, it doesn't sound like a good idea unless you are filthy rich, like Slayer I suppose, and you can get new gear when your old gear gets trashed.

I've seen bands play in the rain before too. It's there call but there is a danger obviously. If an amp or guitar is not grounded properly or you get an arc somewhere in the system the shock thru the strings would be pretty nasty. May not kill you but I don't think it would feel good. i'm not an EE.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 9, 2009,