i`ve been comparing this two guitars.. i play more of metal.. im using a cheap epiphone replica so i wanted a good guitar that i can play for quite sometime.. i`ve been playing for 4 months plus
i cant make up my mind which one .. although the LTD is slightly more expensive but oh well.. any suggestion ??
Last edited by zeon at Jan 9, 2009,
try them out, but most people say to stay away from low end ltd's, but i havent tried any
The LTD is fantastic for its money, I own one. Can't tell you anything about the Ibanez, sorry
I have the GRG and love it, great value. No idea about the LTD though. Try them out.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
oh crap i got one with ibanez and one with ltd lol
i really have no idea which one to go for lol
wad do u guys play more ? metal ? blues ?
ibanez grgs are ideal in this case. The esp would go out of tune so fast you dont know what just hit you
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
wad do u mean out of tune so fast ? O_o
damn its so hard to make a decision xD
the esp doesnt have double locking. So it would go out of tune very very fast. If i were you i would get a fixed bridge just to keep it simple because i assume you are at the beginning stages>
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
okay i know what u mean .. but anything to compare besides the double locking ?
i still cant make up my mind though
I play mainly metal but the Ibanez works decently for any style IMO. The best advice is to just try them out if you can.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
I have a GRG 170DX and I love it. The pickups are pretty nice, better than stock BC RIch or Jackson IMO. The tuning pegs aren't bad. The tremolo system isn't too bad. The only beef I have is that the tremolo arm cannot be tightened to stay stationary, it dangles. But for the price it's an excellent piece. Just change the strings to a heavier gauge and metal will be no problem
Quote by argentotenebre
I have a GRG 170DX and I love it. The pickups are pretty nice, better than stock BC RIch or Jackson IMO. The tuning pegs aren't bad. The tremolo system isn't too bad. The only beef I have is that the tremolo arm cannot be tightened to stay stationary, it dangles. But for the price it's an excellent piece. Just change the strings to a heavier gauge and metal will be no problem

I thought this for ages, but push down the trem arm and you will see that you can tighten it with an allen key
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
I just recently got the Ibanez for Xmas...and it is amazing!
I sugges that
Hai To You All

Metallica Ftw?
awright.. so that guitar is suggested for a starter liek me ? although i`ve got a lil bit experience in guitar already any guitar u guys can suggest besides this two ?
i might just have to try both of this out before buying
Check out the Ibanez RG321MH.

Stay away from guitars with double locking tremelo systems at beginner prices since the trem is most likely made with soft steel alloys which eventually wear away.
is the price for that guitar similiar to the grg170dx ?
okay now i need to compare these two ibanez instead @@
get an rg321mh instead of the GRG
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
yeah but my budget is like around that ibanez grg ..
and that rg321mh dont have tremelo am i correct ?
is that thing important ? i do want one though
i need more suggestions here hehehe
any other guitars around the price if grg ?
If it's your first guitar, don't bother with a tremolo, you can always get that on your next guitar. A hardtail is simpler and alot harder to make a 'bad' one, cheap trems are known for wearing out quickly and having tuning issues.

If it were my money, I'd get the RG321MH. My little brother has one and I find myself stealing it regularly.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i see.. damn im living in malaysia ..and it cost me around rm1k for the rg321mh ..
as for the grg its only rm730 lol ... yeahh this country is expensive T_T
Are you talking about the Viper 50? That is not a bad guitar,just bought 1 for my son and I actually really like it. Pups are not bad but with new pups that guitar will sing!
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Quote by Friendly Stoat
I thought this for ages, but push down the trem arm and you will see that you can tighten it with an allen key

Could you be a little more specific on how to do this?
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by twisty571
Are you talking about the Viper 50? That is not a bad guitar,just bought 1 for my son and I actually really like it. Pups are not bad but with new pups that guitar will sing!

wad do u mean the viper 50 ? O_o
Those two guitars are both quite poor in my opinion, especially the esp. The 170 is the ibanez with the edge 3 yeah? You will definately be best off with an ibanes RG321 i think it is. Its basically the cheapest fixed bridge ibanez u can get. They are a great guitar if you like the ibanez shape. I'd stay away from low end LTD's, and low end ibanez's with double locker's.
RG's & Mesa's
Don't buy a beginner guitar with thoughts on the tremolo; you don't use the tremolo usefully until later in your playing career. Guitars under $400-$500 NORMALLY have sucky tremolo systems, thus keeping them affordable. I played on an ESP LTD Viper in a shop once and the action was just terrible, felt as if I was playing on an acoustic. That put me off a bit and my opinion on LTD changed.

Try them both and see what plays best, I would imagine their electronics being a lot similar, which you can change later when you feel you might need to. I owned a GRG150 before I upgraded recently and it played unbelievably well for its price. Never thought about trying a Jackson?
wantzchas : i did thought of trying a jackson but my budget is under rm1k .. meaning its around US$300+ .. i cant really afford those expensives ones ...
thank god didnt purchase yet .. so stay away from low ends LTDs eh ?
that RG321mh is quite expensive here ..
so as for jackson, what do u guys suggest ? not that expensive yeah