theory isnt instant, neither is technique. it takes time, then once you have it, it takes some more time to grow
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Theory won't help your technique at all and really, if all you want to do is play other peoples music, I don't think it'll help you hugely there. It'll help you to understand what it is that you're playing, which might make learning new songs easier (you recognise patterns, shapes etc that you already know, and it helps), but it won't make you play it more cleanly, or faster, or anything like that.

If you want to be able to improvise and sound good, knowing some theory is pretty much a must.

If you want to write your own music, knowing theory will definately help you.

My 2c.
Last edited by troubletcat at Jan 9, 2009,
theory only helps just that...theory.It wont help your musicality, technique, phrasing, timing etc etc so on and so forth. All these things need to be worked on seperately.
Andy
If you know theory, and still suck, then you don't know theory. There is a difference between knowing the notes of a scale and being able to use it. You can memorize all the scales in the world and still not be able to use them. What is much more important is understanding each notes place inside the scale, understanding which notes sounnd like what and finding how the work and where they fit.

I would suggest focusing on the major scale, learn how to work with each note, how to construct chords from them and which chords share notes.

Then write a chord progression in the scale and solo over it VERY VERY SLOWLY. Figure out how each note functions over each chord, then work on tones outside of the chord.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by darkrikku
jw, dont think this has been asked, i know some basic theory, and some minor(small, not actually minor) scales....
and i still suck

I've met plenty of them.

Theory alone doesn't make you better, it just increases your knowledge, which can contribute to your improvement. Maybe you're doing something else wrong, like not having a balance in your practice routine.

make sure to have a healthy dose of playing music (like playing songs/riffs/solos.....ect) along with your studying and practicing.

Time is a factor as well.... be patient.

Quote by The_Sophist
If you know theory, and still suck, then you don't know theory. .

Not necesarrily true, though it may be in this particular case. I know plenty of people that are knowledgeable theory wise, yet are not very good musicians.

Knowing theory will not guarantee that you will be good. It should, and in most cases does, help though.

TS:
Don't buy the misconception that theory alone makes one a great musician. Keep studying it if you're into it, but take a look at the other things you're doing as well. It sounds to me like you jumped into theory thinking it would "make you good" all of the sudden. It doesnt work like that.

Keep listening, keep learning, keep playing, keep practicing.

be patient. If you love playing, it will likely all come together in time if you keep working at it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 9, 2009,
Learn a bunch of licks.. and realize why that lick was used.. then apply it to your own stuff.. not exactly, but the idea of it.. Its how i get by..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
You still suck because your being negative.

Theory helps, but doesn't do everything. It will help you make more sense of your playing, but its up to you and the guitar alone to play better. Learn some easy riffs and such, and begin working off them using improv. Then, build your own riffs. The first thing I learned (2 years ago) was Coheed and Cambria's "Welcome Home" The intro riff (hell, the whole song) is pretty easy to learn. Not to mention it sounds great. Try that one out.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.