I hope you are really paying attention to this as you listen or you might miss the whole point of this.

http://8tracks.com/Kepulix/kepulixs-lair-of-doom

Schedule:
JAN 16 webbtje
JAN 23 King ofKumbucha
JAN 30 tigerking615
FEB 06 Mudvayne_4_Life
FEB 13 Psychopathology

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ladies & gentlemen, turn up the volume and fasten your seatbelts, as the ride of doom is about to begin... first I made a list consisting of a bunch of old school metal songs, but then I thought that maybe informing you about the world of doom metal would be a better choice. Enjoy.

1. The Gates Of Slumber - Children Of Satan
When I started making this list, I knew this song had to be on it. "What the hell is this intro?", you may ask, but wait! It seems to go on and on... you must wait for it... wait for it... just a second....... HERE IT COMES!! *FURIOUS HEADBANGING* Holy. Shit. That was my reaction to the riff when I gave Conqueror the first spin. The song itself, might not be the best on the album, but it sure as hell is awesome. Fortunately, the song's awesomeness doesn't end there, the whole song is full of awesome riffs of doom. RIDE AND KILL!! GUNS AND STEEL!!!

2. Serpentcult - The Harvest
Moving on, the next one up is from a band that rose from the ashes of Thee Plague Of Gentlemen after the unfortunate case with TPOG's vocalist. This song is the only one on the list that I wouldn't call "true" doom metal, but it's really groovy and heavy, nonetheless. I, for one, am not a fan of female vocalists, but in this band's case, they add a really nice touch. Another headbanger's song right here.

3. Grand Magus - Like The Oar Strikes The Water
Once again, this song is perfect for fist pumping, singing along and headbanging.
Grand Magus' Iron Will was one of the finest albums of 2008 and this track is one of the album's highlights. JB's powerful vocals, driving riffs and drums very much in the Grand Magus style, what more can you ask from a good heavy metal song? Nothing, that's what. JUST LIKE THE OAR STRIKES THE WATEEEEEEEEEEER!!!

4. The Lamp Of Thoth - Blood On Satan's Claw
HEY! YOU! YOU MOTHERFUCKING WHORE! YOU'RE GONNA BURN, THERE'S BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW! A song that is bound to stay in your head for weeks. If the catchy chorus isn't enough, the song is filled with doom riffs in the very classic style and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. This is a band that will definitely leave their mark in the doom metal scene, after all they want to doom the doomiest doom that doom can doom!

5. Pentagram - Evil Seed
Next pitstop, be sure to check up the volume levels and make sure they're high enough. 'Cause it's fime for the one and only, the almighty Pentagram! I know you people like headbanging, but this is still doom metal list and you can't forget the classic side of it either. Less speed, more DOOM! A song that every doom metal fan certainly knows. Turn out the lights and let the haunting vocals of Bobby Liebling and classic guitar lines of Victor Griffin drill into your brain and see the world from a completely different point of view. Here's the definition of doom for you.

6. Candlemass - Solitude
Going even slower and deeper into the abyss. Alright, this is probably the cliche choice #1 to pick here, but... just couldn't leave this song out. This has been covered by numerous bands, but this version is out of this world, untouchable. From the first notes of the acoustic guitar to Johan Langquist singing softly the last lines in despair, this song is nothing but pure, goddamn, true, doom metal. The excitement and feelings of the first few tracks should've changed to questioning and wondering of your importancy and meaning of your life in this grey world... I could write all of the lyrics here, for every single line of this song is a classic one.

7. Warning - Footprints
Almost there, only two songs to go... this is it, we are really deep inside the core of doom here, as I am not feeling the green burning flame. I could've picked any Warning song at random and it would've been perfect for this spot (and that's actually pretty much what I did). Every note, every vocal line, every drum beat, digs your grave deeper and makes death seem more and more like a friendly word. Especially Patrick Walker's vocals are worth paying attention to. The "fun" side of songs like Children Of Satan is gone, there's no turning back now.

8. The Puritan - Those Who Sow In Tears Shall Reap In Joy
This is the end, my friend. Aside from the sample, this track is completely instrumental and essentially is built all around one musical theme. Now depending on how much you payed attention before and how much you connected with and FELT the music before, this track might get pretty boring or it might be one of the most beautiful things you've ever heard. Just close your eyes and let the music take you to the very depths of your mind.

Now if you thought this was really meh or just boring, your volume level must've been below 11 or "you're doing it wrong"... Have a nice day, may it be filled with misery and solitude.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Last edited by Kepulix at Jan 14, 2009,
Hell yeah, my favourite Thoth song!!

Never heard Serpentcult or Puritan, gotta check them out......poser-crushing list.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Serpentcult and The Puritan are the oddballs of this list hahha

As Albert of Rev Biz himself calls it, The Puritan are really slowed down hardcore punk rather than doom metal and that track doesn't really represent their style very well... but I picked that song 'cause I thought it fits the mood

Just finished listening. Until now I'd only heard Funeral Doom and I had no idea that Funeral Doom was so different from regular Doom. I'd have never even guessed they were grouped in the same subgenre of metal if I didn't already know it. Anyways, that was some pretty good music. Especially Candlemass and The Puritan. Those were my two favorites.
Dude, no Sahg? Chuh, denied...

You will have the honor of being one of 2 radio editions that I clicked on to see what the playlist is, and the first that I will actually listen to, on account of Children Of Satan probably being the best song of 2008.

Tomorrow.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
First thing in the morning I listened to this playlist.

Today is a DOOMED day.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by madbasslover
Until now I'd only heard Funeral Doom and I had no idea that Funeral Doom was so different from regular Doom. I'd have never even guessed they were grouped in the same subgenre of metal if I didn't already know it.

Funeral doom owes much more to death/doom rather than the old school doom sound... I like only some funeral doom and even less of that annoying gothic death/doom metal
Quote by dead-fish
Dude, no Sahg? Chuh, denied...

You will have the honor of being one of 2 radio editions that I clicked on to see what the playlist is, and the first that I will actually listen to, on account of Children Of Satan probably being the best song of 2008.

Tomorrow.

Plenty of other bands missing there too that I wanted to include

You should enjoy at least the first four tracks, but have patience to listen to the rest too
There's no Reverend Bizarre - Slave Of Satan style doom there hahha
Quote by VampireGoldfish
First thing in the morning I listened to this playlist.

Today is a DOOMED day.

I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory

Last edited by Kepulix at Jan 9, 2009,
Quote by Kepulix
Funeral doom owes much more to death/doom rather than the old school doom sound... I like only some funeral doom and even less of that annoying gothic death/doom metal

Well, I haven't heard much Funeral Doom. I've only heard Ahab and Esoteric. I like what I've heard quite a bit, actually. I want to get Ahab's Call of the Wretched Sea.
I remember when I first mentioned The Lamp of Thoth round these parts I promptly got two pages of people telling me they were shit.
Huh.
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
Quote by chylde_of_fire
I remember when I first mentioned The Lamp of Thoth round these parts I promptly got two pages of people telling me they were shit.
Huh.

Hahha I remember that too and I remember being one of the only who liked it

Quote by Kepulix
I remember being one of the only who liked it

Thanks babe.
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
Couldn't find the thread, but:
Quote by Instrumetal
Careful.

You were the one who brought us "The Lamp of Thoth" as the "best new band".

I didn't post in the Thoth thread, but I remember it.

Shame really, how a lot of the posters on this forum have no developed or personal taste, rather they create one based on whats "in" for metal forums at the time.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
I didn't post in the Thoth thread, but I remember it.

Shame really, how a lot of the posters on this forum have no developed or personal taste, rather they create one based on whats "in" for metal forums at the time.

I discover a lot of bands based on what's "in" because those are the ones that are discussed the most, personally. I'm actually pickier about metal than any other genre. I find a lot of the big bands in metal uninteresting and I even strongly dislike some of them (I'm looking at you, Slayer).
I don't mean taste by what people listen too or what is rec'd around here. The problem I was referring to is how a lot of the peoples here base musical taste is somewhat molded by whats "in" at the time, not what they listen too.

Anyways your play list reminded me to touch up on my Doom listening Kep. I got my metal apprentice into Candlemass a week or two ago and we've been listening to Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and Candlemass albums in the car a lot. I think its about time to get into deeper into the Doom abyss, see how he handles it.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Jan 9, 2009,
I dont remember that Thoth thread.....

Anyway I found Serpentcult to be quite meh, not my thing. Puritan werent bad though.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Great list, a few bands I hadn't heard yet, I'll be sure to get some of their stuff .
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
This got better reception than I thought it would, glad you guys liked at least some of it

Godly list and excellent song choices. Children of Satan FTMFW.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Quote by Kepulix
This got better reception than I thought it would, glad you guys liked at least some of it

I almost feel like saying Traditional Doom and just straight up Doom metal are the least trendy infected Metal genres, so it makes it that much easier to find really kick ass music.

I've still been in the mood for Rawr Conan Doom, so I've been listening to a lot of Keen of the Crow.

I would like more Traditional Doom in that vein though.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by korinaflyingv
Only heard the Warning track out of those... I'll check it out after I've finished my Fairport binge.

So you've never heard Candlemass?
I quite liked Serpentcult and Grand Magus, and already knew Pentagram, Candlemass, and Warning.

The Lamp of Thoth I knew as well, but they aren't anything special IMO.
I'm surprised you hadn't heard Grand Magus.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by VampireGoldfish
I almost feel like saying Traditional Doom and just straight up Doom metal are the least trendy infected Metal genres, so it makes it that much easier to find really kick ass music.

I've still been in the mood for Rawr Conan Doom, so I've been listening to a lot of Keen of the Crow.

Yeah, pretty much.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
lol this is the chance to change my opinion on Lamp of Thoth...

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by VampireGoldfish

That's The Gates Of Slumber for you hahha
Quote by Psychopathology
Can I get on the list for Feb. 13th?

I'll add you up to the list
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
lol this is the chance to change my opinion on Lamp of Thoth...

I thought you liked them hahha

Quote by Kepulix
That's The Gates Of Slumber for you hahha

Yeah but I've been listening to GoS for years, have two CD's even. Just trying to find more stuff that I'm pretty sure is out there.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Not exactly what you're looking for, but if you like Conan, you should check out Crom from US

The only band I have even heard of on that list was Candlemass...but i'm hooked on Warning now. I loved that list, such great songs.
Quote by Kepulix
Not exactly what you're looking for, but if you like Conan, you should check out Crom from US

Really the best way i described it was

Quote by VampireGoldfish
Looking for some leather-clad muscle men who wrote about crushing skulls and destroying their enemies.

Traditional Heavy Metal or old school no "Faeries/Hobbits" Power Metal.

Its not exactly Conan I'm looking for, but the Conan attitude in Traditional Heavy and Old School Power. Crushing skulls, fucking *****s, barehandedly slaying men and beast, chugging an ale and crushing sorcerers...

Less high fantasy I guess.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Ahh... well, you probably are already familiar with all of these bands, but it's worth a shot
Isen Torr, Battleroar, Minotauri, Brocas Helm, Doomsword, Manilla Road, Ironsword, Battle Ram, Holy Martyr, Atlantean Kodex, Witchkiller, Arpyian Horde, Wrathblade...

sick playlist!
Quote by megadeth rule
how do you trip on acid? was your shoelace untied?

Quote by perry589
Mikko, you remind me of a clogged up toilet. You're the poo that won't go away.