Okay so yesterday I got a new pickup and I was starting to install it. As I went to strip one of the wires coming from it I actually cut it(muppet!). This means there is not enough length for it to reach the pot to which it needs to be soldered. It's a seymour duncan little '59 for telecaster.

Can I just solder another wire onto the now shortened wire coming from the pickup to extend it, can it be any wire or are there specific wires that need to be used in guitar wiring? Will the tone be altered at all?

Thanks for any help.
Fender Telecaster Custom '72 reissue
Yamaha F310
Vox Valvetronix Tonelab SE
You could add another short piece of wire, or just take the current wire off altogether and replace it with new wire - make things a bit less messy.
Yeah, you can do that. Maybe cover the solder joint with some electrical tape or something. It's not as neat as blue_strat's suggestion, but it's easier.
Haven't you heard?

It's a battle of words
cool cheers guys.
Yamaha F310
Okay so i've done a full-boat rewire. I used thicker wire than what came stock. Although I haven't restrung it or put the pickguard back on, I've tried pluggin it in and seems to be making quite a bit of noise.

My brother who doesn't know anything about guitars has suggested the thicker wire has increased resistivity which has caused the noise. Is he right? If not how do get rid of the noise?
Yamaha F310
thicker wires will reduce the resistance, but only by a very tiny amount i doubt that thicker wires is the problem
thanks mr tamberineman!
Yamaha F310