I just recently started learning how to play the guitar and I have a question about scales patterns. I know a few C patterns and I know each major scale has about 5 patterns.

What I 'm really confused is how one knows when to use the patterns.For argument sake lets say I pick an E flat note randomly on the board and would like to play the major scale pattern for it. How do I know which scale pattern to use ?

In my case I would play the standard C (5th string,3rd Fret) 2nd position scale pattern with Eflat as the root and that tends to work. But I have been looking on youtube and everyone seems to have a different scale pattern.

I have noticed the fingerings(fingering based on max of 3 notes per string on 4/5 frets) below seems to work but I cant help feeling sometimes the patterns are rather random.

2 4
1 2 4
1 3 4
1 3 4
2 4
1 2

or

2 4
1 2 4
1 2 4
1 3 4
2 4
1 3 5

Thanks
Chib
Scale patterns are never random, because scale patterns will by definition contain all the notes of a specific scale.

There's no "when to use the patterns" - that's up to you, but as a rule you don't actually play scales. Straight scale runs appear very rarely in music, instead people use the notes of the scale to construct things that are a bit more interesting. The pattern just tells you what notes are there to be used in any particular place, it doesn't tell you how to use those notes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com