Not sure if this belongs in here...

But are anyone of you serious musicians who have been playing for a while but cannot find anyone else that plays your style to play with?

I have play Heavy and progressive metal for 7 years and have not found anyone that is decent and plays the same style to jam with. I also have never been in a full band and thus have played in front of my stereo system for pretty much my whole musical "career"

It could also be becuase I live in minneapolis, where everyone is obssessed with experimental indie music.
yeah, I live out in the middle of nowhere in north dakota. LUCKILY i have a twin who has talent. So we can jam a lot, but it kind of sucks not even knowing someone else who can play something faster than yankee doodle dandy. There was this one kid, but he's stuck in the marines now, in boot camp a few states down. It sucks too, I wasn't really good enough to just plain jam till he left.
COLORS!

OMG

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Also, people who wear Monster swag are automatically douches.
Yeah, it sucks, no ones on my level, and no one has any bit of style
Smart Pothead and Proud
I was in the same situation, so i just wrote my own stuff. I just started meeting a bunch of people who are into the same thing though
Well Luckily I had a few friends that played guitar but I managed to convince some other friends to go play some instruments 2 ! ;D Now I got a small garage band style jam group
im in the situation because i have friends who play guitar but they are into poppy indie which is not what im looking for.
My suggestion to you is hit every open mic night you can find. There you will find every type of musician possible. Thats what I did!
Quote by Robbertto
yeah, I live out in the middle of nowhere in north dakota. LUCKILY i have a twin who has talent. So we can jam a lot, but it kind of sucks not even knowing someone else who can play something faster than yankee doodle dandy. There was this one kid, but he's stuck in the marines now, in boot camp a few states down. It sucks too, I wasn't really good enough to just plain jam till he left.

I live in Western north dakota too it sucks.
Quote by psychosylocibin
Not sure if this belongs in here...

But are anyone of you serious musicians who have been playing for a while but cannot find anyone else that plays your style to play with?

I have play Heavy and progressive metal for 7 years and have not found anyone that is decent and plays the same style to jam with. I also have never been in a full band and thus have played in front of my stereo system for pretty much my whole musical "career"

It could also be becuase I live in minneapolis, where everyone is obssessed with experimental indie music.
Well, there's your problem.

No offense to guitarists, but generally a guitarist isn't nearly as smart as a pianist or a brass player. This is especially true for metal and "experimental indie" music (if your music isn't experimental and pushing boundaries, it's not a good song). Let's face it, most of them only seem musically intelligent, alot of them barely know how to write a real song.

My suggestion is this, give up the metal guitarist thing. Learn jazz guitar, hang out in jazz clubs, wait for a chance to perform with a band. If you get a rep, people will start respecting you, talking to you and will want to play with you (especially misguided kids who think they're more creative than they are). You need to find the right club or coffeeshop though.
BTW, that's^ not my idea. A guy I know did that.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight

No offense to guitarists, but generally a guitarist isn't nearly as smart as a pianist or a brass player. This is especially true for metal and "experimental indie" music (if your music isn't experimental and pushing boundaries, it's not a good song). Let's face it, most of them only seem musically intelligent, alot of them barely know how to write a real song.

My suggestion is this, give up the metal guitarist thing. Learn jazz guitar, hang out in jazz clubs, wait for a chance to perform with a band. If you get a rep, people will start respecting you, talking to you and will want to play with you (especially misguided kids who think they're more creative than they are). You need to find the right club or coffeeshop though.

Give up? Why should he give up something he's into for something he isn't(as much atleast)? Play the music you like to enjoy it, and if you look hard enough you will find other people who enjoy the same type of music. Playing another style of music, such as Jazz, would make him a better guitarist, but to just completely change his style doesn't make sense.
In my grade alone at school, there are 15 guitarists.
10 are pretty dodgy, the other 5 are good.

Try look for jazz-clubs and the like. Proficient musicians regularly attend them.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Not soo much with prog rock, I'm into funk and latin sounds most.
I have the same problem, no-one wants to make anything near the same direction as what I want to do, I want to do something that has not been done before and have my own style, but alot of people in London are not interested

Recently myspace loving cam***** sheep with no sense of being individuals have been giving making "music" a shot, and they all the sound the same to me, you know how Airbourne are copycats of AC/DC, well alot of bands I have seen have been thinking the same thing with Trivium, BFMV and Bringmethehairstraighteners

I dont know much about music theory and cant play like Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai and cannot explain all technical stuff with music - but I know what I like and dont like, I know when a song sounds good, and I can play pretty well

Well I am only 17, so I have plenty of time to find people who want to go the same direction as me.
Quote by Frosted Flakes
Give up? Why should he give up something he's into for something he isn't(as much atleast)? Play the music you like to enjoy it, and if you look hard enough you will find other people who enjoy the same type of music. Playing another style of music, such as Jazz, would make him a better guitarist, but to just completely change his style doesn't make sense.

+1

I'd much rather played something I enjoy on my own than something I don't with other people.

TS, maybe give some of these people who don't play metal. You could play some metal songs, some indie (or whatever) songs as long as you are all open minded enough it could work. Who knows, you might end up the totally new genre Indie-Metal (or something that sounds less retarded.
craigslist

Go out and see more bands, try and meet people. I dont know, you can't sit around playing by yourself all the time. Playing with other musicians is such an important part of learning the guitar imo
Quote by demonofthenight

Knowing alot of music theory doesn't make you a smart person, but a knowledgeable person. Those 2 things are entirely different.

Even if you know all the info in the world, this doesn't necessarily means ur intelligent.

Everyone can learn all music theory if they have enough time. I mean I'm guessing you can't speak japanese, but I bet there are people that have far lower intel then you who can talk it fluently.

This doesn't make you less smart.

It's so obvious, seriously

Once again learning knowledge doesn't equal intel, it's exploring knowledge, and the speed of how fast u see connections between things.

And what's a "real" song. Why are u becoming so overly elitist lately?

Why should he give up the thing he loves

That being said;

TS, You can look into recording stuff urself, and do collabs over the internet. Ultimately if you seriously wanna start a band, you could try moving to a different city, or even just go to clubs in a neighbouring city.

You can also ask if you may fit ads at music stores.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 1, 2009,
I find it difficult to find people because of my age - basically, anyone who I'd be interested in playing and who is musically able is going to various institutions to improve themselves.

Trying to set up a Jazz duo atm. Wish me luck.
Quote by Freepower
I find it difficult to find people because of my age - basically, anyone who I'd be interested in playing and who is musically able is going to various institutions to improve themselves.

GL

I'm lucky that in Amsterdam there are lottttttttts of musician's and good ones like you would be like why aren't they well known.

Because we are a small country and everyone overlooks us.

Eddie van Halen had luck with being born in netherlands and going to America, or else he'd be stuck in the netherlands forever without the impact he had.

Just look at Jan Akkerman, voted 5 times best guitarist in the world, and he's hardly known, because of our small country.

It's sad Tbh.

We do have Vincent van Gogh, Escher, Rembrandt and Mondriaan, but they are noticed because of the good era they lived in.

Now all good dutch artists go by unnoticed

Oh we also have aeyron

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I have the same problem i play bass and the only bands around are hardcore or bands tht dont last to long. And i swear there r only 3 drummers in toledo cause u can never find one.
Same problem here. Everyone is obsessed with playing grunge where I live. Mainly because Kurt Cobain grew up in the same town. I've always been more interested in neoclassical and progressive metal but half the guitarists here don't even tune their guitars...
Quote by 36mikeyb36
Yeah, it sucks, no ones on my level, and no one has any bit of style

this is the problem for me i've played for a couple of years and everyone is either theory junkies (I myself have no idea on that subject I play by tab and ear)or they can't be bothered learning how to not wank on the guitar...or they play country
I have a pet bassist that just got a Tele Copy.

So I no longer have any musicians on my level to play with, because he REFUSES to play bass, now.
Playing the complex music most of us like requires an enormous time committment. Most people (including you, probably) won't be willing to dedicate that much time to music when they have to deal with work and school.

I've written music that would be unbelievably difficult to pull off as a band, though it's lots of weird vocal harmonies moreso that speedy passages. It would require a full-time job (time-wise, at least) to play that kind of music.

You probably won't have as much trouble finding a few people just to have a jam. I'm older than most of you guys (22 in two weeks...yikes!), but don't be afraid to jam with some older people, maybe a friend of your dad. Just remember..."No touching!"
I am having the same issue. I live in Lincoln, NE and the music scene here is decent at best. I have posted ads everywhere about starting up a band and almost anyone who has contacted me has completely different tastes.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Playing the complex music most of us like requires an enormous time committment. Most people (including you, probably) won't be willing to dedicate that much time to music when they have to deal with work and school.

I've written music that would be unbelievably difficult to pull off as a band, though it's lots of weird vocal harmonies moreso that speedy passages. It would require a full-time job (time-wise, at least) to play that kind of music.

You probably won't have as much trouble finding a few people just to have a jam. I'm older than most of you guys (22 in two weeks...yikes!), but don't be afraid to jam with some older people, maybe a friend of your dad. Just remember..."No touching!"

Yes, I jam with house bands every week, but I live in Amsterdam. I have no clue how TS's area look like and all that stuff.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Yeah I have this problem, All my friends are into video games so they don't ever wanna do anything else. I just really wanna be in a band, I don't even care what the style of music is, Just wanna play music.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Finding a drummer is a pain in the ass around here.

And I've got this strange effect on people that makes some of them hate me, so that lessens my chances. But I've got two guitarists, so we're almost there.
Quote by Freepower

I'd love to play with you.

But I'm going to a various institution to improve myself, sorry.
i started out in a really really awful band and pretty much it was all i had because no one else where i live plays the kind of music i wanted to make. i started writing and recording loads of songs myself and eventually my band broke up (thank god) so that was an incentive for me to find some random guys to jam with.

after a while i realised that the best guys for the job are the people i never really considered to start with, the stoners and the metal dudes - i wanted just a straight simple rock band but i realised we had similar tastes in music after getting to know them not to mention a great chemistry on stage, and now we rule the world (in our heads) so its all gooood.

so what im saying really is dont look for people who want to play exactly the same music as you if there arent any, because the guys you never thought about could be what you really need

i think? maybe im rambling :s
Quote by Freepower
Pah, by the time you're out you'll realise I'm useless anyway.

Move to Ireland, all of you.

It's gonna take me about 5 years, we'll have a stand-off then.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
GL

I'm lucky that in Amsterdam there are lottttttttts of musician's and good ones like you would be like why aren't they well known.

Because we are a small country and everyone overlooks us.

Eddie van Halen had luck with being born in netherlands and going to America, or else he'd be stuck in the netherlands forever without the impact he had.

Just look at Jan Akkerman, voted 5 times best guitarist in the world, and he's hardly known, because of our small country.

It's sad Tbh.

We do have Vincent van Gogh, Escher, Rembrandt and Mondriaan, but they are noticed because of the good era they lived in.

Now all good dutch artists go by unnoticed

Oh we also have aeyron

And we kick ass at female fronted bands aswell :P

Anyway, even in Rotterdam in Holland it's had to get a group together. After Like 5 months (I joined in during the third) we finally have a band. So yeah, it will always remain hard. Especially in finding actually more then average metal heads .
Yeah my town is kind of the same way

All we have are either people who feel that music has to be "undiscovered" and indie

or they're jazz snobs

i'm not saying that jazz is bad, it's just the snobbish part that infuriates me.

For example I was in a band with some friends but they happened to be that jazz snob people and all i heard from them was, "Oh your rock music sucks and that guitars are useless," so I basically quit.

I wish the people who played rock/metal would walk around wearing a sign that said please jam with me.
Try going to your local music store (NOT GUITAR CENTER), and just grab a guitar and play for a while. By the end of the day, you will probably have jammed with 5 different people.
Guitar Center is one of the only places I know that will let people just sit around and play, in smaller shops if you clearly aren't interested in buying something they'll usually ask you to leave

i dont get why everyone talks **** on guitar center, it has by far the biggest selection of anything music related in Austin. Theres smaller local shops but their gear is usually even more expensive
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Guitar Center is one of the only places I know that will let people just sit around and play, in smaller shops if you clearly aren't interested in buying something they'll usually ask you to leave

i dont get why everyone talks **** on guitar center, it has by far the biggest selection of anything music related in Austin. Theres smaller local shops but their gear is usually even more expensive

The Guitar Center in Charlotte, the salesmen are always bothering you, and trying to get you to buy something. But when I do need new gear, Guitar Center usually does have the lowest prices...
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Guitar Center is one of the only places I know that will let people just sit around and play

It's really not a place to sit and play. It's their call though. I went looking for an amp. There was a guy sitting and playing right next to an amp I wanted to try. I patiently waited and waited and waited ... after about an hour, he didn't appear to be winding down so I walked. They lost a potential sale. I thought it was pretty rude and self-centered. I doubt he was buying. GC has volume, but if you're not interested in walls of Les Pauls and relic'd Strats -- not much in the way of unique stuff.

As far as playing with people, my brother-in-law plays and I know people here and there, but I don't depend on anything other than myself to enjoy playing. I'm just interested in seeing how far I can go with it, so my wife is my only audience and she just usually says to turn it down (to be fair she says "that sounds good" once in a while too).