Quote by Prisoner5
I looked through the tutorial threads but couldn't find an answer...In order to insert fretwire, does one need the oress or are there alternative methods/ tools?

By "oress" I assume you mean, Press.

From what I understand, it is better to be able to do it with a hammer (soft head), then get a press when you have mastered it, if you feel the need to.

It is certainly cheaper to use a hammer. Some people have converted a caul holder, to fit into an existing pillar drill that they have and use that as a press, so saving quite a few "bucks".
I much prefer the press method. I just bought the holder with adapters and use it in my drill press. Ive used a hammer but doubt I will again.
I press, I dont like the sound of hammering in fretwire into my guitar, getting set up with a arbor press and caul is not that expensive either.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
How tough is it to do a refretting job myself? I've had my electric for 5 years now, and the frets are getting pretty worn down. I might just need a fret level and dress (or are they the same thing?). Could I do this too, or does it require a lot of precision?
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
^^^Yea you gotta have some precision when doing any fret work. Or it will end up worse than when you started. You need some decent tools and an idea of what your doing.
Alright well I have these huge metal cutters in my basement, and some hammers.... Are there different types of fretwire? Is it possible that I might order fretwire that doesn't fit my fretboard slots?
How much would it cost for a fret leveling and redress from a local?
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Terribly sorry to bump a 4 day old thread, but I have answers.

The tang of the fretwire (the part that goes in the slots) is a universal size.

A fret level and dress can be around $100 or more. Get a quote from your local shop.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.