Will someone please create an article on how to hold the plectrum properly?I could not find a single article on this site dealing with this topic.
I don't honestly think that you need a whole article on it.

Just hold the widest part of the plectrum with your thumb and index finger, with the point facing outwards.

100%EDIT: And also, Google. There's about 40,000 results.
100%EDIT: My post sounded angry. I am very sorry
Last edited by 100%guitarmad at Jan 9, 2009,
in between your thumb and the side of your index finger, search on google if that doesn't make sense

I am the King of Carrot Flowers

Hold it however you want, there's no rulebook.
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Whatever is comfortable.

I pick a few different ways depending on how i'm playing; alternate picking, downstrokes etc.
Quote by DirtyMakik
Listen to this man, he's got Alex in his avatar, he knows his sh!t.

Quote by dubstar92
awesome avatar dude

Wow a signature
I have a question-when u do pinch harmonics, u hold the pick so that only a little bit sticks out. If a song has pinch harmonics. do you have to hold the pick like that for the whole song?
If you're not even sure how to hold a plectrum yet it's a little premature to be worrying about pinch harmonics.

Put them on the backburner for a few months, you're not going to have a chance of learning them until you can pick properly, and you're not going to be able to do that until you've figured out how to hold the plectrum.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
thanks man, the help is really appreciated. i wasnt sure if i was holding the plectrum properly. while i was downpicking it was ok. if i do alternate(the only other picking style i know), the plectrum slips all the time. Thanks for replying! Really appreciated