Avatar 2x12 with 2x v30s $348.00

or

Buy from a dude locally a Jdesign 2x12 cab and load with veteran 30s $346.00

Does the avatar include shipping?

If they are both thye same price total... I go for the new cab with better speaker

Or tell the local guy to lower his price because you can get better for the same price
Last edited by stangconv at Jan 9, 2009,
yes, that is with the shipping included. So you think the Avatar with v30s would be the way to go.
Quote by Chaosinborn
yes, that is with the shipping included. So you think the Avatar with v30s would be the way to go.

What kind of music do you play? I use Vintage 30's and I really like them.

I would totally go with the avatar, better speakers and its brand new
i say the avatar is the way to go. and btw, what head are you gonna use it with? i feel like you said it in a recent thread, but i dont remember
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
That JDesign cab looks to have very thin ply.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Jan 9, 2009,
I'd go for the JDesign, what kind of speakers are in there now?

Avatar is horribly overrated on this forum, especially considering I bet a bunch of the people saying Avatar would pick it over something like a Stoneage or Mojo cabinet as well, for no other reason than because they don't know anything about Stoneage or Mojo.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 9, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I'd go for the JDesign, what kind of speakers are in there now?

Warehouse 30's which are a cheap Vintage 30 clone

Any reason why you would go with the used JDesign with the knock off speakers over the new Avatar with the real deal speakers?
Quote by stangconv
Warehouse 30's which are a cheap Vintage 30 clone

Because he said to buy the cab and LOAD with Warehouse 30s, implying that there was a speaker other than the Warehouse speakers in there. Most JDesigns I've seen already come stock with Celestions or Eminence speakers.

Any reason why you would go with the used JDesign with the knock off speakers over the new Avatar with the real deal speakers?

Because it's a better cabinet...?

Honestly, I don't even see how there is a debate here. All people are going to do is look at the speakers and look at the brand, I can almost guarantee you that none of these people suggesting Avatar have EVER played through a JDesign cabinet, in fact, I am willing to bet none of the people who have commented thus far have ever even heard of JDesign, and like you will just jump to the conclusion that it is some cheap, budget cab with knock off speakers. In reality, JDesign is a small company where all their cabs are handbuilt by one guy using better materials have better construction than any budget cab like an Avatar. You don't hear much about them here because 1) most people here are into mass produced gear and 2) it's a small operation.

To the TS:

Do yourself a favor and go see if you can play through that JDesign cab. This is not really the place to ask about a cab like that seeing as I highly doubt you'd get any sort of positive feedback from people who have never heard of the make and will generally just recommend what they are familiar with, and thus you see all these recommendations for Avatar (which is laughable to me). I don't like talking up other boards but this is a case where you might want to ask some people on places like TGP or HC as for the most part, makes such as JDesigns are a bit more common there.
Quote by al112987
Because he said to buy the cab and LOAD with Warehouse 30s, implying that there was a speaker other than the Warehouse speakers in there. Most JDesigns I've seen already come stock with Celestions or Eminence speakers.

Because it's a better cabinet...?

Honestly, I don't even see how there is a debate here. All people are going to do is look at the speakers and look at the brand, I can almost guarantee you that none of these people suggesting Avatar have EVER played through a JDesign cabinet, in fact, I am willing to bet none of the people who have commented thus far have ever even heard of JDesign, and like you will just jump to the conclusion that it is some cheap, budget cab with knock off speakers. In reality, JDesign is a small company where all their cabs are handbuilt by one guy using better materials have better construction than any budget cab like an Avatar. You don't hear much about them here because 1) most people here are into mass produced gear and 2) it's a small operation.

To the TS:

Do yourself a favor and go see if you can play through that JDesign cab. This is not really the place to ask about a cab like that seeing as I highly doubt you'd get any sort of positive feedback from people who have never heard of the make and will generally just recommend what they are familiar with, and thus you see all these recommendations for Avatar (which is laughable to me). I don't like talking up other boards but this is a case where you might want to ask some people on places like TGP or HC as for the most part, makes such as JDesigns are a bit more common there.

+1

Also theres a pretty good following of guys that prefer the Warehouse 30's over the Vintage 30's. So you might be getting into something you wont like in the first place just because its main stream and branded. I would play both and decide from there like stated.
Yep, if I'm not wrong Veteran 30s smooth out the mids a bit in the V30s?

And also, Stangconv:

It's not Celestions are always the best option, I mean, they're an easy suggestion, but there are a lot of "knock offs" that sound better. I mean, are speakers such as Webers or Scumbacks not "knock offs"? I'd take a Scumback H75 over a g12h30 anniversary and a H55 over a g12h30 heritage 10 times out of 10. Price is not always indicative of quality, I mean, hell, I'd take an Eminence Private Jack over the standard Greenback, the heritage Greenback is good speaker but by then cost many times the price of the Eminence.
That JDesign cab doesn't have WGS Veteran30s in it. From the looks of the speakers through the back of the cab in his other thread it has a set of Celestion alnico blues or possibly WGS Black & Blue alnico speakers.

I have a cab with WGS Veteran 30s and the back of them looks very different than what is in the pic here

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041613

EDIT: Actually after a closer look I am pretty sure its the WGS Black & Blue, they have a black basket with a blue magnet cover.
Last edited by Demigawd at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Yep, if I'm not wrong Veteran 30s smooth out the mids a bit in the V30s?

And also, Stangconv:

It's not Celestions are always the best option, I mean, they're an easy suggestion, but there are a lot of "knock offs" that sound better. I mean, are speakers such as Webers or Scumbacks not "knock offs"? I'd take a Scumback H75 over a g12h30 anniversary and a H55 over a g12h30 heritage 10 times out of 10. Price is not always indicative of quality, I mean, hell, I'd take an Eminence Private Jack over the standard Greenback, the heritage Greenback is good speaker but by then cost many times the price of the Eminence.

Ok I will admit to thinking that Jdesign was jut some cheap company... I guess I was wrong.

However, I played the Vetran 30's and i was so not impressed. I really undertand that more money =/= better performance ( I replaced a VS Jeckyl & Hyde OD on my board becaue I liked the bad monkey better)

For Metal I would choose a Vintage 30 over the Vet 30 hands down...

Anyways I will give another option...You could get the Jdesign, and look for some used Vintage 30's
Quote by Demigawd
That JDesign cab doesn't have WGS Veteran30s in it. From the looks of the speakers through the back of the cab in his other thread it has a set of Celestion alnico blues or possibly WGS Black & Blue alnico speakers.

I have a cab with WGS Veteran 30s and the back of them looks very different than what is in the pic here

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041613

EDIT: Actually after a closer look I am pretty sure its the WGS Black & Blue, they have a black basket with a blue magnet cover.

I'd buy that cab, it'd go perfectly with my JTM45, and for $348? That's just a sick price for a custom cab with two alnico speakers...