Hey everybody, ive been playing guitar for about a year and half now and I recently stumbled apon ultimate guitar, hoping im posting this in the right area.

Anyways, im looking for suggestions on new things to practice. I use guitar pro alot in my practicing, and i like to practice alot of diffrent metal and rock songs.

Recently ive been playing:
The Dissentience By Protest the Hero (learned about half the song)
Dam That River By Alice In Chains (Easy, sounds cool to play)
Byob By System of a down (alot of fast picking, still kinda easy)
Kissing the Shadows By Children of Bodom (trying hard to learn it)
Erotomania By Dream Theater (trying hard to learn this to)

I know I havent fully learned all those songs, and some of them are far from my skill ability, but ive learned that if i take to long to learn something Ill usally be able to do it later if i drop it for awhile and learn other stuff first.
Taking what ive been recently practicing and my current status of only been playing a year, can anyone give me some suggestions for what songs I should attempt to learn next?

thanks
try not using guitar pro as a learning tool that much cause with time it turns into Guitar hero, ddr, rock star were the screen tells you how/what to play

I my self look for "chord" tabs and try to figuere it out by ear using the chord tab as a guide, it will also help you build up your ears to figuere out song by your self with out help from tabs

I also been playing a year and half

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
You could try practicing things other than "Songs"

Some soloing stuff~ or Basic chord stuff~
..Did you just want other songs to practice?
- to Make ourselves more than we are
Quote by Nagashiro
try not using guitar pro as a learning tool that much cause with time it turns into Guitar hero, ddr, rock star were the screen tells you how/what to play

I my self look for "chord" tabs and try to figuere it out by ear using the chord tab as a guide, it will also help you build up your ears to figuere out song by your self with out help from tabs

I also been playing a year and half

Wow. A whole 1.5 years, and you're already an authority.

Seriously though...Guitar Pro == Guitar Hero? Are you for real, or did you just take a lot of drugs before dropping that tidbit of wisdom on us?
Quote by XahXhaX
Wow. A whole 1.5 years, and you're already an authority.

Seriously though...Guitar Pro == Guitar Hero? Are you for real, or did you just take a lot of drugs before dropping that tidbit of wisdom on us?

I agree. Guitar Pro=Guitar Hero is like calling a piece of sheet music the same thing. Music has been written in many forms for years to let other people play their stuff. It saves the time of trying to learn by ear, which means more time to practise.

Eventually, your ears will train themselves. Maybe not as fast, but whatever...
Quote by GymboJones
I agree. Guitar Pro=Guitar Hero is like calling a piece of sheet music the same thing. Music has been written in many forms for years to let other people play their stuff. It saves the time of trying to learn by ear, which means more time to practise.

Agreed tab is there so that you can learn the riff faster so you have more time to perfect it.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by GymboJones

Nagashiro gave a good point, ill take every bit of advice into consideration.

Thanks for the help guys.
Learn some scales. Pentatonics are fun. Helps with soloing too. As for like shredding, I used Metal Militia by Metallica as my training aid to build up a good palm mute shred.