Ok I bought a computer just for recording and I was wondering what specs I should consider for a hard drive. Ive done some reasearch and it seems that firewire/7200 rpm/8MB cache and 500GB would be a solid choice? If not what should I look for?

Sorry for the typo, I meant GB
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Last edited by occub at Jan 9, 2009,
Quote by wooftang999
do you m,ean 500 GB

I think he does,
If that's what you mean, then yeah go for that - I'd go for half that but go for whatever you need.
500GB is a nice average
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Jan 9, 2009,
500 mb is a little small for an external hard drive. With that size you might be better off getting flash drive for like $5 thats 1gb.
yeah, sounds great, buy about 1000 of these and that should cover your storage needs.
lp345: It's a virus
rage6945: i went on a little bit torrent spree and got Jay-z's black album
nebno6:Maybe it's god punishing you for having a bad music taste.
nowa90:UGNED!!
Quote by occub
Ok I bought a computer just for recording and I was wondering what specs I should consider for a hard drive. Ive done some reasearch and it seems that firewire/7200 rpm/8MB cache and 500GB would be a solid choice? If not what should I look for?

Sorry for the typo, I meant GB

I would stay away from a brand called Fantom Drives. I had gotten one a while back and after 7 months it crashed and I lost some data. Eventually they replaced it for me under the warranty...but even still, I got a 500GB internal for my main drive and use the 500GB external as a backup, (I also keep the power off on it most of the time).

If you are running a desktop just go with an internal drive. They are much more stable and with a SATA connection they transfer data faster.
You could also get an internal drive and a case to put it in. This means you can pick out a high quality drive brand such as Seagate and use it without any problems.

A 500GB is plenty of space. I do a lot of video work and even for me that is plenty. You may be fine with something lower but IMO having that extra space is nice for backups and such.

So yea, stay with Western Digital or Seagate drives. Sometimes externals will say whats in the case...other times they wont.